Time Warner Cable Reviews | Glassdoor

Time Warner Cable Reviews

Updated May 8, 2017

Pros
  • Great benefits great co workers (in 498 reviews)

• Good benefits, great place to work (in 307 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a joke if you want to advance (in 57 reviews)

• The concept of excellent customer service has been lost (in 106 reviews)

"DSR? What Happened?"

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Portland, ME

I have been working at Time Warner Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the manager that you get, you might like them. Or not..... see the cons for my full review.

Cons

The transformation of this job from its former self is a radical negative change to my personal lifestyle and psychological status. It has gone from the best job of my life to that of something I question my daily purpose. A job that redefined the life of many for the positive is now drowned in punitive rules, unattainable goals, and fear. How can someone be de-valued from one day to the next, and nobody from Time Warner Cable takes accountability for their actions? How can a company reduce the market value on outside sales representatives without any type of discourse?

The Direct Sales Rep job I initially signed up for was to go outside the box and reach into people’s pockets in order to better the subscriber base of a gigantic company. It involved using my time, car, know how, intuition, and self drive to convince non-believers to drink the ‘kool aid’. These prospects were people that had been severely burned in the past…poor customer service, gigantic bills, and deceit. On top of this, DSR’s we are shadowed by the daunting task of occupational solicitors; the burden of overcoming the door-to-door sales stigma that has been tarnished since the dawn of time.

Direct Sales Representatives are looked at like the black sheep of Time Warner Cable. Unpredictability is our bread and butter; we churn through our street leads in all hours of the day, work through the harshest seasons of the year, and deal with a whole host of variable customers. We get bit, yelled at, door slammed, and sometimes praised. This is a task no one would ever want to take on as a normal career. The amount of representatives that have come and gone is astounding for this reason. It is a position where creating these sales was once valued and compensated as such.

The 2016 compensation plan that was released changed the entire scope of the Direct Sales Representative role. We had been diminished to the pay and responsibility of customer inbound sales representatives; with the unfortunate task of driving out to convert unknowing customers in person. The plan was created with completely arbitrary sub standard commission amounts…no clear explanation or logical equations to which they were based upon. We made attempts to get clarification as to why this had occurred and no answers were given. We were at the mercy of a company that was being purchased with top executives looking for a golden parachute. It was clear that they still needed our revenue stream; but ultimately wanted all the sales to go through cheaper processing avenues: call center/front counter/online.

Time Warner Cable then began creating their own rules at their own discretion that completely redefined the position. The new compensation plan for 2016 was activated prior to that of past compensation plans. In the past, were given a standard 30-day grace period to adapt our sales style in preparation to its new metrics. The 2016 compensation plan was introduced prematurely; allowing a shorter time for DSR’s to adequately make changes to maximize its changes. The use of GPS tracking also went into effect to add undue stress and unnecessary complexity of the job (this occurred prior to the compensation plan and held reps accountable for six hours in the field without any type of signed agreement).

To change a job’s commission structure so significantly to such a large employee base is both alarming and scary. Direct Sales Reps’ once counted on several avenues of sales creation. We could sell off of our pre-determined sales ‘turf’, save cancelled subscribers, and even sell to ‘off turf’ friends, family, and referrals. All of this was positive revenue creation; the sole mission of Time Warner Cable from day one. However, with the new compensation plan, the majority of these sales avenues were eliminated. Due to this, the commissions were reduced to a paltry fraction of their former self. The representatives were then left with greater than 50% commission reduction. Needless to say, the morale was dramatically reduced and occupational retention is at an all time low.

To see the Direct Sales position lose its acclaim is both embarrassing and scary. I once truly believed in the company, its values, and what it stood for. The new compensation plan has changed all of that. It has made me question the integrity of both the company and who controls it. I feel for the DSR’s that have become accustomed to making the wage they signed on for from day one…. and now will have to adjust the way they live due to this compensation plan. It is these reasons I have documented as to why I feel that this compensation plan is wrong and unjustifiable.

Advice to Management

Go back to allowing reps to work whatever turf they need to work in order to make money. This in territory out of territory crap is insane!

