Toastmasters International Reviews | Glassdoor

Toastmasters International Reviews

Updated Jan 23, 2020

3.3
Toastmasters International CEO Dan Rex  (no image)
Dan Rex
Pros
Cons
  • "Since it is a non-profit organization, it could be slow to adapt to change(in 3 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Consultant - Electronics

I have been working at Toastmasters International full-time

Pros

Great environment and work place

Cons

There are not any cons working here

Toastmasters International2020-01-24
  2. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Legal Analyst

I have been working at Toastmasters International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent work-life balance and decent benefits.

Cons

Since it is a non-profit organization, it could be slow to adapt to change.

Toastmasters International2020-01-05

"Unethical nonprofit that is greedy and lacks customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Toastmasters International full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a nonprofit with a noble mission to help others improve their leadership and communication skills. Coworkers are helpful and supportive, but management couldn't be bothered to change.

Cons

What the organization sells and does is different from what it preaches and teaches. Don't trust, but verify for yourself if they act according to what they promote in their curriculum. Management gets paid $$$ for top-down decisions that don't have the customer's point of view in mind. It's hard to be on the receiving end of complaints when management doesn't empower us to solve problems. IT problems were caused by management's poor decision to upgrade education programs ineffectively. This is a slow, dying organization that can't compete with its competitors.

Advice to Management

Change management immediately to prevent them from destroying the company's reputation. Distribute their salaries to employees who matter and make difference instead of being unavailable to solve the real problems and making us deliver bad news to members who value us and pay for their professional development.

Toastmasters International2019-11-09

"Think critically, be prepared"

Pros

The organization on the whole is capable of doing amazing things. The education Toastmasters provides can change lives for the better. The majority of people working at Toastmasters are wonderful human beings. There is also a wonderful service dog!

Cons

If at all possible, apply for positions outside of the IT department. It feels toxic, it feels intimidating, the department has lost over 35 years of Toastmasters specific knowledge in personnel in less than ONE YEAR. Some of these people left voluntarily. The people with the most knowledge and the most to give got let go. This is not a good sign, and don't trust those that try to spin it otherwise. There is little cohesiveness. There is little transparency. There is little trust. Actually, there is a bit of cohesiveness and a sense of community -- these employees held together IN SPITE OF the upper echelons of IT management. However, more and more colleagues get let go. More and more of these colleagues get fed up and leave.

Advice to Management

If you are all okay with what is happening in IT, I am disappointed in you. This implicit acceptance is already degrading the experience of Toastmasters to existing and new members. Do you really want a tech leader who has pushed away massive amounts of IT talent in a job market like this?

Toastmasters International2019-05-07
  5. "My experience"

Current Employee - Training and Development Specialist

I have been working at Toastmasters International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed working environment throughout the company.

Cons

Lack originality when developing materials.

Advice to Management

Offer better benefits for employees.

Toastmasters International2019-05-10

"Depressing, sad, and demoralizing place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Toastmasters International full-time for less than a year

Pros

It breaks my heart to see on Glassdoor to see all these five star reviews from people reviewing their clubs. Yes, the clubs are life changing and the impact it has on people's lives is what drove me to work here. And I still see value in that.

Cons

...But the organization, not the clubs are thoroughly mismanaged. The IT department is a place of despair. Employees are micromanaged. It's a culture of "who was wrong" not "how can we move forward together." Leadership is unaccountable and distant. IT hired a lot of talented people and put them in positions where there was zero opportunity to succeed. People left because they were hired to do one job and got shoehorned into another job by management. It's just an unhappy and unfriendly place to work. If you like inter-office politicking between life-long employees and leadership who is immune to any criticism. Then sure, give it a go. Pay, hours, time off, and benefits are well below average for the Denver market. (Dear Glassdoor, you're asking us below to rate the CEO. But you have the name of the Toastmasters International President. Pat Johnson is fine. You should be asking people to rate Dan Rex, the actual CEO)

Advice to Management

My advice isn't to management because I shared it many times while I was on staff, and it was quite clear that they didn't care. My advice is to the members. Please read these reviews and understand there's a lot of people driven to make your club experience great, but management and entrenched self-interest is holding people back. Demand change at the C-suite level. An organization that does so much good for its members shouldn't be doing so much bad to its employees.

