Tim Hortons Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Hortons CEO Daniel Schwartz
Daniel Schwartz

Pros
  • Good management flexible hours benefits (in 116 reviews)

• Working in a fast paced environment with a lot of different interesting people (in 110 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage and bad co-workers (in 73 reviews)

• Fast paced, must think and act on your feet at all times (in 51 reviews)

1. "If applying at APG Tim Horton's, watch out"

Former Employee - Coffee Specialist in Aberdeen, MD
    Former Employee - Coffee Specialist in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at Tim Hortons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The hours. The store closed at 5 and you were done by 6 at the latest.

Cons

Owner and management sets the tone for store if bad manager and owner lets him do what he wants the store is a hostile work place.

Advice to Management

Don't cuss your employees. Don't put your hands on them. Be a grown up and don't play favorites. Fly off the handle etc...

2. "Second Shift Supervisor"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Vandalia, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Vandalia, OH

I worked at Tim Hortons (More than a year)

Pros

As a supervisor, you get free food.

Cons

The manager was horrible. No matter how great the store looked, he would find something to complain about. He once yelled at me because my black restaurant shoes had some details on them that weren't black. He treats all employees like absolute dirt. You barely make more as a supervisor than those you are supervising, the only real difference (other than free food) is that the manager doesn't waste his time yelling at anyone except the supervisors.

Prepare to deal with rude and condescending customers.

Advice to Management

Get a job where you don't have to interact with people, because you lack basic human empathy and understanding.

3. "Kind of like reading a book. I hate books"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pickerington, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pickerington, OH

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's tons of over time if you can actually handle the horrible environment.

Cons

The pay is horrible. The place is run by a couple orangutans

5. "Worst place ever"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What pros, there where none.

Cons

New employer paperwork not given till 3 days after I started. No registers or time clock to punch in and out on. No Training, thet expected you to know everything. Rude employees, Lazy Managers

Advice to Management

You wonder why you cant keep help. Look above and you will see why. I train employees at my other job, so I know how to train, not tell them to just do it. By law, my paperwork should have been in before I started, and a time card or register reciept should show your hours. Not writing them in a book. No wonder I did not return. This was the most horrible experience I ever had with a job. If trained right, you would have had one amazing employee.

6. "Nope"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time

Pros

Its not the hardest job in the world.... Your serving food...
    Nice people to work with for the most part.

Cons

Your serving food. Enough said.

Advice to Management

Organization? I shouldn't be told to come in by one manager and then called before my shift demanding to know where I am... I was told to come in at 7. But then another manager says I was to come in at 6... Like no thanks. Big sign that is not where I want to work....

I see many career opportunities because lack of managerial skills. But that's only if u want to stay long enough to get promoted.

7. "Team member"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Sterling Heights, MI

Pros

You get to see and meet a lot of people. The fast pace work is nice if you like to move ! It's the best way to get your exercise lol

Cons

There was a very low pay at Tim Hortons even though I worked for two years there. After they promoted me for a supervisor they only paid me 50 cents more !

Advice to Management

Your employees are very important to the business and in order for them to stay working for you is if you honor them sometimes and value them

8. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Warren, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Warren, PA

Pros

ITS THE HIGHER END OF FAST FOOD. The job itself is enjoyable.

Cons

Verbal and mental abuse on a daily basis. Retaliation threats. Intimidation. Its very similar to the military ...don't ask don't tell, otherwise consequences.

Advice to Management

Replace them with able bodied. Human beings who don't feel as though they are Hitler running a concentration camp, or Jesus Christ himself walking on water.

9. "Manager trainer"

Former Employee - Trainer in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Trainer in Erie, PA

Pros

The people and coworkers are great.

Cons

The company dos not care but about making money. Everyone is replacible in there eyes.

Advice to Management

Wake up. You get what you pay for. Still as true as the first time it was said.

10. "Fast food"

Former Employee - Drive Through in Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Drive Through in Howell, MI

I worked at Tim Hortons (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved seeing my regulars! They were the only reason why I got up at four in the morning.

Cons

I was yelled at in front of customers! The supervisor called me special. I never got training in other areas, and they were mad because I didn't know how to do it right?! Ummmmm that's on you for not training me!

Advice to Management

Quit!!! Don't get mad because you guys were too darn lazy to train! Stop using new people as a scapegoat!

11. "Awful"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time

Pros

There are very few if any pros. Free coffee during shift and store manager is nice.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. I am a supervisor and I can tell you hard workers will never receive recognition. Lazy workers are rewarded and never disciplined if they are the friends of the manager or other supervisors. Manager is nice, but picks favorites and has no back bone. Other supervisors who run the morning shifts act like they have more power than the actual manager.
    As a young college student most coworkers, even the teenagers, do not take me seriously. Workers blatantly disregard anything you ask them to do and sit in chairs for a majority of their shift. Many workers refuse to clean and ignore customers at the counter and nothing is done by management to fix this behavior.
    Labor rules are disregarded, and I am considered part time even though I work over 40 hours during breaks (half of the year) and 36 while I go to school. Management does not care about my schooling and tries to force me to work 6 days a week. They also promise higher raises as an incentive to apply for a management position, but they never give them. I once went over a year with no raise.
    No one is properly trained because corporate does not allow the manager to schedule an extra person for training. There is a lot of confusion on how to complete tasks in a way that are up to corporate's standards. This is because new employees no longer even watch their own training videos
    All around this is a terrible job to have. One coworker regularly harasses and swears at me and is now being promoted. This makes me not want to come to work, but I am still regularly scheduled with this worker. This is how Tim Hortons treats their employees.

Advice to Management

Regional managers should learn to actually work in the stores that they visit because they have no idea what it's really like. Management should take reprimanding their workers more seriously. Managers should not allow certain employees to get away with inappropriate behaviors simply because they have personal relationships with them.
    Hard workers should not be punished by being forced to work ridiculous amounts of hours.

Showing 166 of 1,520 reviews