Tim Hortons Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017
1,459 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,459 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Offer flexible hours for those whom need family time as well as school classes (in 115 reviews)

• Time off when ever you want it, flexible schedule, fast paced (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to make more than minimum wage (in 70 reviews)

• Extremely fast paced during rush hour, small working area for many employees may make you feel claustrophobic (in 47 reviews)

1. "Worst place ever"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What pros, there where none.

Cons

New employer paperwork not given till 3 days after I started. No registers or time clock to punch in and out on. No Training, thet expected you to know everything. Rude employees, Lazy Managers

Advice to Management

You wonder why you cant keep help. Look above and you will see why. I train employees at my other job, so I know how to train, not tell them to just do it. By law, my paperwork should have been in before I started, and a time card or register reciept should show your hours. Not writing them in a book. No wonder I did not return. This was the most horrible experience I ever had with a job. If trained right, you would have had one amazing employee.

2. "better places"

Former Employee - Crew Member, Team Leader in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Crew Member, Team Leader in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Tim Hortons (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work, fast paced,

Cons

my boss was a child,
    management was not prepared

Advice to Management

Hire someone who has a backbone and a little more experience

3. "Hard work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Good product good potential. There is great opportunity to grow if they can figure out their business model.

Cons

Overworked, cuts labor, daily changing priorities.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing your core business.

5. "Good Work Experience"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Tim Hortons (More than a year)

Pros

-Allowed opportunity to receive more work hours if needed
    -Allowed you to decide shift times (day vs. night)
    -Opportunity to become staff leader or manager

Cons

-Work can sometimes be overwhelming if other staff on shift isn't working efficiently

6. "just meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

good environment as a work place

Cons

fast paced work place with less communication

7. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Zanesville, OH

I have been working at Tim Hortons (More than a year)

Pros

They work with you schedule.

Cons

Needed more training for employees.

8. "Nope"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time

Pros

Its not the hardest job in the world.... Your serving food...
    Nice people to work with for the most part.

Cons

Your serving food. Enough said.

Advice to Management

Organization? I shouldn't be told to come in by one manager and then called before my shift demanding to know where I am... I was told to come in at 7. But then another manager says I was to come in at 6... Like no thanks. Big sign that is not where I want to work....

I see many career opportunities because lack of managerial skills. But that's only if u want to stay long enough to get promoted.

"Avoid if at all possible."

Former Employee - Tim Hortons Team Member in Niagara Falls, NY
    Former Employee - Tim Hortons Team Member in Niagara Falls, NY

Pros

Good first job experience, learn how to use a cash register, learn basic customer service skills. You also learn to be patient both with customers as well as other coworkers.

I like that the company is charity centered, with their annual Camp Day event.

Cons

My experience working at Tim Horton's was far from pleasant. Hard workers hardly receive recognition for what they do, and as long as you're in good with management, you can get away with sitting in the break room sipping on sodas for half of your shift.

My hours were not flexible, seeing as they had a very high turnover rate. I had met at least five new coworkers in the two months I worked there. Not to mention, these coworkers were a total joke; one would totally shut down in the middle of the morning rush, the other simply had no idea what they were doing most of the time. Employees didn't receive adequate training before going out onto the floor. I, myself, had about five minutes with the cash register layout before being greeted with several customers. A very stressful experience, if you are not prepared.

Management could be very unreasonable with how they treated their employees. Sometimes they would scold them for things that were out of employee's control, like running out of muffins in the display case for example (the baker's job is to keep the display case as full as possible during rush hour.)

Supervisors were also very controlling at times; sometimes they thought of themselves as the actual management and would act as such.

Many, MANY labor laws were broken. One of my coworkers told me a story about how he worked a consecutive twenty-four hours. He had an eight hour shift during the day, they had an overnight worker call in sick, so he stayed for that, and then he worked the next day for another eight hour shift. Although it was voluntary, the management should never have let him stay for that long.

Advice to Management

-Don't hire just anyone that meets the most basic of requirements for the job; make sure you find someone with a good work ethic and at least a basic understanding of customer service.
    -Discipline people that actually do something wrong; it set's a bad example for new employees when they see their coworkers getting away with slacking off.
    -Try to be more understanding of employees. If you must talk to them about something they did, wait until they aren't busy; it's not wise to yell at your employees in front of a room of customers. It not only makes you look bad, but it also makes the employee look bad, and plants the seed in the customer's mind that you are a 'tyrannical manager' that constantly treats their employees like crap (even if you don't).
    -Be mindful of who you promote to supervisor positions.
    -Be mindful of how much you train new people before sending them out onto the line. I cannot tell you how many times our lines got backed up because a brand new cashier was not trained enough to handle a breakfast rush.
    -Also, as a side note, the training videos are honestly not very helpful, and it is rare to find someone that actually watches all of them instead of playing them in the background while they dawdle on their phones (I watched all of them, and the information in those videos hardly helped me.)
    -Recognize those employees that go the extra mile to keep the business running smoothly, maybe with a small raise or an 'Employee of the Month' scheme. This helps keep them motivated to continue to work hard.
    -Even if it is convenient for you, with calling in people and such, don't have someone stay for longer than what is legally allowed. You could get in trouble if that employee decided to call the labor board. Unlikely, but it could happen.

10. "Team member"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Sterling Heights, MI

Pros

You get to see and meet a lot of people. The fast pace work is nice if you like to move ! It's the best way to get your exercise lol

Cons

There was a very low pay at Tim Hortons even though I worked for two years there. After they promoted me for a supervisor they only paid me 50 cents more !

Advice to Management

Your employees are very important to the business and in order for them to stay working for you is if you honor them sometimes and value them

11. "Crew member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Tim Hortons (Less than a year)

Pros

The Customers, the hours, the job I love dealing with people. I worked there for 10 months

Cons

Nothing I like them job, I just gave it up to complete high school ..

Showing 1,459 of 1,472 reviews