Tilt.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tilt.com CEO and Co-Founder James Beshara
James Beshara

Pros
  • Company lunch and dinner, awesome office, and great co-workers (in 6 reviews)

• The company also offers some great perks: catered lunches/dinners, snack wall, anniversary bonuses, generous hardware budget and more (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • At my current startup, people leave at 5-6, so there are trade-offs, but work-life balance is really important to win in the longterm (in 4 reviews)

• The company is growing quickly, and we sometimes experience growing pains (in 3 reviews)

1. "Amazing People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The snack wall, perks in general, great team-mates and personal development opportunities.
    Company outings were always great along with the Sonos in the bathroom.
    Endless bubble waters.

Cons

The treadmill desk has a very loud squeak which can become very distracting.
    Occasionally we wouldn't have any ping pong balls, making afternoons go by a little slow.

2. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

They're a friendly bunch of people with flexible hours and a strong community of employees. Good atmosphere, nice office space

Cons

Depends what you're looking for, but the culture is very bro-y, however that's probably partially due to the customers who they target-fraternity and sorority college kids.

Advice to Management

Expand beyond the bro college scene, especially if you want to enhance culture and build a platform that employees and others actually care about.

3. "Sales tilt"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Pros

Good company. Growth. good pay

Cons

the company has nothing in cons

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great Perks, Fun Company, Cool Office

Cons

Bad Communication, Always behind Venmo

Advice to Management

Communicate Better

6. "Brand Ambassador"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Connected to a network of the best individuals you will meet in your life.
    - Flexible Hours
    - Work with a great Team

Cons

- Commission Based Pay. They should find a way to compensate hourly.

Advice to Management

- Start paying Hourly

"Far Superior to all other Start-up Experiences"

Current Employee - Market Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Market Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tilt is a highly mission-driven company with a long-term focus. I've worked for a handful of start-ups in SF and my experience at Tilt has been far superior from Senior management, learning and growth opportunities, work-life balance, and the most amazing co-workers.

Cons

I'm faced with some complex challenges that can be daunting sometimes but ultimately, these challenges are what keeps the job interesting and exciting.

"Great experience so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I've only worked at Tilt for a few months, but it feels like I've been there for years. From the day you start, you are very warmly welcomed and treated like family by a crew of smart, talented, fun, and kind people.
    -Great and interesting long-term mission (and people who want to achieve it).
    -The company fosters growth for its employees in that you are strongly encouraged to act on whatever ideas you have, without much bureaucracy or red tape.
    -Hard work definitely pays off in terms of further responsibility and recognition.
    -Strong culture of feedback / transparency / overcommunication.
    -Normal startup perks plus some that go above and beyond (full benefits, catered food/snack wall, mandatory and unlimited vacation, stipends for commuting/gym/phone)

Cons

-I don't consider Tilt as much of a "face-time" oriented company as some of the other reviews suggest, but even so, it can definitely be hard to maintain the best work-life balance as there's a lot to do.
    -Very lean teams right now, which contributes to the above.
    -Trying to grow extremely fast in a very competitive market, which can be intense at times.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparent culture. Love the growing focus on internal employee development. Keep the bar high for new hires.

"Many Good Things To Say"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tilt.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Ability to work on strategic, cross-functional, and creative projects in the group payments space
    -Endless freedom (and encouragement) to experiment with new initiatives
    -Fast-paced work environment across the company
    -Ambitious, driven teams across the organization
    -Unusually open and transparent culture (ability to ask any questions to founders)
    -Extraordinarily talented employee base
    -Unlimited learning opportunities
    -Fair compensation and equity grants
    -Unlimited vacation policy (with a 15 day minimum)
    -Excellent perks and amenities (breakfast, lunch, and dinner served daily; transportation, gym, and cell phone stipend; team happy hours and events; a plane ticket to anywhere in the world at one-year anniversary)

Cons

-Mentorship and training programs could be improved (that said, the company is actively trying to improve in this area)

Advice to Management

Continue to retain a culture based on openness, experimentation, and hard work - these are the things that make Tilt special. Make sure employees truly understand their ability to learn and effect change, and communicate that notion more clearly with prospective employees.

"One of the fastest and richest learning experiences of my career."

Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Tilt means constantly jumping into the deep end, rising afloat, and then moving onto the next pool before you get too comfortable. This translates to an incredible level of personal development and learning along the way. There are no ceilings to what high-achieving teams and individuals can accomplish at Tilt, and there is very little process that would ever stand in the way. We're constantly experimenting, taking bold bets, learning from both successes and failures, and innovating "across the stack."

While this can sound intense, it's also paired with one of the most friendly, fun-loving, and familial group of colleagues I can imagine. We take our work seriously, but we also value our relationships above all else. This makes for an environment where I feel that my peers and fellow tilters are more family than colleagues. We can thus cut through any bs and be incredibly direct with one another, knowing this rests on a foundation of immense respect.

Cons

Our mindset of experimentation applies not only to growth experiments, but to everything we do. This can translate to feelings of chaos or disorder at times. This is not atypical to high-growth, early-stage startups that *need* to move fast, but still, is not for everyone. We've made mistakes as a company, but we always learn from them and bounce back much stronger -- which is a desired outcome of building a culture of experimentation and learning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture of feedback & professional development. Stay focused on the signal, and don't get distracted by the noise. A combination of focus, speed, growth-obsession, and learning/development will continue raising the bar for everyone at Tilt and help us build one of the best teams out there.

"Amazing group of people aligned on a great mission"

Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time

Pros

Just had my two year anniversary. Tilt is the first place I've ever worked where I truly and honestly love my job. People constantly encourage each other to do their best work in every moment and every day. Failure is ok - a form of learning, no drama is allowed, new ideas are encouraged and differences of opinions are welcomed. Everyone is dedicated, committed, humble and are truly some of the kindest people I have ever met.

Cons

Growth in this company is incredibly fast, scaling at this pace can sometimes be a challenge. If you prefer structure and process, Tilt may not be the place for you. It's a startup and "change" is synonymous with progress. If you like exploring unchartered territory, then you'll love working at Tilt.