Toast Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Comparato

"I Finally Like My Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have never been at a job that truly cares about it's values and has such amazing upper management. The execs truly care about their employees and it is clear they want all employees to have a work/life balance. That being said, be prepared to work hard/play hard! If you like to keep busy and be challenged this is definitely the place for you. I have never felt such support. It's true Toast is 100% Sunday Scary... Free!

Cons

Can't think of any. Just challenges consistent with a rapidly growing company but we are all in it together.

Advice to Management

So advice. Just thank you. After over a decade of job hopping and feeling like I'll never figure out where I belong... I have found Toast!

Toast Inc2019-05-24

"Amazing culture"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

this company has been a blessing to work for. I think I can speak for myself and all of my colleagues on the sales floor when I say I actually like coming to work. When I applied, I was promised fast career progression, support, perks, and an overall great quality of life. That is exactly what I have been given. The managers here actually want to help and look out for the interest of their team. The culture cannot... be beat. Everyone is here to play as a team, and if you have an ego, you probably dont work here. This is a work hard, play hard environment, so come to work hungry to learn and achieve!

Cons

Growing so fast i cant keep up!

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your team as a whole, treat all as equals, dont just say "do better" actually tell us how to do better, give examples of better talk tracks or actively show and tell us how to be better everyday.

Toast Inc2019-05-15

"Fast paced, customer (restaurant) focused"

Current Employee - Operations in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced quickly growing company means there's never a dull moment! Lots of exciting work to be done, challenges to tackle and problems to solve. Toast truly lives by it's " no ego" value. Founders and upper management are approachable, available and willing to get their hands dirty. There's very limited hierarchy here, which is refreshing! Many people come from hospitality industry backgrounds and are very... passionate about improving the restaurant industry.

Cons

Scaling quickly and can, at times, feel chaotic. Many tasks come at you at once and it can be difficult to prioritize. Because Toast moves quickly, sometimes new programs and processes are not rolled out/executed as well as you'd expect for a company of this size. Not a good place for someone who wants a 9-5 M-F work week. Most departments have flexibility surrounding hours and working from home, but in return,... you need to be ok with your work/life balance tilting more towards the work side.

Advice to Management

Focus more effort on effective change management and prioritization.

Toast Inc2019-05-15

"The rocketship that just keeps on flying"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm thrilled to be a part of the Toast family. Since starting here, I've seen the company evolve from bands of engineers to highly disciplined, cross-functional teams. The opportunity that we have to become the leader in the restaurant POS industry is the kind that you're lucky to see even once in your career. It remains a privilege to work alongside the incredibly talented team here. Things haven't always been... perfect. The last time I reviewed Toast, I had to include a few cons: that work/life balance could sometimes be stretched, that there was no 401k matching, and that compensation relative to the industry was a little on the low side. Management here listens, and the proof of that is that a little over a year later, all of those concerns have been addressed. Compensation, including equity, feels right for Boston. The 401K match was overdue, but is finally here. The hiring of additional engineering leadership has helped make individual teams function more efficiently and plan their workloads better. We do stupid things a lot less often. For those of us who have been around longer, we are even now also offered a "Toast sabbatical", a one-month long paid vacation provided in additional to your normal annual PTO.

Cons

This is not the kind of workplace you can expect to perform the bare minimum in. Is that even a con?

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The time spent addressing employees concerns has not gone unnoticed.

Toast Inc2019-02-15
  5. "Nothing but a positive"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open, honest, transparent, ethical and concerned

Cons

Sometimes rapid growth brings rapid change: some don’t like that

Advice to Management

Keep following your vision and keep sharing your vision.

Toast Inc2019-05-06
  6. "Amazing company, growing like crazy!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture, people, opportunities for career progression, and management are unlike any other company. Such a wonderful atmosphere!

Cons

The company is growing SO quickly, and some of the organization surrounding accommodations can feel a bit wonky

Toast Inc2019-05-03
  7. "Express Train to Success"

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

-inclusive workplace -accessible leadership -awesome benefits -managers and teammates are super supportive and want you to succeed -fast moving train but so many opportunities to grow your career quickly -Toast Core values (Recipe of a Toaster) are highly considered

Cons

-Boston HQ is getting cramped as we grow in numbers. Luckily there are renovation plans in place to recreate our office and make room for our projected growth.

Toast Inc2019-05-03
  8. "Awesome company, lots of room to grow."

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work hard, play hard environment.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Toast Inc2019-04-24
  9. "Amazing Experience!"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growing company and great energy all around! Employees are engaged and committed to the success of the clients, the company and each other. The office atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable, very supportive leadership. A wonderful combination of fun perks and inclusive culture - and a truly innovative product!

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep on growing!

Toast Inc2019-04-25

"Great Career Move"

Current Employee - Territory Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's early in my career at Toast, but every once in a while you land somewhere and know immediately that it's something special. It's clear as day how much value the company places in the success (personal and professional) of each Toaster, whether in the home office or in the field. That's a rarity and is something to be proud of. I could very well end my career here as the company is growing in so many... directions and will present opportunities to contribute in a number of different areas in the future.

Cons

I haven't personally experienced anything that could be considered a 'con' in my time at Toast.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Toast Inc2019-04-11