Tigerspike Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Tigerspike CEO Alex Burke
Alex Burke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Opportunity to travel is a huge plus, along with the ability to learn new things and constantly be challenged, in a good way (in 8 reviews)

• Opportunities to work from around the world (if you want to) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no annual appraisal process which would motivate employees to work for incentives (in 2 reviews)

• Showcasing the good work we do in a bit better way(This also needs help from the employees I believe) (in 2 reviews)

"Design Team"

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Tigerspike full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is great.
    Support career development
    Support relocation

Cons

Until now, everything is great!

May 9, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. We have really worked hard at creating a platform for career development in the business. It is nice to hear you have recognised this and people are seeing value in the... More

"Great company"

I have been working at Tigerspike full-time

Pros

Culture is great. People are talented and friendly.

Cons

Management is not transparent sometimes.

Aug 15, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback and the heads up regarding transparency. It is important for us to be open and transparent so that we build trust with our team and our customers. We will look to improve in... More

"Amazing Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - XD Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - XD Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tigerspike full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company provides awesome opportunities for its employees such as traveling to other offices in different countries and providing stipends for professional/ personal development.

In addition, the company believes in fostering experts in the industry. It wants the employees to not only be i.e. XD designers but XD designers that specialized in i.e. interactions or information architect. If an employee is more senior and wants to venture into writing or teaching opportunities, then the company will work with her to accomplish that goal.

Overall, Tigerspike values prosperity in its employees, which reflects in the success with clients and the company's fast paced growth.

Cons

• no on-boarding
    • work can be hectic at times

May 1, 2017 – CEO

I'm very proud that we have been able to encourage many of the Tigerspike Team to work in different offices around the globe. Over 10% of the team have actually moved to another office in their time... More

"A breath of fresh air!"

I have been working at Tigerspike full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked at Tigerspike for 2 years, it has been refreshing to work with a group of people who are talented and passionate about their work, and want to work collectively as a team. You feel like you are a part of a global company as you are encouraged to build relationships with colleagues around the global offices, learning from one another. Opportunity to travel is a huge plus, along with the ability to learn new things and constantly be challenged, in a good way.

Cons

The company is still growing, so at times the work can be a bit overloaded.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the team to make sure everyone understands the company goals and how they can play a part in the company’s continued success.

Mar 7, 2017 – CEO

Great to get your feedback. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the team environment. The advice to management is a good one. We must continue to share our business goals so that everyone is clear on... More

"Toxic & Messy, Don't Bother (No Money/No Clients)"

I worked at Tigerspike full-time

Pros

- Slightly above average health insurance and vacation time
    - Global offices
    - Weekly company status meetings
    - Weekly lunches
    - Attempts at regular weekly team communications
    - Pseudo-start up environment

Cons

- Archaic and inefficient systems and processes; company has supposedly been around for more than 13 years and still lacking basic business operations and policies. Growing pains? Nice try.
    - No real on-boarding and no one answers questions
    - No training or exposure on products they've developed in-house and actively sell to clients
    - Not as many clients or projects as they claim to have or pointless low-rent projects
    - Dirty, mismanaged office space, kitchen and bathrooms always a sticky, smelly, and a disgusting mess. No coffee, no ice and drinking water is often broken or out of order and temperature is constantly an issue. Internet goes out often. You might as well be camping.
    - Dated scratch-and-dent sale equipment or generally stingy about the basic needs of any creative as some bring their own personal supplies to do work.
    - Everything is designed by committee with people who are not on the team, don’t have the skill, and all trying to serve the same role, this is NOT collaboration, not even close.
    - They will throw you in the deep end with a project then interfere and unnecessarily complicate with misdirection, miscommunication, and actively pitting people against each other. You will be blamed for their gross mismanagement (see previous reviewer's comment of throwing people under the bus)
    - None of the projects are ever scoped correctly, they bow to every unreasonable client whim even if its out of scope (read: desperate)
    - Lack of accountability; ’not being in the weeds’ is code for you have no idea what is going on on any level, nor do you care
    - When you speak with recruiters who ask about your experiences and mention your company has been blacklisted for not paying their bills (hundreds of thousands of dollars). Pay very close attention to when they owe you money.

