Toffler Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Toffler Associates Managing Director Deborah Westphal
Deborah Westphal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Strong culture"

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent focus on learning and development

Cons

Need to diversify client base

"Could be great but refuses to change and let go of the past"

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

Great people for the most part and a passion for learning and doing interesting work - recognizable legacy and a stated desire to be a great place to work

Cons

CEO continues to rule by emotion and chaos and refuses to accept that the market has changed - results in employee fear of being berated and constant uncertainty when engaging with CEO - lack of consistent focus prevents any real strategy from ever being developed let alone implemented - CEO refuses to listen and let others step up and lead the firm and continues to operate the firm based on her feelings, biases, and ideas - CEO uses examples from over a decade ago to cite her vision for the firm - no grasp on market or reality

Advice to Management

Time for a transition or more employees will be hitting the streets as they already are

""Methodical Madness""

Former Employee - Associate in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Reston, VA

I worked at Toffler Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some good people who wanted to do the right thing.

Cons

If you go back to the earliest reviews you hear this reccuring theme of a "new and improved team" but it is nothing more than an illusion that quickly returns to the reality of that this place is a nightmare. Please do not be fooled buy the statements below from previous insiders that are only trying to use whatever tactics they can to hind the severely dysfunctional this organization is and will always be.

1. We’ve gone through some tough change, everyone who put in the hard work has gone through significant learning and self-reflection.

2. Sometimes being a Type-A means you have to take a pill of humility.

3. As a firm we were slow to learn that, but the significant change over the last year has clearly improved the firm.

There has been no self reflection, no changes and certainly no pills of humility taken. The only thing you can count on is the constant purge of anyone who presents a new opinion or any opinion that does not comply with the leadership team. They are all extensions of the Managing Director Deb Westphal. They continue to hind their own incompetence and and shame behind a facade of yearly purges and false claims of a new organization. Please read between the lines and don't let yourself be duped by lies and false innuendo.

Advice to Management

Please stop publishing deceptive reviews to hind your own self inflicted wounds. You have only yourselves to blame for your current standing. If you want to really change start at the top where the problem begins and ends.

"A Stain on the Toffler Legacy"

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have convinced some very smart people to work here.

Cons

Poor reputation in industry, limited capabilities, toxic culture, no diversity in current contracts or customers, no commercial work, ineffective and unseasoned leadership, no career path, long hours.

Consultants spend hours Google searching for other people's ideas and then repackage it as their own. Just read any of the current blogs for great examples.

This is a business built on selling BS to clients. Many good people have left once they saw through the facade. The leadership begins training new hires to lie by telling them to respond "less than a year" to questions of how long hey have been with the firm.

Many of the ideas and concepts that they continue to push are very quaint and novel. These ideas are filled with platitudes and sophistry that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Many people in this company are very good at presenting a false facade of knowledge. They act as if they have some brilliant insight into the future and they can see clearly what needs to be done. When challenged on an issue they deflect (usually by asking a question) and never answer your question clearly or coherently.

The leadership is very good at hiding the true nature of the firm. It takes time to realize what this company really is about. It's clear that the leadership has made a concerted effort on glassdoor to write positive reviews to hide the current state of the company culture. They would rather write positive reviews than fix the underlying issues that lead to authentic positive reviews.

Your professional reputation is at stake if you work here longer than 3 years.

Advice to Management

Quit masquerading around as a commercial consulting firm when you have no commercial work. Embrace who you really are; you are a government contracting company that provides butts-in-seats at the lowest cost. Get rid of the leadership team and anybody that has been there longer than a few years.

"Great place to learn, grow, and thrive if it's a fit"

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Toffler Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having come to Toffler from a Big 4 consulting firm, I found the differences between the two to be rather significant, albeit in a generally positive manner. Moreover, having been at the firm during a time of fairly significant personnel transitions followed immediately by massive growth, I believe I got to see both sides of the company; the good and the bad.

For the positive. I came to Toffler looking for a place to learn and advance beyond the temporal-based limitations of a big firm, to apply my skills in novel situations, and to basically learn how to operate a business. As it is a small company, I discovered quite quickly that not only could I learn everything I wanted, but that application of those techniques and skills was essentially mandatory to successfully fulfill client needs and firm requirements such as program development and management, business development, etc.

