Tillys "minimum wage" Reviews | Glassdoor

Tillys Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Aug 21, 2019

3.2
Tillys Chief Executive Officer, President and Director Edmond Thomas
Edmond Thomas
Pros
Cons
  • "Minimum wage starting salary with few benefits for part time employees(in 49 reviews)

• "Low pay for how much they expect you to do(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews

"Absolutely Loved my Time Here"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Wesley Chapel, FL

I worked at Tillys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing Co-Workers Good hours if you work hard for them Engaging store energy Great music played never any drama Got to wear whatever I wanted

Cons

Minimum wage, but I was just seasonal so I didn't mind never really had a shift long enough to meet break-time, but they were long enough to feel like I needed one sometimes when it rained the ceiling leaked so we had to put buckets down Discount should be available for sale items

Tillys2019-06-06
  2. "Great First Job"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Tillys part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are professional and responsible then this is a great first job. Ability to increase sales and sales goals. management is usually fun and can be friendly as long as you are a good employee. Pay is standard and coworkers are fun

Cons

Pay is about minimum wage Hours can be cut short during slow periods

Tillys2019-08-22
  3. "Tilly’s company review"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Tillys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts, lay back dress code, easy/entry level

Cons

Hours depend on how busy the store is, minimum wage

Advice to Management

Stop over hiring people when the store is not busy/ doesn't need it. Take care of the people you have and give them the hours instead of splitting it all up into tiny shifts.

Tillys2019-08-13
  4. "Teenage starter job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Tillys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good starter job, if your shy it helps to step out of the box

Cons

Management was young and immature Minimum wage

Tillys2019-07-17
  5. "Fun first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Tillys part-time for more than a year

Pros

Develop great customer service and social skills

Cons

Minimum wage Hours can get cut Getting called in

Tillys2019-04-23

"Emotional rollercoaster"

I worked at Tillys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to learn a lot especially starting off as a first job and you can usually meet nice people.

Cons

Management pay has been the same for years even though minimum wage continues to rise, shady things go on in upper management/higher ups and how issues are "handled," company does not care about their associates, you're scared into doing your job by managers threatening your job, they get annoyed by the fact that people become friends through work and try to tell other assistant managers that they can't be nice to... associates because the associates won't respect you, etc.

Advice to Management

You need us more than we need you.

Tillys2019-05-13

"Sales Associate for 2 years"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Tillys part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good job for high school/early college-aged students - Managers are helpful and "cool" (if your store has a good, cohesive group) - Coworkers get along pretty well (I met two of my best friends working there, and I was really close with everyone else) - Good job for naturally social people (like all retail jobs) - Advancement: If you are very good at sales and you work for the company for a good amount of... time, you can be promoted to Lead Sales and even Assistant Manager.

Cons

- Random/irregular hours make scheduling your own life very hard - Shift extensions: These were 2 extra hours that would be on our schedules that were usable at the managers' discretion. You wouldn't know if you'd be extended until halfway through that shift, and you had to stay if they did. These were completely inconvenient because you'd never know how long you'd be working, and making plans for after work was so... hard. - Immature Drama: In the first 6 months I worked here, the managers were ALWAYS fighting and would talk bad about each other to the employees, therefore bringing them into the dumb drama. The assistant managers are usually 18-24 years old, and sometimes they don't have the most maturity. -Biggest Con: This company DOES NOT appreciate their employees or managers (especially ASMs). In the 2 years I worked for Tilly's I NEVER received a raise, even though you usually would receive one after every (positive) 6-month review. The "reason" for this was that the minimum wage had gone up within my first 6 months of working there and the company thought that was "good enough" for us. Employees who had been there longer and had received raises already ended up losing those raises and were making the same as I was, even though they'd been there 2 or 3 times longer than me. No one ever received raises again for as long as I worked there, no matter how good of an employee they were. Also, the 20% discount for employees is terrible (even though it's apparently at 30% now, wow!) If it wasn't for the fact that I was really close with my coworkers & that the store was convenient for me location-wise, I would've left a long time ago to find a place that paid better and treated employees better.

Advice to Management

District managers should treat their assistant managers WAY better. I was close with my ASMs, and they would complain about how the DMs belittled them and only cared about the Store Managers. Tilly's, treat your employees better.

Tillys2019-01-02

"Do not work here..."

I have been working at Tillys part-time

Pros

good atmosphere if you keep to yourself

Cons

- You will not get hours unless favored - It's not worth getting paid minimum wage

Tillys2018-11-24

"Definitely not the best company, probably not the worst"

Co-Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Tillys for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyable atmosphere that the management team created. Decent amount of leeway on who gets hired in the store. Some leeway about merchandising layout of the store.

Cons

Customer service/corporate overrode management decisions on handling in-store issues which caused image issues within the store. Had to scratch and claw for a decent wage. Management pay hasn't been adjusted even though CA minimum wage has gone up $4/hr over the last 2 years. Anyone above an SM role will seemingly never listen to anything you have to say, even if the opinions/suggestions are valid. Good luck getting... time off; lean management hiring = no PTO longer than a few days unless you convince someone from another store to help. Also, enjoy coupons that either don't work or are resent to customers meaning you have to do damage control with clientele. Be prepared for LP to blame every shrink issue on you even though CA state law says you can't lay hands on shoplifters. Finally, enjoy a ridiculously high level of employee churn.

Advice to Management

TRUST YOUR FRONTLINE EMPLOYEES! We see everything in terms of day-to-day, so trust our judgment. That goes for buyers and DMs upward through the food chain. Also, cut the ridiculous pizza parties/promotional VR events; no one ever shows up to the store because of it. They usually just say, "oh, that's going on and I can get 20% off? Cool."

Tillys2018-10-24

"The worst"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Tillys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, sometimes a fun place to work

Cons

Very little discount on expensive clothing, and it could not be combined with sales. The floor was very sales driven, but no commission was made. We also got paid minimum wage. Standards were very high for such low pay. No way to move up in company. I was lead on with a promotion for 6 months, and am still being lead on. Did not care about employees lives or goals outside of work.

Tillys2018-09-12