Toast Inc Field Implementation Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 13, 2019

2.8
Toast Inc CEO Chris Comparato
Chris Comparato

"An exciting place to work"

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Toast has a great culture and really does care about their people and customers. The Field Implementation Engineer position has honestly been one the most enjoyable jobs I have had in a long time. There is an excitement working for this company while in its rapid growth phase. The healthcare benefits are very competitive and the pay is fair with plenty of opportunity for overtime.

Cons

This company is constantly evolving processes to better scale, while thats a great thing, if your used to working in an established company with static processes this may cause some discomfort.

Advice to Management

As we grow, please never lose what makes Toast a great company, many businesses go public and feel the pressure from investors to change who they are to satisfy projected earnings.

Toast Inc2018-07-14

"High Demand & 70 hours work weeks"

Former Employee - Field Implementation Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Toast Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, 401k, stock options, culture, diversity.

Cons

Looks like there's opportunity to improve on work life balance. I used to work 60-70 hr weeks just to stay on top of assignments. Too many hats to wear in my role compared to competition. Assignments should be divided equally per territory resources, not on quantity of businesses, but per customer site. For example: 1. FIE, Surveys, Installs/ Implements, trouble shoots. 2. Menu Specialist- goes in after FIE to... tweak items and correct menu errors.( Most of the time an FIE spends after implementing, is trying to correct menu items and fixing errors). Also, Menu Specialist should be the back/ Front, Rest. MGR , staff trainer on site. 3. Go Live, should be staffed by FIE and menu Specialist as a team when possible to address all issue items on site. Sales too in an as needed scenario.

Advice to Management

You're working your FIE's too much and RIM's should be paying more attention to burn out's. Implement ideas, listen to everyone carefully to retain best talent. Mimic a little better the suggestions listed above in the CON's section. Review and solve Menu department errors to minimize field menu "horrors" and omissions. Do a better job at quality control for the menu Specialist and implement a better plan to follow... up w customer and tweak menu wants and wishes prior to shipping hardware.

Toast Inc2019-02-13

"Broken promises and horrible treatment/work-life balance"

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rapidly growing company with a high evaluation value

Cons

Ridiculous work requirements - 60+ hour weeks required. Booked out on appointments as much as 12 weeks ahead, 60+ hours. Unlimited PTO policy, but almost all requested denied. Salaries 40 to 50% under market standard. 15+ hour days normal. Poor yearly evaluations given to prevent having to give raises. Now asking for weekend work as well. Benefits that were cornerstones of hiring being taken away one by... one. Almost never get breaks for meals, much less just breaks, even though we should "feel empowered to take breaks," the scheduling and customer needs do not allow for them. Doesn't pay missed meal break penalty pay. Management bonuses based on productivity numbers. Company management and founders are probably just trying to drive the stock evaluation price up so they can bail and make a fortune while the people in the field actually doing the hard customer facing work will be stuck with their stocks for a year after the company goes public, is sold off and then drops drastically in value.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking your people just for a few more bonus percentages.

Toast Inc2018-09-21

"Great startup to work for"

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

This startup company is definitely going places. I'm apart of a growing team, and everyone works their butts off. The great part is you can work from almost anywhere across the country.

Cons

I work remotely, so it is hard to Hague how well I'm doing in my position.

Advice to Management

Try to reach out more often to your remote employees.

Toast Inc2015-11-08