Timken Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

2.0
Richard C. Kyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance in my position (in 16 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are competitive and the upper management is very conservative with money (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is clueless and upper management stays out of everything (in 10 reviews)

• Little to no accountability for indirect personnel (in 5 reviews)

1. "Once a decent company steadily going downhill.."

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in North Canton, OH
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in North Canton, OH

I worked at Timken as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, professional atmosphere, personable co-workers, knowledgeable staff

Cons

Company started outsourcing jobs, overly concerned about money

Advice to Management

Treat your current employees right or they will continue to leave to work elsewhere

"A Company that doesn't care about Employees"

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Technician in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Technician in Keene, NH

I worked at Timken full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good place to work

Cons

58 hour work weeks really stinks

Advice to Management

Listen too the people that know what they're doing !!!!!!!!

3. "3 years of bad experiences"

Former Employee - Quality Control Auditor in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Quality Control Auditor in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Timken full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security is a plus. as long as you're hired on full time and your attendance is decent, you won't lose your job.

Cons

management is apathetic at best, nepotist at worst. they only enforce rules and expect work from good employees and fail to compensate good performers

Advice to Management

pay people better, do a better job of sussing out and punishing bad employees. try to encourage good work.

4. "Sales Coordinator"

Current Contractor - Human Resources Assistant in Canal Fulton, OH
    Current Contractor - Human Resources Assistant in Canal Fulton, OH

I have been working at Timken as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and often good interaction with customers

Cons

late shift hours and highly technical product characteristics

"Lost its Way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Timken full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large global company but not too overwhelming. Preference for youth over experience. Nice campus with all the amenities.

Cons

The Company has lost its way, abandoning the things that made it a leader in the industry. We once had the best engineered bearings and applications, now the focus is on cheap. Management has become too obsessed with share price that is outsourcing everything overseas while keeping the leadership here in USA to reap the benefits. There is also a widespread downsizing of the US operations that the Company is keeping under wraps to the public.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your employees. Tell them what you are really doing. Instill confidence and motivation, not fear and dis-trust.

"Timken RBS is a no go for Maintenance Technicians"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Mascot, TN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Mascot, TN

I have been working at Timken full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Programming and building new machines is the best thing. The work is varied and at your own pace. Many projects are available.

Cons

Apathetic supervision. The manager is either being lied to about team members behaviors and performance or complicit. Four workers with tenure run the shop and work actively to run new employees out. High turnover. The shop is poorly organized. Priorities change minute to minute. Lack of new employee onboarding program and no on the job training.

Advice to Management

In a year at Timken RBS, six employees have been hired and left the maintenance team. Find the common denominator. Monitor your leadership team and senior employees.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Canton, OH

Pros

Pays well and has reasonable incentive programs

Cons

Company survives on short term actions and reactions to market conditions. Workforce planning is primitive and simplistic

8. "Struggling company with a poor management team"

Current Employee - Salaried Associate in West Lebanon, NH
    Current Employee - Salaried Associate in West Lebanon, NH

I have been working at Timken (More than 10 years)

Pros

The facility has provided me with a career capable of meeting my financial obligations. They offer tuition reimbursement for all associates with a two year commitment from the time of receiving the final reimbursement check.

Cons

The management team is in a constant state of flux. Poor decisions and poor understanding of the business requires the associates of the organization to work much harder to accomplish business objectives than should be necessary.

Advice to Management

Work with your associates and listen to their needs. Provide them with the tools necessary to perform the jobs without a need to operate at a frantic pace.

"Not what I expected"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Gaffney, SC
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Gaffney, SC

I have been working at Timken full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent top pay
    Night shift is laid back

Cons

It seems all the intelligent management has moved on and Timken promoted within... not the Timken I grew up hearing about. This company does not care about you. You rarely work a normal week. It's either overtime or short time. It takes five years to reach top pay.... the benefits get more expensive and they give no.cost of.living raise. So every year you actually get a pay cut. Moral is horrible. Every rotation you come into some kind of bad news or rumor of the plant laying off or shutting down. There is no advancement. Timken is a job not a career... I could continue...

Advice to Management

Focus on the people who work for you, and watch production increase. If you put rims on a 89 honda civic it's still a Honda civic... stop wasting money on painting and put money into the old machines that break on a daily basis. Gove incentives instead of taking away. Timken used to be a place where people wanted to work. Now Timken is a place you go when Frieghtliner or BMW lays off.

10. "Stay Away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mascot, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mascot, TN

I have been working at Timken full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There have been a few opportunities to work on new skills. I have had relative freedom to accomplish my tasks.

Cons

My direct management and supervisor express a general apathy toward issues I bring to them. I have to constantly make sure that I am being paid correctly and that deductions are correct. My supervision forgot that I was taking vacation even with ample notice had not submitted paperwork. The environment is extremely unsafe do to crowded conditons and heavy forklift traffic. There is little to no on the job training. My manager, supervisor, and two senior employees all gang up on new hires and work to whittle down their self esteem. I have seen 5 coworkers leave because of this. My coworkers group up and passive agressively trash talk each other to the point where no one is happy at work. My supervision is unable to keep things confidential. In an effort to cover this up they pass the "supervisor" hat around the engineering department like a Frisbee.

Advice to Management

You eat dinner with your senior employees in your personal time. Hang out at their residences. You work closer with your employees then any other place I have been. If you truly wanted a different work environment you would have made changes.