**The People: Typically the one benefit of a smaller shop is working with really great, talented people. This place does not follow that premise. The people here are really ugly to each other, grossly inexperienced/unprofessional, and will joke about getting you fired. Passive aggressiveness aside, make no mistake, this is an actively and openly hostile environment. There are at least two walking lawsuits waiting to happen and a few that are definitely mentally/emotionally unstable. Management seems to continue to look the other way despite numerous incidents. Trying to collaborate on any client activity is a nightmare as they will go out of their way to make you look bad by purposefully ignoring/excluding, outright sabotaging your work before a presentation, or finding some other way to degrade your integrity in front of management or clients.

Some cringey things witnessed include baby talk during client presentations, outright saying you know nothing about your clients’ needs or business during a client work sessions, or making statements to a client that defy the most basic usability, technical, or design fundamentals. Faking it only works for those that have some foundation for the discipline they are pretending to be a part of.

The skill, experience, (and talent) is painfully lacking. Its as if it was set up as a design reject day care center, sponsored by GA. You can literally pluck any person off the street in NYC to do a better job of handling your digital business.

Advice to Management

The word vomit at the front door and the dusty foosball table does not make for a creative culture. Stop giving carte blanch to the toxic people you choose to keep on, pay attention to the revolving door pattern. Anyone worth their salt will not tolerate the nonsense. People (especially clients) notice these things and you can’t fake the skill and thinking when there is no foundation. Hire people that actually have skills and experience and let them do their jobs! Weed out those that are threatened by skill and experience. Cheap unskilled labor is driving the business and it absolutely shows.

Jan 18, 2017 – CEO

Hello, it is disappointing to read your review this morning. I'm sorry you feel so upset about your experience. I can assure you that is the last thing we want you to feel. You have raised the issue... More

"Good"

Pros

Good atmosphere, interesting work, fair management.

Cons

Can be hectic at times, not much high level development.

Dec 19, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated. Project work can vary at times, so hopefully more challenging projects will be coming your way soon. We know this is important for our teams professional... More

"Excellent team!"

Former Employee - Mobile Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mobile Developer in New York, NY

Pros

I worked as a contract mobile developer on a project in 2016. The entire team was incredibly talented, organized and friendly.

As a contract developer, I have worked at many different digital shops, Tigerspike is definitely one of the best teams I had the pleasure of joining.

Cons

None. I had no problems at all during the course of the project.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. It was a pleasure working with you.

Nov 21, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your response. We appreciate your feedback. It is nice for the Tigerspike New York team to hear that. Cheers, Alex

"Commercial"

Pros

room for growth, lots of opportunity to learn from senior people, people are awesome to work with, growing business with some cool clients

Cons

more opp to travel in my role, onboarding was a bit short

Dec 4, 2016 – CEO

Good to hear you see room for growth and opportunities to learn at Tigerspike. Commercial roles are often tied to a specific customer/region, which can limit travel. That said, as we develop broader... More

9. "Great opportunities for growth and learning"

I have been working at Tigerspike full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- As a global company, there's a lot of support and opportunities for visiting and working in other offices
    - Projects are generally impactful and interesting
    - High level of trust and autonomy, especially with direct line manager
    - Dedicated and talented colleagues
    - Openness to new ideas and improvements
    - Hard work is valued and recognized

Cons

- Maintaining clear and open communication across offices is challenging
    - Project-based work tends to get very intense

Nov 15, 2016 – CEO

Thanks so much for your review. Great to hear the positives. The New York team have worked hard to create that environment.

Thanks also for highlighting the cons. Whilst we want to create a... More

"Great on the surface"

I worked at Tigerspike full-time

Pros

- Majority of colleagues are a pleasure to work with
    - The company is global; there are lots of international teammates in the office and sometimes the opportunity to travel abroad for work arises
    - The health benefits are decent as long as you don't get sick often
    - 20 days paid vacation
    - Professional and personal development budgets
    - Company seeks to be a leader in the industry by hosting events and publishing articles

Cons

- Management-directed solutions to client problems tend to be formulaic; little room or patience for creativity and innovation
    - Lots of politics; management does not hesitate to throw employees under the bus if it makes them look better
    - The office can be very cliquey, and if you don't adjust to fit in it is a problem
    - Little support for lower level employees
    - Pay below market rate (better benefits sort of make up for this)
    - Management decisions are often confusing and opaque

Advice to Management

Instead of/in addition to seeking visibility as a leader in the industry, support your employees to do work that is worthy of that distinction.
    Create a culture that embraces diversity of thought.
    Invest in management development/hire more experienced managers.

Nov 21, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I really appreciate your honesty. As a fast growing company we have a young team that has grown with the company. Line management and the support network that... More