On-the-job training was the primary method by which one learns the Toffler methodologies, gains an understanding of expectations, and becomes integrated into teams. Although I enjoyed that environment, I could see it not being ideal for others who need or like a more customized, more accommodating approach, such as those provided by the larger consulting firms.

One of the great things about the company was that they were very willing and very supportive of their employees reaching out to almost anyone in any field of work anywhere on the planet. One of Toffler's big differentiating characteristics is that they purposely seek to incorporate global SME input for nearly every project and Toffler employees can generally get these interviews, even with powerful people, because of the Toffler name and legacy. The interview process was always fun. It was a time to think about marketplace, regional, global, or local connections between disparate ideas and bounce those ideas off of renowned business leaders, scientists, politicians, etc. I ultimately met or spoke with dozens of people about topics ranging from the impact of the incorporation of robotics into human sexuality on society/business all the way to fractionated satellite network concepts and the potential to exploit such concepts into terrestrial-based communication systems.

This is not to say that everything I did was me sitting around imagining the future, far from it. Most of the work I did would fall under standard strategic consulting, whether it be on the pure BD side (going out to dinner with potential clients, going to conferences, etc.), to leading, planning, and writing RFI and RFQ responses, to developing tech-based solutions for unique client questions, to developing partnerships with other companies, and all the way back down to simple project or workstream leadership and weekly planning. Some of it was boring and mundane, some of it frustrating, but for the most part, it either came with the territory or was something unique.

As for the people, throughout the significant change I experienced while at the company, I think something like 50% or more of the employees departed for one reason or another, particularly during the 'rebuilding phase' as I like to call it. What I found through this was that those who remained were incredibly resilient. With the smaller, more focused group of people, we rebuilt the company. We more than doubled our revenue, hired more than a dozen people, and fundamentally changed the way the company operated. It was a breath of fresh air. I can't pinpoint what the exact tipping point was, but when it happened, it was palpable. Everyone worked together for the company and a lot of the infighting I've seen referenced in historical reviews basically ceased to exist. It actually become a really awesome place to work. To top that off, the foundation of the company was more or less destroyed and rebuilt on purpose. With the new growth and largely new team, we created new values as a team, we focused a lot of energy on cultural development, and made the use of our mentorship program (Closest Colleagues) to an extent never done so in the firm's history. The company and its leadership devoted a phenomenal amount of resources to make the company a better place and I think it really showed.

Within the Toffler vernacular there is a particular phrase that basically comes across as "you will learn 10 years' worth of business/leadership/consulting in 3 years." I believe this is very true and absolutely possible, but it does come with the requirement that such education is not simply provided. You must reach out and grab it. Toffler as a company might let some people sit idly by for a little while, but those who do simply idle have tended to fall by the wayside on their own accord. Toffler is a place for people who want to learn, who want to grow, who want to make their small bit of the world better, and most important, who want to work with and among others who share those same ideals. Sadly, I'm moving and cannot stay with the company as long as I had hoped, but can say without a doubt, it was the best growth experience I've had.

Cons

I'm not one to air dirty laundry and will not do so here, as any personal issues I may have with any other employee are simply personal and will remain so. Such relationship issues occur everywhere, whether that be at Toffler, my former employer, or my future employers. Do not come into this place thinking everything will be perfect.

From a purely corporate standpoint, I believe the issues experienced during the rapid rebuilding phase and growth phase are by and large resolved. I think the biggest problem, which is in the midst of being resolved, was the initial lack of any formalized training.

Advice to Management

Keep a focus on strategic growth; balance the portfolio; and continue to hire great people who want to grow and want to make their little piece of the world just a little better.

