Tim Hortons Reviews | Glassdoor

Tim Hortons CEO Daniel Schwartz
Daniel Schwartz

1,804 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible Hours Great People Fun Environment (in 143 reviews)

• Fast paced good teamwork good way to improve your your language skill if you are a newcomer (in 133 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is minimum wage which is no good (in 81 reviews)

• sometimes hard to deal with rude customers (in 61 reviews)

"Horrible!!"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Hamburg, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Hamburg, NY

Pros

Free coffee is the only good thing

Cons

uneducated managers and owners
    poor pay
    not benefits

Advice to Management

look at what store owners actually do, just do surprise visit instead of letting the whole world know your coming.

2. "Awful place to work"

Current Employee - Tom Hortons - Store Front/Baker in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Tom Hortons - Store Front/Baker in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and fun people to work with if your lucky.

Cons

Terrible pay, no benefits except half off of food purchases but honestly why would you want anything from there. Customers are totally awful to work with and management does little to nothing to help you.

Advice to Management

Don't be so stingy on payrates and become an actual corporation. Having franchised stores means that employees are at the mercy of their owners good people or not.

3. "Sad Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were very friendly and nice

Cons

Management was horrible. They didn't care about part-time employees.

Advice to Management

Be nice.

"The American version is not so sweet."

Former Employee - Store Front/Cashier in Lambertville, MI
    Former Employee - Store Front/Cashier in Lambertville, MI

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible part-time hours in respect to personal life

Cons

Low wage
    Poor management
    Poor work environment

Advice to Management

When promoting employees to management positions please understand the qualities that it takes to manage a group of employees. The only benefits I received from this job was that I know how NOT to manage and treat employees. As far as my advice to the corporate headquarters would be I would highly recommend that they take a closer look at the individuals who own franchises and represent the Tim Hortons brand. Not only were my low, middle, and higher managers simply terrible but I've met numerous franchise owners who were just as bad if not worse. Please understand that these franchise owners represent you as a company and please take steps in correcting the actions of these poor business owners.

5. "" Working for Tim Hortons was not ny favorite place to work for.""

Former Employee - Store Front Cashier in Town of Tonawanda, NY
    Former Employee - Store Front Cashier in Town of Tonawanda, NY

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of working for tim hortons is that it taught me to deal with stressful situations fast and to be able to multi task quickly. Other than that though it was bad.

Cons

The cons of working for tim hortons was the managment stunck they would always get the scheduele wrong, when you first get hired they just throw you on and dont even teach you, the enviorment was so stressful because the employers would get upset with eachother because everything else was so stressful, and they only give you two holidays you can take off.

Advice to Management

Everything needs to be a lot more organized!!!

"Hopefully the chains are better! Working for a franchise is awful."

Current Employee - Third Shift Baker in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Third Shift Baker in Flint, MI

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Income and ability to work third shift.

Cons

Employees are talked down to daily, in front of other employees and customers. Management is late every single day. Supervisors need to learn the true meaning of lead by example. Employers are not trained in any way shape or form and are then scrutinized when they aren't properly performing their job.

Advice to Management

Make training new employees a priority. Learn how to praise employees for things they do well and learn how to give constructive criticism instead of cutting employees down in front of others.

7. "Very impersonal"

Former Employee - Store Front/Baker in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Store Front/Baker in Erie, PA

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours and competitive pay make it an alright place to work. Co-workers are also pretty awesome most of the time.

Cons

The franchise owner for Erie (Jen) is very impersonal. I worked third shift and only met Jen 3 times over the course of one year. When my employment ended, I got a text message saying 'we will no longer we'd your services. Please return your uniforms to the store.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees In person, not through texts or nasty notes.

"I wish I could give less than one star..."

Former Employee - Crew Member in Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Rochester Hills, MI

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

most of the customers were very sweet and a pleasure to work with, also there was a handful of funny, smart, and kind employees that worked here too.

Cons

The owners and management is ridiculous! They gossip, they yell, they're rude, they treat their employees like dirt. They except perfection out of you, and if you mess up they either fire you, dump your hours, or yell at you; and all this you're dealing with for a measly minimum wage (by the way, theres no way you're getting a raise). I clearly remember how I once puked at work, and had to sit there till the owner showed up for 40 minutes (mind you while I was still puking), and only then did they let me go home, and to add to that they cut my hours to only 8hrs a week, because the manager told the owner that i was "faking puking" ... I was afraid to leave work when I found out that I had a case of the flu, so i had to work through it, I can't even imagine how many people i got sick there, and they saw me coughing and unwell, and still said nothing about it: I think its really unprofessional when your customers have to be subjected to your employees illness.
    Oh, and don't except to get any time off, I had Christmas plans with my family and I asked for a few days off 3.5 weeks ahead of time and the owner flat out told me "no!" ... even though the policy is that if you give 2 weeks notice its acceptable, and then I got punished even more and she even cut my hours down to nothing.
    And to add to all this working there during the actual shift was hell! They were so disorganized I had to run back and fourth several times to grab donuts because the showcase was often empty and some of the donuts weren't even placed in it to begin with; all this and while taking other orders and making sure that the cars got through the drive through in under 30 seconds, which is totally unrealistic especially if people get for example a mocha latte and a breakfast panini (all time consuming things to make) and then I got yelled at for voiding things on the POS, because while i was running around sometimes I wouldn't be as careful (on a bad day maybe 10/400 orders, thats 2.5% ON A BAD DAY! )
    Overall the job would have been just fine had it been slightly more organized and owned by somebody else, and that did't seem to be happening, so after 6 months I quit.

Advice to Management

Act like professional business owners and adults (gossiping, yelling, snide remarks, rudeness, and disorganization is not part of that)

Tim Hortons Response

Sep 23, 2014 – Director

Thanks for your feedback. We don't hire team members to fire. We want professional, reliable and top performing team members. We work hard to retain hard working individuals. We don't have any room... More

"Disapointing"

Former Employee - Overnight Front in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Front in Rochester, NY

I worked at Tim Hortons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was very easy to get the job. The interview was more just being told about the position.

Cons

Only 2 people on for overnights, no training, no support. I worked the front, was hustling all 8 hours to get the cleaning done and taking customers while the other employee was doing the baking. The other employees were rude to me and the customers, the store was FILTHY, there was no support at all. Even the customers warned me that no one who cared ever lasted long. It was truth, I quit after 2 weeks.

Advice to Management

A little bit of caring would go a long way. I loved being on my feet hustling, and loved working overnights so close to my house, I could have been a great employee if anyone there gave the slightest care about the store.

10. "Low pay as well as being treated poorly."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule especially if in school or working as another job

Cons

Managers treat you like garbage, low pay

Showing 1,804 of 1,821 reviews