Tillys Reviews in Irvine, CA | Glassdoor

2.7
Tillys Chief Executive Officer, President and Director Edmond Thomas
Edmond Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Dress code is relatively flexible and allows for some creativity (in 33 reviews)

• I think it's a great place to have your first job (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • You start at minimum wage and don't get raises quickly (in 36 reviews)

• It is hard to get the talent you need all the time due to the low pay rates (in 26 reviews)

"Fun, busy, and wonderful learning experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Tillys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Tilly's at the Irvine spectrum so there was always customers and a lot of them. I was always busy cleaning up the store or helping customers, so the time flies by. There are a lot of employees and managers so every shift you're working with different people which makes the experience fun! Tilly's was always encouraging to their employees and always kept the experience about working hard while having fun. They also have a competition for best sales, ranking their employees based on net sales, number of units sold, etc. which keeps it competitive and gives you a goal to reach.

Cons

There aren't much cons, other than they switched store managers when I left and I've heard the new store manager is not very nice. Also I have been trying to get a job this summer and they are being very flaky and taking forever. Also for the competition there is not a huge reward for being on top. You can just get like little awards or employee of the month. Basically you have to have your own personal drive for being on top. The other thing that annoyed me is the employees get a 20% discount but if the item is already on sale or under a promotion you either get the 20% or the sale of that item. You should be able to get both. Why should the employees not get the promotion. It gives us a way to sell to customers as well.

Advice to Management

Give better rewards for being better employees. Also let employees sign up for the reward program and use the rewards and promotions. The employees should be able to get the 20% on top of any sales or promotions going on.

2. "Not Worth the Energy"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Tillys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids (associates) and the customers, especially the younger ones, are the ONLY pro. It can be a fun job, if the store manager is willing to make it so. Upper management will NEVER care about you. I am seen poor relationships between DMs and MGs; not only the one I worked under. So, if and when you work for Tilly's, bond with your associates. It can make a HUGE difference.

Cons

Everything else. They have no PTO, SICK TIME benefits and HR will do ANYTHING they can to not pay you out. LP doesn't have a clue what they are doing and aren't willing to try different techniques to prevent theft because corporate won't clear it. Upper management is grossly overpaid for doing nothing but talk on the phone with one another. They also micro manage i.e. control the employee work schedule and organize the quarterly meetings.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to care and just do it!

3. "Machine Operator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Tillys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

love to operate band transportation

Cons

time schedule, parking lot, time break, lack of coordination

4. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Tillys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with young cool people. Chill environment and pretty simple. Great discounts. Easy to become more social and open with customers and others employees

Cons

Hours are low when we are in low season. The wage is minimum and difficult to increase. Sometimes you work by yourself and a manager so it's not fun

Advice to Management

Have associates work together and connect more with them

5. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Tillys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place for a temporary job.

Cons

Worked overtime a lot, without extra pay. Poor management. Our managers would switch out more than the employees. The corporate building was right next to our location, so there were a lot of surprise visits from corporate. The job requires you to wear a radio and earpiece and you would have to explain every action you did every minute. The team was not cooperative, and everyone was stressed 24/7. The only benefit is the employee discount, which was the same as the customers discount.

"Customer Service Representative"

I worked at Tillys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I felt like I was trained very well and had a good support system within the customer service team that worked around me. I learned great multitasking skills and efficiency methods from this job

Cons

The customers can be very intense sometimes and you really have to have a thick skin sometimes to get through your shift.

7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Tillys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Had a terrific boss who let me do my job and things got done.

Cons

Upper management change in the warehouse led to reduced employee morale.

Advice to Management

Build from the ground up, not the other way around.

8. "IT Help Desk Specialist"

Former Employee - IT Help Desk in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - IT Help Desk in Irvine, CA

I worked at Tillys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome pros was a few freebies and once a year sale, they throw a party for the 20 something kid store managers maybe as way of apologizing for the awful
    pay and pressure. They have a break room and relaxed dress code. Always stuff to do work wise.

Cons

Oh me, oh my when asking for time off even if they say yes, tell yourself no. Also, team member walking away from me when you are working a phone call together might be hazardous to your employment.

Advice to Management

Better training and resources for issues that are known would make newer employees rely less other team members for help on occasional issues that newer employee might face when on call with a customer

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Tillys part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the hours over summer and winter. It was a great experience as a first time job and managers were friendly and worked well with schedule. Reviews every 6 months for possible raise.

Cons

After busy days closing would take so long.

10. "Unorganized training and low pay."

I worked at Tillys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you order something online, you can pick up the item(s) at the end of your shift. Great place if it's your first job or just looking to make some money.

Cons

The job culture seemed divided, although they say everyone has great teamwork. You cannot park by the entrance; you have to park on the opposite side. The training seemed thrown together-you could probably train yourself by reading the website information. Low pay.