KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 71 of over 91 reviews

4.2
Tilt.com CEO and Co-Founder James Beshara
James Beshara
Pros
  • "Great involved active team at Tilt(in 26 reviews)

• "Company lunch and dinner, awesome office, and great co-workers(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not the best support to bring Tilt to the school I was at(in 13 reviews)

• "At my current startup, people leave at 5-6, so there are trade-offs, but work-life balance is really important to win in the longterm(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Brand Ambassador

Dec 9, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company Culture, Face pace & fun culture, good incentives

Cons

None. Loved working for such a fun startup!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

A great place for effective communications

May 25, 2021 - Senior Brand Strategist
      Business Outlook

Pros

People, Energy, Flexibility, In depth client work, Understanding

Cons

Process understanding and efficient use of talent

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

One of the fastest and richest learning experiences of my career.

Mar 10, 2016 - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Tilt means constantly jumping into the deep end, rising afloat, and then moving onto the next pool before you get too comfortable. This translates to an incredible level of personal development and learning along the way. There are no ceilings to what high-achieving teams and individuals can accomplish at Tilt, and there is very little process that would ever stand in the way. We're constantly experimenting, taking bold bets, learning from both successes and failures, and innovating "across the stack." While this can sound intense, it's also paired with one of the most friendly, fun-loving, and familial group of colleagues I can imagine. We take our work seriously, but we also value our relationships above all else. This makes for an environment where I feel that my peers and fellow tilters are more family than colleagues. We can thus cut through any bs and be incredibly direct with one another, knowing this rests on a foundation of immense respect.

Cons

Our mindset of experimentation applies not only to growth experiments, but to everything we do. This can translate to feelings of chaos or disorder at times. This is not atypical to high-growth, early-stage startups that *need* to move fast, but still, is not for everyone. We've made mistakes as a company, but we always learn from them and bounce back much stronger -- which is a desired outcome of building a culture of experimentation and learning.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Everything I Could Have Ever Asked For

Jun 8, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Have you ever thought where do I go from here? I’m the type of person who always wants to know what’s next. For far to long, I felt that I didn’t know what’s next, nor did I know what I wanted. As an entrepreneur, I felt the internal desire to start another company. Alternatively, part of me was pulled towards pursuing my legal career or starting an MBA program. Serendipitously, an opportunity to do something that I had never done before (or thought I would do) presented itself at Tilt. I decided to make the leap and go for it. Why? Because everything about Tilt seemed right: the leadership, the product, and, most importantly, the people. After joining Tilt, everything that I suspected was confirmed. I love every minute of working with the team and working towards a larger mission that I believe in. Up to this point in my life, the most enjoyable job that I’ve had was working at a Honeybaked Ham store in college; I enjoyed that job so much because of the people (yes, I realize how weird and sad of a statement this is). For the first time in my life, I can say that I truly love what I do.

Cons

I don't feel this way, but some cons that others might feel are these: (i) you will have to work really hard and put in grinding hours to be successful (changing the world ain't easy); (ii) you'll have to be unbelievably organized; and (iii) you have to get s*it done. It's not for everyone.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fast-paced learning environment, freedom to innovate, and a super-smart, nice team

Oct 7, 2014 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best thing about Tilt is the staff. Senior management strictly enforces a "No A-Holes" rule and it shows: more than any place I've worked, I look forward to interacting with coworkers on a daily basis. Everyone's smart, cares about their work, generally takes criticism well, and is overall fun to work with. They feel like a real "team". As an engineer, I have freedom to work across departments and to find projects that interest me. On a weekly basis I'll work with the growth team, marketing, sysops, other engineers, customer support - pretty much every department. I've been mentored by more experienced developers, and after the "new-guy-on-the-block" growing pains/learning curve I feel like my opinions and effort are respected, considered, and acted upon. Work/life balance is pretty well-respected, with ample opportunity to work remotely and to take time off when needed. And of course, the office is really sweet - it's exactly what you expect from a modern tech company office. Catered lunches/dinners, ample snacks, great equipment, etc.

Cons

Compensation is good but not top-of-the-industry. If you have friends who work at Netflix, you may occasionally feel pangs of jealousy, but you'll also have free time and won't be going bald from stress. The company structure is flat and getting flatter, and overall Tilt is pretty small, so advancing title-wise seems unlikely. (Although it does happen.)

4 people found this review helpful

Tilt.com Response

CEO

This made my week! Thank you for taking the time to write this out. All good points, and I hope we're heading in the right direction on each.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

An amazing place to push the envelope of crowdfunding, with an incredibly passionate, dedicated, and talented team.

