Tobi Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Kenneth Chan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Tobi supports a good work life balance and appreciate a lot of people commute so they are flexible (in 11 reviews)

• You can bring your dog, I think (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth unless someone is fired from job (in 8 reviews)

• There is no room for promotions within the company as they tend to outsource their leadership positions from former Forever21 executives vs (in 7 reviews)

1. "Exciting experience"

I worked at Tobi full-time

Pros

There is great innovative leadership!

Cons

Not as organized as I would have liked

"ITS NOT WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide a parking lot

Cons

This is not a company I recommend. Wage is low, there is no structure, management is not qualified at all and there is absolutely no growth opportunities. The turnover is extremely high. Reviews … are strange, management gives every possible excuse to not give you a raise or to why your raise is so small. Some people have never even gotten reviews. Do not fall for the “there is so much room for growth” during interviews. If you get a call right away expect a low offer.

Advice to Management

Stop calling this company a start up, its not
    Stop being cheap
    Stop blaming your employees for your lack of direction
    Stop promising growth opportunities
    Stop micromanaging your employees

"Buying Department"

I have been working at Tobi full-time

Pros

Free wifi and parking. It was a quick interview/hiring process

Cons

Terrible management/leadership, low company morale, terrible compensation, cold unfriendly silent work environment, no opportunity for growth, unorganized, unwillingness to expand and grow as a company as a whole

Advice to Management

Where to begin.... This company lacks structure, leadership, positive company culture/morale. Tobi needs to treat their employees as individuals other than a corporate replacement. They are cheap and do not offer opportunity for growth. If you are interested in a silent, cold, unfriendly workplace I would work here. If not, I wouldn't.

"Assistant"

I worked at Tobi full-time

Pros

Snacks, dogs and making great friends..who usually aren't in management, of course.

Cons

This place will squeeze the life, happiness and work ethic out of you. It's like walking into a decent looking mall and finding out everything is going out of business and all the bathrooms inside don't work or is always in construction. Super fake and is all about the facade of being a hip and trendy "startup". It's been like 10 years, get real.. The CEO will always give a presentation on how the company went through it's growing pains and have succeeded from it and is now re-branding, re-constructing, re-whatever the case is. The point is, they are bad business entrepreneurs who have 0 experience in fashion and took this business on out of self indulgence. They feed you total lies and will keep feeding them to you to keep you around. Any motivational speeches given are worn out and everybody knows it. If you want to get any form of raise or decent compensation for all the hard work you do, kiss up to the president and the higher up managers. They like to feel superior and will let you join the Plastics if you wear pink on Wednesdays.

5. "A stepping stone"

I have been working at Tobi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great place to set a foundation of experience for future career

Cons

got nothing bad to say about this place

"Unless you're friends with the CEO or a higher up, you're not going to enjoy this place at all."

I have been working at Tobi full-time

Pros

- The people I work directly with are some of the most amazing people I've ever had the pleasure to know, they're the reason I still come into work every weekday week after week.

- Donuts/bagels/cereal/whatever breakfast item they decide to buy that week on Thursdays

- Every once in a while there'll be a company wide BBQ or picnic.

- There's a parking lot, while it does get overcrowded, it's free and mostly safe.

- Product discounts, if you'd ever want to actually buy their clothing

- You can bring your dog, I think.

Cons

- ZERO PTO if you are paid hourly, seriously this place is a sweatshop. Actually let me clarify. You get 24 hours paid sick leave. FOR A YEAR. And it does NOT carry over if you do not use them. Yes. You get 3 paid sick day, the legal minimum, which is an absolute joke. You basically get punished if you get sick more than 3 days out of the year or if you want to take a vacation since you're overworking yourself just to stay afloat. Meanwhile the CEO and his wife will take multiple weeks long vacations a year.

- Unless you're friends with the CEO (or if he ever decides to actually learn your name), his wife, or someone else in upper management, you will not get promoted or get a competitive salary.

- No receptionist in the main office, any model, delivery driver, potential employee that shows up has to stand at the door awkwardly until someone walking by notices them and might go and open the door for them.