2. "Retention Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Time Warner Cable full-time

Pros

Free cable, Internet and phone

Cons

Terrible managers, no help when you hv questions, NO emphasis on customer service just sales

Advice to Management

Be kind to your team, be a TEAM, resolve customer concerns correctly, address the reverse racism

3. "Sup"

Current Employee - Direct Sales Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Supervisor in New York, NY

Pros

TWC things will change frequently

Cons

Morale has declined with the new management in place
    In last year.Lack of leadership with skill in DS

Advice to Management

CEO Undercover boss needed here In order to fix upper Mgt miss management and department wide morale issue

"Technical"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Time Warner Cable full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefit - health insurance, bonus, stock plan, flexible hours (work from home), etc.

Cons

CEO just want to sell the company. FCC approved the merger with Charter. Time to start looking for new job. TWC connects customers but it communications among different groups are difficult. Different region/groups have different policy, standard, etc. waste so much time on process and very inefficient. Time to leave.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say.

6. "Direct Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Irving, TX

I have been working at Time Warner Cable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free cable great company benefits

Cons

things you can't control like techs on installs

Advice to Management

To go out with reps to see what it is like out in the field instead of having manager write handworking reps up.

7. "customer service tech support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

there are no pros currently

Cons

I have international calling which is suposed to be free However I pay a fee and it is supposed to be unlimited. It is not adequate and is done through a 3 party service which is most of the time not working. when it goes off I have to call a olong voice mail which sends me finally to a customer service person who transfers me to a first tier tech person in INdia who then transfers me to someone else No one seems to know what they are doing and I often get overcharged sometimes by hundreds of dollars. the current outage is so annoying that I am going to buy a smart phone and start using WHATS APP Time warner ups the price by a huge amount without notice The company is incompetant adn the emplyees steal from the customers this is unacceptable

Advice to Management

Kindly upgrade your service or you are going to lose it. Bad business Bad service lots of competition means end of your company

8. "Mentor"

Current Employee - Senior Service Technician in Vidor, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Service Technician in Vidor, TX

I have been working at Time Warner Cable (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health Insurance, Vacation, Sick time,

Cons

To many to share with you at this time

Advice to Management

None

9. "Media Sales Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Time Warner Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None can apply here mainly because of the Charter merger causing declines in morale and mismanagement if I could submit this review with no stars I would

Cons

Pay for LA is atrocious
    Management will not act on anything because of the Charter sale which leaves low and middle management free to do whatever they want
    Management does not contribute to business they are just waiting to collect their check from the merger
    Perks of free tv only apply to those that live in TWC coverage areas
    TV Products are decades behind other providers because of the merger and poor management not pushing for better equipment
    All divisions are completely disconnected from one another including business class, media, and cable

Advice to Management

Hurry up and collect your checks and stock options and leave so we can get back to real business and actually make the company better which means actually providing customer service to consumers buying our products, you know the people that are paying your salaries

10. "Direct Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at Time Warner Cable (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, free cable and services(I get every channel and service for free).

Cons

No common sense thinking whatsoever. In complete disarray since talks of a merger, and by disarray, I mean anarchy, nobody knows what they are doing, it's every man/woman for themselves. Does not care about employees or customers, only shareholders. The job was okay when commission plans make it worth working, they just cut commissions big time. Do not even waste your time!

Advice to Management

They can't seem to apply their thinking to real life situations and only look at numbers(mostly inaccurate) on a spreadsheet. They spend all your times in meetings and pretty much waste their time accomplishing nothing when the direct sales reps are the only people that actually have any concrete evidence of what they have accomplished. Using leadership to describe management is a punchline, its almost like they have never even taken a business class in their lives because they seem to go against any basic business concepts. .

"Good pay. No balance."

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Time Warner Cable (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent, and insurance was great. Fun raffles for top sales people. They offer a pension program as well.

Cons

Personally, the work/ life balance was essentially impossible. Commission is based on percentages, so if you take a call without selling something, it actually hurts you. I like the idea that it was competitive, but there was no call screening whatsoever, so there would regularly be calls that were complaints, or technical support issues. My other problem was advancement. I was one of the top sales reps on the floor and had interest in moving to Business Class operations. I had 2 interviews for 2 separate positions, both of which seemed to focus solely on the amount of time I was with the company, as opposed to what I had to offer.

Advice to Management

Put more effort into the development of those that express interest in moving forward. I interviewed multiple times for a Business Class position and was turned down due to my tenure. I've since moved to a company in a B2B position and have been very successful.

Showing 392 of 3,212 reviews