Toastmasters International2019-05-16

"Nice place to work"

I have been working at Toastmasters International full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are friendly, good work life balance.

Cons

There are not many cons

Toastmasters International2019-03-10

"Information Technology?"

I have been working at Toastmasters International

Pros

Very little to list here. Used to be a great place with job security and longevity.

Cons

Collusion and rampant narcissism amongst HR team and C level executives. HR has zero loyalty to the employee and questionably will fire at will with little to no documentation. If you see an issue and report it to HR they will turn around and report who reported the complaint and what was said directly to the reporting manager. They will list and claim there is a no retaliation policy, however that's simply not true proven time and time again. CEO of this non-profit is conveniently always unavailable to see what a sham of executives he leads. They will claim in the job postings it's a "family environment" however the family is really their archaic leadership and bloated paychecks. No loyalty to the worker who puts in countless hours in overtime for their glory to the Board of Directors who have no authority over the general day-to-day poor decisions. CITO is a megalomaniac narcissist stuck on only blaming his team for all the failures in his decision making. In less than 1 year we have seen 7 employees quit, be fired or let go, because the CITO refuses to acknowledge his own failures. Today we watched 16 years of combined job and business specific knowledge be laid off between two employees. If you need an IT job, look elsewhere there are many better options available for that will pay you more and have a better leader who knows what they are doing. If you absolutely need a job then try to be anywhere but the IT department. The antiquated processes and systems being used are years behind the curve and you will be stifled for growth unless you become just a "yes" man or woman. Cross the CITO king and you might end up beheaded like most of the employees who have been removed for questionable reasoning

Advice to Management

If you are a quality CEO then you need to get in touch with the things happening around you. The CITO is firing or letting go quality employees with years of job knowledge for his own petty anger and lack of leadership. A company can only grow when you challenge the status quo, however if employees are afraid to say anything for fear of retaliation then what's the point of having employees in the first place? Do it yourself if you think you are always right and are such a special business model

Toastmasters International2019-03-28

"Exceptionally Toxic"

I worked at Toastmasters International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The non-management coworkers are some of the nicest, most dedicated, and hard-working people I know. Very diverse, all people from all walks of life are welcome. Membership to Toastmasters clubs is covered by the company and is a really, really good perk.

Cons

The management here is very toxic. The focus from them is finding out WHO did something wrong, and not about figuring out the problem in a productive way so that it can be avoided in the future. Experts and developers are never consulted in the deadlines for projects, so unrealistic deadlines are frequently made, and then the programmers and project management are blamed if there are issues. There is also a lot of fear of direct communication. If someone in management has something to say, they will typically go through a proxy. I've even been gaslit a few times due to this behavioral pattern. If you are a woman, then you typically get slotted into a "problem" category in their minds if you are outspoken or willing to fight to do the right thing. This environment is also very alienating, where you are constantly unsure where you stand in the grand scheme of things. Resource management is also a huge issue, where entire teams will be given nothing to do, have their suggestions and improvements fought over endlessly in behind the door politics and fear. Appearing to be doing work is more valued than actually getting any work done. If you have depression, STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS. Due to the pressure, blame, and general toxicity, I attempted to take my life. It was dumb, but no work environment should ever leave someone feeling so broken that suicide seems like the only way out.

Advice to Management

Self-improvement does not make one better than others, nor does it give a more legitimate point of view.

Toastmasters International2019-03-27

"Not a great experience - - start to finish"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at Toastmasters International full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are passionate about the communication and leaderships skills delivered World-Wide. Changing people's lives

Cons

IT Org is the Achilles Heel - - extreme turnover - - local hires lasting 4-6 mos. tops. Constantly changes direction and job roles week-to-week, An insane and toxic environment. There is a culture of fear, retaliation, lack of accountability, and distrust that HR turns a blind eye to, and excuses.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the IT Org, and provide professional assistance and counselling to survivors.

Toastmasters International2019-03-19