Timegate Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

Timegate Studios Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2018

Found 26 reviews

2.1
Timegate Studios CEO Adel Chaveleh (no image)
Adel Chaveleh
  1. "Good days and long days"

in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Timegate Studios

Pros

-Free soda! -Free lunch and dinner! -Great coworkers -Get to make video games!

Cons

-Crunch time -Communication could be better

Timegate Studios2012-05-15
  2. "Not a good start in the Gaming Dev world"

I worked at Timegate Studios full-time

Pros

Coworkers I worked with on a day to day basis were nice.

Cons

Micromanagement, insane hours leading to 16 hour days for over 4 months at a time.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter now, they are all gone.

Timegate Studios2018-04-16
  3. "Don't work here"

I worked at Timegate Studios

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

No career advancement opportunities at company

Timegate Studios2016-12-11
  4. "Full time artist"

in Houston, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios

Pros

Small team made it so that I got to wear many hats and apply myself in a range of areas. The team was great and we worked closely together. We used unreal tools which was a great tool to learn. Art leadership was fun.

Cons

Our projects had limited funding so we had very tight schedules. There was frequent long crunch periods. We couldn't iterate as much as we would have liked, so the quality of the gameplay experience didn't get very polished. Frequently let senior talent go to keep production cost low.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that leadership should secure better funding to allow for healthier production and memorable games.

Timegate Studios2016-04-08

"RIP"

in Houston, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios for more than a year

Pros

The refrigerator was usually pretty stocked? There were a lot of creative people there that were unfortunately hindered by poor management and bad decisions.

Cons

fairly poor pay for the line-level employees while the directors and producers made off like bandits. There were at least 2-3x more producers than ongoing projects. Constantly called in to work the weekends due to poor planning and trying to get pitches out the door. A few of the directors were some of the most unprofessional people I've had the misfortune of working for (berating and yelling at employees in... front of everyone.) Management ran the company into the ground and then everyone was just unceremoniously let go all at once (save for a handful). The worst was that they had already been in the process of hiring a few other people that moved from across the country to work at the studio and then after they packed up their families and moved, were then told that they were no longer needed.

Advice to Management

advice at this point would be like speaking ill of a dead person. It doesn't matter. Maybe never start a new game studio? If you do, keep an eye on the people you place in positions of power a little more closely? Maybe don't ask employees for a game idea, and then bastardize their creative vision by turning it into a generic shooter?

Timegate Studios2015-08-09
  6. "Great co-workers, overburdened with production (10% of dev staff at one point!)"

I worked at Timegate Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, talented co-workers. Not much crunch. Cheap area to live in. Had an interesting project. Overall, it wasn't a horrible place to be and there was some fun to be had.

Cons

Too much emphasis on production pipeline to solve problems. Shooting for mediocrity. Producers drove development rather than creative. Not enough outside perspective in upper management.

Advice to Management

Does it matter now?

Timegate Studios2013-08-06
  7. "It was an ok place to work."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Stafford, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people with very low drama

Cons

doesn't pay well and the benefits are not very good.

Timegate Studios2013-06-11
  8. "Extremely Poor Management and Low Morale"

Former Employee - Game Designer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Because turnover is so high, it was relatively easy to get promoted quickly * Free soda in the breakroom and "free" dinner if you work overtime

Cons

* Management is incompetent and refuse to try to improve themselves. Instead, they push all blame onto the employees and others. * The company mantra is "process over people" and they view all employees as replaceable. One underpaid employee was even told after asking for more money that they should "be thankful they just have a job in this economy". * Turnover was approximately 50% annually, which is extremely... damaging to the dynamic of the team. * Positive feedback is nearly impossible to receive unless a process was done "correctly" (even if the end result was bad). * The company is constantly in legal disputes with other companies and is often accused of being fraudulent. * Mostly entry level employees are hired (cheaply), which can be fine, but there's little to no training after they join.

Advice to Management

* Take some responsibility for yourself and realize that almost every manager underneath you mimics your management style, which hurts the company greatly. * Please don't give yourself $45k bonuses and continue to fly first class and stay in Presidential suites after the company lays off employees.

Timegate Studios2013-06-28
  9. "Good and bad"

I worked at Timegate Studios

Pros

The people are great. Great benefits and fun work environment.

Cons

The top management is rigid and tough to work for. They are standoffish and not very approachable.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with staffers and make everyone feel included.

Timegate Studios2013-04-17
  10. "Good place to get foot in the door, not so great to stay for too long"

I have been working at Timegate Studios

Pros

*Room for advancement - Employees are oftentimes able to achieve a lead position if they are willing to work hard and stick with it *Great people to work with - With a few exceptions, just about everyone gets along very well. Employees often organize various events outside of work where you will find a lot of co-workers just hanging out, having a great time. *Opportunities to expand skill set - If you want to... learn something new, you are generally able to. Most of your colleagues are more than willing to help if you are willing to learn, and if you are able to prove you can do something, you will be given the chance to in a professional capacity

Cons

*While opportunities to expand skill set are available, taking advantage will sometimes leave you working well beyond your job title *Management often expects employees to complete unrealistic sets of work over the course of each three week iteration *Overbearing reliance on process. Most developers find this frustrating, especially those on the content side.

Timegate Studios2013-03-06