TitleMax General Manager In Training Reviews | Glassdoor

General Manager In Training

3.7
Tracy Young

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay is Good, the people not so much (in 37 reviews)

• Great pay and room for advancement (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Going to have to say work life balance, if you put the work in your there 10 hours a day to run a balanced business (in 38 reviews)

• I'm the fall of 2015 upper management had a meeting to save on payroll (in 72 reviews)

"Leadership is why I am still here"

Current Employee - General Manager In Training in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - General Manager In Training in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at TitleMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a GMT. I love the company. It has been awesome since starting. I interviewed with a recruiter out of Savannah, GA and then James Placek in Las Vegas. Both of them were awesome interviews and I landed this dream job. My real reason for writing this review though is the fact that I was entering a week of sales training and I was very nervous that I may fail the for the week and contemplated resigning. The sales process is great, but I was just afraid I may not do well. When the RM James Placek found out about this from Allen Leach and Ron Munz,(both are great by the way. awesome DM's) he immediately came to see me in person to assure me that I was over thinking it and not to worry about not doing well, but to think about how great I was going to do. He said to just have fun and let your sales training flow through you as you really learn it. Wow, this changed my entire mindset. I went from thinking about resigning to feeling like a major part of the team again all because of the way he talked to me. He is the most genuine person/leader/manager I have ever dealt with at a company. If it weren't for him I would most likely not be here today. Now I am excited about sales training and ready to tackle it head on. My future looks great. Titlemax is so awesome and so are the people. I highly recommend it.

Cons

There are no real cons. The leadership is why I am here today. It's the kind of place that you want to work for because you are treated like an employee and a person, not a number. We help people that need money. No con there.

Advice to Management

You have a great company and team. I am very happy here because of the way I was talked to. Totally different from companies I have worked for in the past. We serve a great need in our community, money. People always need money and we are helping those in need. It's a great service.

TitleMax Response

Apr 15, 2016 – Recruiting Operations Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, we are thrilled to hear about your positive experience at the Company. It is important that we know what we’re doing right in order for us to... More

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager In Training in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager In Training in Richmond, VA

I have been working at TitleMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, benefits, fast promotion and off on Sundays. The business hours are great as well. Its basically a feel good job helping to change peoples lives!

Cons

Any time you deal with the public/collections there are going to be days where you just wonder why why why

Advice to Management

Please continue to listen to the people in the field doing the leg work for you. Its important to keep morale up on a daily basis

"Hiring only people that can produce year over year sales at any and all cost"

Former Employee - General Manager In Training in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager In Training in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TitleMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a General Manager income is exceptional. $60,000 plus

Cons

You may only get an opportunity to run a store that is far from your house. They promise paid days off but imply that if your numbers are not right you shouldn't be taking days off. There is no proven way to make people borrow money at 125% interest. You have to pull the wool over most people's eyes to get the name on the dotted line. Most of the time what you don't say is more important that what you do say. They are in hire and fire mode and will not hesitate to fire you after 3 months of below standard performance. If you can't ride the razor's edge of high interest loans and taking people's cars do not apply

Advice to Management

Understand that behaviors overall matter. Circumstances matter. It is better to have a conservative business model and create a loyal base of returning customers than abuse and maximize the ones that walk through the door. Over time you will find that finding qualified, ethical, hard working general managers is harder than finding potential clients. The culture of grading your General Managers abilities must change and reflect the reality that GA is no longer a growth state for title pawns. In time, most stores will be forced to either do unethical or impractical loans. Someone needs to stand up and tell the owner Mr. Young what is about to happen to his highly capable staff in GA.

4. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager In Training in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager In Training in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at TitleMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every other weekend off "if" you have a good, reliable Assistant.

Cons

COLLECTION CALLS and Visits! GM's have to do B2B marketing as well. And Goal Projections must be set high with no excuses for failure. Cleaning out Repo'd cars sucks as does taking cars from people who really couldn't afford to borrow all of the money you are forced to sell (Maximum Loan Value), preys on people in proverty.

Advice to Management

Really need to focus on work-life balance and culture

"Horrible Experience"

Former Employee - General Manager In Training in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager In Training in Newport News, VA

I worked at TitleMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The initial pay is appealing

Cons

The Culture of the Company is set up for failure. You get written up continuously and are never appreciated or encouraged during training. They tell you one thing and they do another. I have been in management for many years and I have never been treated so poorly. I would not recommend this company to anyone. The hours are long, the schedule changes frequently and the demand are high based on the training. Stay away if at all possible.