Feb 18, 2014 - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone you work with here is so incredibly humble, talented, hardworking and passionate. This is true from developers to non-technical members -- and it's incredibly rare to find this humble and inspiring of a culture! The leaders have a huge vision, and every day you can see the lives we're touching and the ways we're breaking down the boundaries of crowdfunding for everyone. From helping the world raise $129,000 in 3 days to send the Jamaican Bobsled Team to Sochi, to helping college students do more together in terms of late-night tailgates, parties and outings, it's a truly priceless experience. Even in the most stressful times it doesn't really feel like work -- there's such a great support system, synergy between team members, and passion for what we do. In terms of benefits, we get lots of flexibility: free vacation hours, no set schedule, hackations (an innovation idea where you can go anywhere in the world to "hack" on a highly-focused project, and the company will pay for lodging during your stay), the best snacks (!), two round-trip tickets to anywhere in the world when you reach your 1-year anniversary, and more.

Cons

- We get catered lunch and dinner. ..This is mostly a pro but it can make it kind of hard to keep a diet. (http://instagram.com/crowdtilt) - Like all startups, it can be stressful. Tight deadlines, juggling lots of projects, and extremely high expectations for the product that we deliver to our users. But the silver lining is the comraderie, satisfaction of being part of a great product, and how much closer you get to your colleagues through this.

7. 5.0

It's all about the team

Aug 29, 2014 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are fun and funny, crazy and dedicated and intelligent. The teams are small, so everyone has the opportunity and the obligation to make an outsized product impact. Lots of agency and decision-making power throughout the team. All of the standard SF startup perks: food, "unlimited" vacation, happy hours and activities, etc. The hiring standards are really, really high, but not in the traditional respect. Lots of college dropouts, or people who went to non-Ivys, but everyone is extremely driven, community-focused, and great at their job; those that don't get left behind quickly (yes, that's a pro). Company is growing very quickly and promoting from within (current engineering team leads were all either first members of their team or promoted from within). Very strong engineering org in general. Despite healthy funding, founders are still 2 of 3 board members. Lots of transparency re: growth, runway, targets, 12-month and beyond roadmap.

Cons

Lofty goals in a competitive vertical. That means working "startup" hours on a pretty regular basis. To me that's part of the deal and part of the reason why I like working here: to push myself harder than I would have in a more well-established company, but I know that's a con to a lot of people. When you need a break or are feeling worn down, you'll need to stand up and make yourself heard. It's a well-funded growth-stage startup, and stereotypes tend to be stereotypes for a reason.

7 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0

Company Review

Jun 17, 2019 - Executive Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible Schedule -Good benefits -Learn something new everyday

Cons

-A lot of people with self-interest -Lack of organization

9. 5.0

Experienced Developer Still Learning at Rapid Pace

Sep 26, 2014 - Front-End Developer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I came in with lots of industry experience yet I am still walking home every day amazed that I am still learning so much. This is a tremendously smart crew and working here is both humbling and invigorating. The young component of the company is something every experienced developer should seek out. I love the size and dynamic we have that we're sure to grow even faster in the year to come. Leadership is pushing us in all the best directions, both for the individual's personal and intellectual growth as well as the business' long-term success. Leadership is outstanding and encourages us to not be afraid of failure.

Cons

We work hard and push boundaries. You have to be willing to live at the edge of your comfort zone sometimes. For me, that means picking up new skills and sharpening existing ones. We do this by moving fast and not being 100% ready for the excitement but I think this adds to the fun of being around an amazing team.

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

I love what we do

Aug 14, 2015 - Mobile Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The title says it all; loving what I do is the #1 reason I work at Tilt. Life's too short to work on boring products/projects and Tilt is anything but boring. This is the most enthusiastic, energizing team I've ever worked with and I look forward to coming into work every day to work on a product I both believe in and personally use. Tilt also empowers is employees to make large scale, meaningful contributions. If you want to work somewhere where you can actually see the effects of your hard work pay off, this is the place. On a side note, I am surprised to see negative comments about poor work/personal life balance @ Tilt, particularly because of how much Tilt does to make sure it's employees are happy. One example is Tilt's unlimited vacation policy. On the surface that might sound like a tactic to minimize vacation time taken but Tilt took the extra step of instituting a 3 week MINIMUM.

Cons

Like many have said before, this is a fast paced startup environment and if constant experimentation and change isn't your thing then you probably won't thrive here.

5 people found this review helpful