Toast Inc Software Engineer(Internship) Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Toast Inc CEO Chris Comparato
Chris Comparato
  1. Featured Review

"Dream job, dream company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Truly can't say enough good things about this company. What a breath of fresh air it is to have found a place where you can believe in the product, love who you work with, and love your job. The perks/benefits are awesome - free breakfast and snacks everyday, beer fridge and tap, regular outings and events, unlimited time off - the list goes on. Work-wise, I've never found a more transparent, honest, and "no ego"... group of leaders at a corporate company. It truly defies the norms. Coming from a job where bosses were there to intimidate and demand, Toast was quite a culture shock when I found the exact opposite. Managers sole purpose is to help you grow your career. The culture and environment is excellent. Everyone is happy to be here, and gives their all everyday - not because they are forced to, but because they believe in this company's mission and the product we sell. It's truly something to get behind. I love my job and who I do it for - I never thought I'd find that!

Cons

No real cons. Things are changing all the time, but that's not a negative for me - it just shows the company is still agile and flexible to improve operations, so that we can continue to grow.

Toast Inc2019-09-05
  2. "Fast Paced, Fun Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, fun motivated people, and awesome opportunity to be part of such a rapidly growing company

Cons

Because the company is growing so fast, it's outgrowing its offices (they're being renovated but it still makes day-to-day work cramped)

Toast Inc2019-12-06
  3. "Great company, I love working at Toast"

Current Employee - Software Configuration Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, fantastic benefits, lovely and unique people. I admire the company values and direction.

Cons

None to note thus far, sometime hours can be long.

Advice to Management

Dont stop people from wanting to grow.

Toast Inc2019-12-12

"Best sales job in the country"

Current Employee - Territory Account Executive

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly? Everything. Toast is an incredible company to work for. Almost all of the sales team I’m on (1/4 of the country) hits or beats quota every month. You also get to sell something you can believe in. I’ve had sales jobs selling snake oil, but when I call up my customers and ask how they’re doing, ALL of them are doing significantly better with Toast. Also, the commissions are insane. You can easily clear... 100k, and the top reps are making 50% more than that.

Cons

Not much really. Toast is growing very quickly, so there are small changes every now and then, but management does a great job of minimizing the effects on the sales team.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you’re doing, ESPECIALLY promoting from within! We all love to see this, and makes us want to work at Toast long term.

Toast Inc2019-11-22
  5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time

Pros

Great environment full of good people, stocked pub with plenty of surrounding food options.

Cons

Mishandled construction plans as well as unorganized in certain aspects due to hyper-growth

Toast Inc2019-12-01

"Great opportunity for Growth!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

- As the company keeps growing, there are more and more resources being provided for employees to develop new skills and learn from others - Career trajectory is unlimited here! There is so much opportunity for growth and development at Toast - There are so many amazing people to learn from here. Everyone (even across teams and departments) is willing to drop everything and help you develop new skills and be... successful.

Cons

Growing pains are difficult with any company, but I think Toast has done a really great job updating processes to make this a seamless transition. For example, the new onboarding program is amazing. It gives new employees all the information they need to be set up for success, and is a great way to fully immerse yourself in Toast's culture.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I can't wait to see what's next for Toast.

Toast Inc2019-11-25

"Sales has a different culture than the rest of the company"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool swag and good snacks

Cons

Sales culture is different than the rest of the toast’s culture. It comes from leadership down. They sell this idea of equality and say they value individuals, but that’s a lie. They only value dollars. People can be horrible to other team mates as long as they hit the magic numbers. They get us to buy into the lie that sales behaves like other divisions of the company, but it’s not true in any way. Toast is a sales... machine that only cares about what you can do for them. They use you up and toss you to the side when they are finished. Unless you’re a frat bro that’s ready to get drunk at every company event, you don’t really fit into sales.

Advice to Management

Get sales leadership on board with the values you preach. You’re just using people and making them believe you care about them when your leaders actions demonstrate you don’t. Maybe drinking shouldn’t be the company focus at all events. Those of us that do not drink hate the company events. It’s just a bunch of drunk people repeating themselves over and over again. I thought we were out of college.

Toast Inc2019-12-03

"Great place to grow career"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time

Pros

-very clear expectations surrounding what you need to do to get promoted -training, felt like I had all the tools and training I needed for a successful ramp -transparency around performance and weekly conversations with manager

Cons

Not really a con, but as long as you are flexible and are able to adjust to change, you're golden. Toast is going through constant change as they develop new offerings for customers and scale as a company.

Toast Inc2019-11-25

"Con"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

My friends all work here and the perks are nice

Cons

You don't get paid anything as an ISR you also will work so hard, the ISR commission is a complete lie you will not make 75k OTE I have seen this first hand. They will give you a rural territory and expect you to work so hard to make nothing,

Toast Inc2019-12-11

"Great Product - Ok Leadership - Below Avg. Pay"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

The product is years ahead of most competitors. The potential upside is massive. Tons of green space.

Cons

- Far too corporate for what they tout as a place to grow your career quickly - Compensation - Limited Stock Options: act like they are already a publicly traded company and don't use this strategically to incentivize employees to stay. - Time to Pay - Atrocious - Limited Career Growth - Nothing Defined Internally - Sales Leadership is "ehhh" - not impressed - Chris CEO, enjoys the limelight doesn't really... provide much substance.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to scale from other successful SaaS companies in the area. Hire a more tenured Growth Ops Team. Be more transparent about short comings and don't present everything through a rose colored lens (we aren't stupid). Pay your sales org. Next 6 months are crucial.

Toast Inc2019-11-14