Timberland Reviews | Glassdoor

Timberland Reviews

Updated May 2, 2017

1.0
Timberland Vice President, VF Corporation and Group President, Outdoor & Action Sports Americas Steve Rendle
Steve Rendle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, had to deal with some unsavoury people, many colleagues went on smoking breaks regularly (in 5 reviews)

• Poor management with no experience (in 4 reviews)

"Bittersweet"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Specialist in Stratham, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Specialist in Stratham, NH

I worked at Timberland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great product, benefits, awesome co-workers, many great experiences.

Cons

Due to sale of company much downsizing and policy changes that has impacted the overall culture.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at the dollar value and look to the value of the employees. The longevity of the employees should prove that they are what made the company what it is today. It was more than the dollars that made us stay for the length of time but the desire to build the brand. We really cared.

2. "2016-17 review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

Pros

None - used to be great employer but lately has gone deep down the drain.

Cons

Poor management with no experience
    The management team is a gang full of friends and family that do absolutely nothing and cover each other's backs for failures
    Quality of products is very poor for a brand that was known for its durability
    They treat staff like s.... (1920 workhouse)

Advice to Management

Go back to drawing board. the brand is getting worse each day

3. "disappointing, so much hard work and commitment not paid back"

Former Employee - Development Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Development Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Timberland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people, employees are all young, friendly and hard workers. office located in central london. company belongs to big corporation who can offer high salary and benefit

Cons

company has no clue where to go . management is extremely bad. a bounch of brown nosers with no guts

Advice to Management

make up your minds guys!

4. "Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Villa Anacaona (Dominican Republic)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Villa Anacaona (Dominican Republic)

I have been working at Timberland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good learning environment

Cons

Underpaid jobs, overwork, bad working environment

5. "Pays less, work double, zero growth, management rotten till the core."

Former Employee - Fashion Consultant in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Fashion Consultant in Pune (India)

I worked at Timberland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekday offs(If u like it)

Cons

Management is rotten till the core, zero work-life balance, no planning ahead or scheduling of shifts, offs,leaves etc. causing disruptive work-life balance.Very favouring or partial behaviour of first and second level management.
    Management is self-centered, employee's benefits put last on the priority list!
    Very low yearly appraisal, no promotion, make you work total of 54 hours per week (6 days) with 1 week off-I personally think it's ILLEGAL!
    Labour law violation-hope they look into it & take some strict action!

Advice to Management

All the good employees have left & still will be leaving, major change needed in the low level management, high level manage should look into the actual situation of staff, personally, should not only focus on sales and target, but also the difficulties & burden faced by the lower level employees.

6. "Sales Assistant/Keyholder"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Doncaster, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Doncaster, England (UK)

I worked at Timberland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good established brand with good initial training

Cons

My store (now closed) was a franchise so it was run differently to a typical Timberland store which did not work in it's favour nor do the brand any justice.

Many employment laws were broken including rules relating to working conditions/working hours.
    Managers attitude toward customer service was nonexistent (Sometimes escalated to swearing at customers if they had a complaint) probably due to the managers only having experience working within individual retailers,
    Had no concrete policies in place regarding returns/refunds/etc,
    Managers told us to offer an ordering service to customers when no specific ordering system was in place which meant that customers were waiting for weeks for items which actually only came in by chance,
    Our till was broken for weeks so we had to supply paper receipts which were invalid at other stores so customers weren't able to return items elsewhere,
    Due to a broken till system we also had to use a calculator to work out total amounts/discounts etc which left massive opportunity for mistakes which often happened,
    Managers told us during the Christmas period that refunds/exchanges were available up until the 10th Jan then went back on their word so we had to refuse refunds/exchanges to customers we had previously confirmed that this was perfectly fine which resulted in many irate customers and further complaints.

Advice to Management

Don't open a franchise for a brand that you aren't ready for. Horrific experience but working within a store that is ran properly would probably have made it much better.

7. "I giant waste of time and effort."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at Timberland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the people absolutely made it for me, they became a second family to me. To be honest these wonderful (but crazy people who have stayed there so long) are the only reason I have been able to stand it there for so long. I hope they escape someday...

Cons

Minimum wage for an often tiresome, chaotic and stressful working environment/job. (Either first or second best money making store in Europe often consistently).
    Consistently asked for more for less or nothing at all.
    Management could be disorganized/lazy/moronic in their decision making and often on the shop floor for no more than 45 minutes max in a full day.
    Ever since VF have owned the company it has gone downhill: Less holiday time, discount is now only 20% and there are no signs of considering the ones who are actually making the money lower down the food chain.
    Promises of change never kept.

Advice to Management

To the ones who worked at my store, listen to the sales assistants they are the most involved in the moneymaking aspects of the business and communication needs to desperately improve. Don't make promises you cannot keep. E.g pay rises and opportunities for positions and development.

To the management above them who I consider the biggest set of monkeys I have ever heard about and have unfortunately met, you need to come down off of your high horses, work in one of the busiest stores in Europe and seriously ask yourselves: would I ever do this for minimum wage for 40 hours a week? As far as I know they only care for the digits they get emailed at the end of the day for how well we had done compared to how many customers had entered the store. I trully hope I never have to involve myself in such a stingy non-cooperative company such as VF again.

The Swartz family should never have handed their brand over to that addled bohemoth I know as VF.

There is a good chance no one from head office or anyone in management under Timberland will read this, but for god sake you've got to listen to the people you work with and strive for change, otherwise people are simply not going to work for you or want to work for you. Please change for the better.

8. "At That Location, There where"

Pros

Payed every week
    fun environment

Cons

Mangers Suck
    more hours needed

Advice to Management

Keep Family problems out of the work place