- The company has no clear vision, no creativity, and copies NastyGal as much as it can, and when they're not copying NastyGal, they're copying Forever 21, Revolver, etc. One higher up has a very skewed idea of what 'overweight' is when a size zero model is 'too fat'. Everybody higher up tends to change their minds overnight or in an instant. One person who left the company and lives in another country still emails in and barks orders at some of us when she should have zero incentive or authority over anybody anymore.

- There's seriously no advertising that I know of, and we were informed that they would START using SEOs about a year ago, you know 8 years into the company's existance. And if you search for dresses on Google, you have to click through a million pages to even find Tobi. 95% of people I've told about Tobi have never heard of it. I didn't know it existed before applying.

- One day I went to the bathroom and there was a Gatorade bottle with a hole punctured in the lid, and someone wrote 'hand soap' on the side of it. Everything about the bathrooms is awful, from people sitting on the toilets for 30 minutes at a time to avoid work, constantly being out of toilet paper, hand soap, or paper towels, to people honest to god just breaking the toilet seat somehow. Everything is always super dirty, and one day instead of changing the light fixture, they brought out a cheap IKEA lamp and just put it right next to the sink where the cord could've easily gotten wet.

- Have I mentioned the lack of culture? There have been parties thrown upstairs by the CEO and some higher ups that are some of the most miserably awkward experiences of my time being here, with basically everybody seeming like they just wanted to get back to work. There used to be a 'fun committee', but it got absolved some point a year and a half ago and I'm pretty sure 95% of the people on the committee left the company for good reason.

Advice to Management

You are NOT a startup anymore, you've been around almost ten years, and that's not an excuse to underpay and under-appreciate the people who put in the highest amount of effort they put in. You should perhaps focus less on hiring and promoting friends and family and focus on the people who have stuck it out for so long and actually care about getting great work done and make them feel more appreciated than giving them a balloon and the equivalent of a $25 Amazon gift card. Perhaps look into ways to make newer employees feel more welcome and want to stick around more than a few months or even a few weeks.

Also maybe read your Glassdoor reviews since you push people to write them after 90 days. Maybe realize what people really think of the company and if you gave any care at all, change things up a bit. Make it to where your employees can grow, decide between making your wife happy and making your company thrive, create better perks packages for employees that do a great job and actually care enough to show up everyday, or maybe give us some PTO for Christ's sake.

7. "Wonderful company to work for, interesting atmosphere"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Tobi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Leadership really listen to the employees
    - Embracing cutting edge tech
    - Dual engineering office locations for commuters
    - Product discounts

Cons

- Strange atmosphere, with the engineering & marketing right in the same building as the actual warehouse.

8. "Stylist (Customer Care)"

Pros

I worked with the company for over a year. Mostly everyone is super friendly and always willing to help if you have any questions. The work environment is very relaxed and the company is pretty accommodating with requesting days off, which is a plus.

Cons

Not much room to grow within the company.

Advice to Management

Encourage other departments to get to know each other so it's a more friendly work environment.

"A learning place"

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tobi (More than a year)

Pros

-big clean office with kitchen, refrigerators and starbucks coffee machine
    -coworkers
    -pretty structured processes
    -steady work
    -work/life balance: low stress, depending on who your manager is
    -good start when you have minimal experience

Cons

-low pay
    -no room for growth
    -all your favorite, most talented coworkers will leave pretty soon
    -poor communication from managers
    -managers can't figure out how to implement processes or how to create efficient ones
    -steady stream of criticism but low praise
    -the big clean office looks really empty
    -demotions, pay cuts, steady lay offs every year
    -managers look down on you taking your PTO or using sick days

Advice to Management

Discouraging employees from venting to their coworkers makes sense in theory, but is in really bad taste.
    Squeezing work out of your employees makes sense too, but give them something to look forward to like a plan for responsibilities and new roles and then check in on them (so like, be an actual manager?). Handing out promises for promotion are empty and make us lose faith in you.

10. "Get what you put in"

I have been working at Tobi full-time

Pros

Flexible, open, start-up like environment. If you're a self-starter and like having freedom in your work then this is a good place for you.

Cons

Pretty unprofessional, high turnover rate, low pay, etc. As long as you don't come in with high expectations you'll be fine.