Advice to Management

Lead by example and don't do the things that you tell employees not to do. The culture in the office is horrendous and the pressure as to whether you will last another day it insane. Being disrespectful and short is not professional, its mean.

"No training, yet, expectations are exceedingly high."

Former Employee - General Manager In Training
    Former Employee - General Manager In Training

I worked at TitleMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Bonus once per month for the first year. Then you go down to $30k yearly.

Cons

Placed in a very busy store and asked to train, yet customers were glaring at you to assist them. So, you either assist customers and don't train; or, attempt to train, yet be told by General Manager that customers come first. So again, no training time, yet after 1 1/2 months of great service to customers; I had no idea how to run a store; which, is what they grade you on. POOR District Management and Regional Management support, they have a "just do it all" mentality, with no direction. And, the training GM's are a joke. No idea how to train.

The company is ALWAYS changing procedures, and implementation doesn't get to all staff, so the training GM's criticize you and correct you in front of customers, which is embarrassing and humiliating.

Advice to Management

Have a training location that isn't so busy with customers, so that you have an opportunity to train. GM trainers are pathetic. They offer no assistance or guidance. And because they are elevated to a training GM, they feel that they don't have to help customers, so the new people do and muddle their way through a transaction. And as long as training GM is kissing up to Upper Management; nothing will change. It's a Company riddled with the political games. HAVE SOME CONSISTANCY in your stores. The District Managers have no formal education, which is disappointing, because I am a College graduate and feel like I'm talking to or reading an email from an idiot.

"GM for 1 WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay away............"

Former Employee - General Manager In Training in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager In Training in Austin, TX

I worked at TitleMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Poor ethics+ poor company= no pros.

Cons

There is a saying if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. From the moment the recruiter calls you it will all be explained very vague and its the old bait and switch!
    I was told I was going to have a base of 50k with potential of manager bonus after 3 months, well......... come to find out after I started that, you really start out at 30k with a 20k bonus which is part of your "POTENTIAL" manager bonus. The after 3 months thing... yeah no its when they actually have an open store then you might get the opportunity, hopefully they wont hire someone else and skip right over you, and you will end up being just a floater with no bonus! I met 2 GMs that they had floating all over the place and not making the promised bonus and they have been there for months, plus it also depends on the RM and DM if they like you then you might get a good store, if not then your stuck in a non producing store! As a GM you MUST work 48 hours and this is not explained to you during the interview process, they pay you hourly and play with the numbers for it to look as if your getting paid OT for the 8 additional hours but your not. Part of your job requirements are-
    They make you go in your car and knock on peoples doors to ask them for payment! that is scary because 80% of their customer base lives in rural areas or projects. Plus you do not get money for the wear and tear of your car. One night as I was leaving the store there were 4 men in the back parking lot doing drugs, not the type of environment you want to be in.
    When you are doing the loans you must add some insurance product and it is extremely expensive, even though this company might have the lowest rates in the state they are very shady at the store level. Since they must sell a ton of accounts to make a bonus the managers lie to the customers and omit information in order to meet their goals. Its pretty sad how many people get upset once they realize what is really going on with the acct. A lot of playing with words . It did not feel right to me and I do have a conscience, so I couldn't stay there, people go there to get help not to get into more debt. sadly most of their customers are illegal immigrants and uneducated people so this is how they get away with it.
     Training ... where do I even begin......all of it is handled by other GM that have no training themselves, b-cuz you are an extra burden for them, they could careless about you as a new employee, no one has any answers and the upper management has extremely poor work ethics. I heard a DM the second day of employment complain about being in that district. If you are Latino or a female looking for advancement good luck they will hire you but you will probably wish they hadn't! If you are looking for diversity, please look elsewhere. All upper level management - purely white males!
    If you are looking for a career with a reputable company this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Hire people with actual management experience and people skills, train you people right, and be honest!

8. "Great start"

Current Employee - General Manager In Training
    Current Employee - General Manager In Training

Pros

Professional, respectful good structure for a company expanding so rapidly. Each contact point was approachable and knowledgeable about the company and the direction top management is taking.

Cons

No cons at this time. Everything looks great

Advice to Management

Stay on the path and keep growing.