Timberland Reviews | Glassdoor

Timberland Reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Timberland Vice President, VF Corporation and Group President, Outdoor & Action Sports Americas Steve Rendle
Steve Rendle
1 Rating

Pros
  • Employees are very community service minded and passionate about the brand heritage and products (in 9 reviews)

• Good work/life balance in a casual environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, had to deal with some unsavoury people, many colleagues went on smoking breaks regularly (in 5 reviews)

• Even the full time works have multiple jobs (in 3 reviews)

1. "Alright Place to Work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Timberland part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid community service, amazing discount on products

Cons

Management, hours when it's not a holiday season are terrible, pay

Advice to Management

Care for your employees, they'll work hard for you, don't and they find someplace better and you can't try and lure them back

2. "don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Stratham, NH
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Stratham, NH

Pros

The cafeteria wasn't bad and there were some hot chicks in the office. Nice parking lot with plenty of spaces.

Cons

Constantly micro-managed. Very cliquey. Lots of jealousy. Job was nothing like they said in the interview!

Advice to Management

Show respect to new hires and don't give false hope.

3. "Friendly co-workes balanced out an unfair boss. Overall the store was a pain. Wasn't paid enough to deal with it all."

I worked at Timberland part-time

Pros

Co-workers were always friendly and helpful. Really good floor vibe.

Cons

My boss was absolutely horrible, not paid enough, obsessive organizing of shoe racks and clothing racks.

Advice to Management

Hire, or promote more professional floor and store managers.

"Four years experience with Timberland, read my review!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbury, NY

Pros

Great discount. You are taught everything and it is an easy job to start at. After about two weeks, I knew exactly what I had to do every time. A lot of regular customers so sometimes they begin to recognize you, feels good belonging. Also the fellow sales associates are very cool, made some life long friends working at the company. Casual and relaxed dress code, for stock you can even wear sweats/basketball shorts. I never needed to use them so im not exactly sure, but my fellow employees told me the benefits were great for part timers. Very easy to get requested time off. Very environmentally friendly.

Cons

I am not a fan of the company and would not recommend working with them. Was an employee for four years straight at two different locations and never got a promotion. Raises are one time a year, and if you get $0.20, that is very good. I remember people getting as low as $0.08, basically a slap in the face more than a reward. Basically, the stores have very poor management. The managers are very lazy and abuse their title. They will be doing nothing, and still ask the associate to go get a shoe or do some other very simple task they could easily do. Also, some stores do not allow their part time employees to handle cash at the register. This was also a slap in the face to me, for as a 20 year old college student who had been employed for years at the time, I felt i was more than qualified to handle cash. However, I was not. This also gave managers another excuse to be lazy as one would stay at the register at all times. Even if there were no customers, a manager would continue to sit at the register just doing nothing. Also, there was one security guard. When he would take an hour lunch, someone would have to stand at the front to greet and watch for theft in that area. More times than half, a manager would take this position. If only management can handle cash, and must supervise and MANAGE the store, why would they bound themselves to just the guard's spot in the front? Because they were very lazy. These are just two examples, but basically the managers were very lazy and would ask every employee to do even the smallest task (a 30 second task sometimes) before doing it themselves. Also, there is no room for growth as bad as the management was. I was an employee for two years, then transferred and was an employee for one year. While employed, a manager quit. I was very trusted and respected, and was basically running the stock room. It was q4 and we were short a manager, yet i NOR anyone else was promoted. Instead, the head manager decided to work the entire q4 short one manager, sometimes scheduling other mangers for open-close shifts right off the bat, and then hired a completely new manager from outside after q4. The list goes on and on, but as you can see, very poor management. Also, the stock room was often neglected. After a while I was basically the "stock lead". On my days off, nobody would work the stock room. The shipment would literally sit there untouched. Instead of having another person process it, it just waited till my next shift. So another con is the stock room is often very annoyed, and if you are responsible for stock the work load gets very heavy and you are still nott given assistance. Yet, although they knew I had 3 days of stock work to do sometimes, they would schedule me for short shifts like 11-4. So i would have to do 3 days work in half of a shift. Another flaw, lack of hours. During q4 you can get all the hours you want. After that, not a chance. The maximum amount of hours you will receive a week is 25, and thats usually the best employee or two as most part timers get 12-20. Some as low as less than 10 consistently. No raises, no growth, very poor management, and a large lack of hours. Strongly recommend finding employment elsewhere unless you are in high school and this is your first job as it is fun at first until you realize you deserve more.

Advice to Management

Stop being lazy. You guys are managers - lead by example and show us how its done. Do not use your title to be able to stand around and have the employees be your minions. Also, give some people a chance. Ive seen people work at stores literally from OPENING DAY for two years straight and get nothing but a twenty cent raise. Ive also seen people work this same amount of time and get beat to a management position by someone never employed by timberland. Basically, management has to start actually doing their job and using common sense.

6. "Antiquated"

Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Timberland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

global business, technology orientation, solvent, a growing group owner, diversity,

Cons

pay, benefits, hr processes, culture, lack of best practice methods, calibre of staff, lack of training, poor unit profitability, lack of efficiency focus and competitiveness, queuing systems.

Advice to Management

modernise

7. "Recruiting and Talent development managere"

Former Employee - RS and TOD Manager in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
    Former Employee - RS and TOD Manager in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

I worked at Timberland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot to learn, stable company, good benefits

Cons

stressful environment, not recognition for hard work

Advice to Management

motivate more

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ellesmere Port, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ellesmere Port, England (UK)

I worked at Timberland part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff who are easy to get along with on a personal level but not business wise, made some great friends

Cons

After having started a new job i realize how bad of company this is in regards to staff treatment. Managers do not care about staff who are part time only full time workers were treated with respect and consideration, Guilt tripping in regards to taking holidays and made to feel bad for requesting holidays and after a former colleague booked a holiday 3 months in advance he was forced to leave the company as the area manager quoted to him 'if you don't work it, you know where the door is' i found this completely inappropriate and completely unfair as he was a hard worker . . They do not work around other commitments such as college/university having agreed to do so in interviews and would work you into the ground given the opportunity. It was discussed with many different store workers that the area manager was rude, smug and definitely did not have staffs best interests in mind. Overall i would never work for this company again and all staff who i worked with felt the same had they not money commitments and while i worked there 3 people walked out of this job and 6 people quit in the short time i was there and one lady only lasted one day.

Advice to Management

To take in to consideration what kind of people you are employing to run your shops as much of what takes place goes against numerous HR Regulations and fair treatment to staff.

9. "Good, very informative and a lot of technical information"

Former Employee - Fashion Consultant in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Fashion Consultant in Pune (India)

I worked at Timberland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good, technical, technology, winter wear, new fashion merchandise, accessories, shoes, very nice store layout in India.

Cons

under reliance in India,

Advice to Management

Indian market: no marketing done, market potential can improve if marketed well. NO PR done, price bracket too high for the Indian Market. Target audience not justified in India. Targeting premium customer is not the way to go about for timberland. Timberland caters to different social catogeries depending on what intent the product is being purchased for