"Successful Turnaround and Bright Future"

Pros

Diverse thinking, teammates, and approaches to challenging problems
    Best team I have been a part of
    Unbelievable benefits package
    Opportunity to push the envelope and develop creative solutions
    Chance to learn at a more rapid pace, sometimes challenging, than other traditional consulting firms
    Strong history and legacy

Cons

The company went through a relatively substantial turnaround, which creates a ton of friction and results in a lot of change and departures. Combine that with rapid growth and there are a lot of very fast moving parts, and well intentioned or not, mistakes will be made. The team we have now is fantastic, and a direct result of the leadership team pushing through the turnaround for the past couple of years.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on pushing the firm to grow the right way, retain what makes us special, and continue to resist the urge to emulate the defense contractors and system integrators. Keep us focused on being who we are…great 

"There is method to the madness: the future is very bright"

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

Turnarounds are challenging experiences – for both the company and employees. It is something we preach to our own clients. Our firm leadership did not pretend we were immune to these challenges from the beginning, consistently stressing that it could get "uncomfortable." As we near the end of this process, we are in a much stronger position than just 18 months ago. We have employee owned, driven, and defined corporate values that prescribe action and go beyond the boilerplate "integrity and respect.” We have a diverse and vibrant workforce who enjoys each other’s company. We have stimulating client engagements with opportunities for growth that just did not exist one year ago, period. The firm pivoted, and optimism for the future is high.

To summarize, I enjoy my colleagues and my time at Toffler. We get competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a work-life balance that is truly exceptional.

Cons

As I mentioned, we are in a turnaround and that comes with some friction and resistance. Leadership needs to keep driving this point home, transparently communicating our envisioned end-state, how we will get there, and continuing to provide opportunities for employees to achieve these goals.

Advice to Management

We tell our clients to always remember the people. Keep practicing what you preach: our people are Toffler Associates’ best assets, and I am proud and humbled to be surrounded by talented, smart, and, simply put, good people.

"Results of a Restructure – it’s hard but worth it"

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

Our company values – the new and improved team has embraced our values that highlight our culture. The people writing reviews left so long ago they have no idea the corporate changes we have made within the last year and seem to hold a grudge for losing out on an amazing opportunity.
    I enjoy spending time with my colleagues, and sometimes that means working hard or long hours to solve problems. Many that are posting (we know our employees and colleagues well enough to recognize the posts) did not share that common goal – they would pass off work to anyone they could and talked about conceptual ideas – not the Jedi knights they thought they were.
    We finally shed the dead weight (employees) over the last couple years where people 1) felt entitled to great benefits without putting forth the effort to earn them, 2) thought a financial goal without a plan was good business, 3) were cancers and spread rumors within the company, 4) did not know how to manage and earn revenue, 5) did not live our values, 6) thought the more they opened their mouth the more they were achieving.

Cons

We’ve gone through some tough change, everyone who put in the hard work has gone through significant learning and self-reflection. Sometimes being a Type-A means you have to take a pill of humility. As a firm we were slow to learn that, but the significant change over the last year has clearly improved the firm.

Advice to Management

Keep learning – you’re not perfect, neither is any other leader in any other firm. You have a great team behind you that fully believes in who we are as a firm.

"Ignore the tirades of indignant reviewers"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

I've been with Toffler Associates for about year and have found a truly enjoyable workplace. I have satisfaction and enjoyment in the clients I support and look forward to helping them work through their challenges. This is the first time in my career where I'm genuinely challenged to think and develop perspectives that are not in lockstep with traditional linear thinking organizations I've been in previously. Most consultants here support a variety of clients, are afforded opportunities to learn and experience business development, and take part of internal efforts to better the firm's development. We have great teammates, look out for one another, and do our best to have a good time while at work. The firm has a great culture that promotes fun and fosters team building.

Miscellaneous pros: very competitive salary, top notch benefits and perks, and flexible work schedules/locations.

Cons

There are always trade offs in life. Many of the opportunities to learn and grow that I've mentioned come at the cost of time. We are a small firm and we can not simply afford to dedicate resources while neglecting client support. Because of this, I do tend to work a lot of hours, but again that is my choice for wanting to be apart of various activities and not a mandatory requirement.

Miscellaneous cons: geographically dispersed workforce, challenges the come along with being a small firm

Advice to Management

Continue working to formalize our business processes and growing the firm. Be mindful of the cultural implications that come along with expansion.

"Great and Growing Company"

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

Innovative and dynamic company with some remarkably smart consultants and partners.
    Interesting and challenging work and opportunities for diverse engagements.
    Fresh ideas from a diverse workforce
    Currently in the midst of fabulous growth with an exceptionally positive outlook for continued success.

Cons

It is a small businesses, and not everyone is built for that. This is fine, but understand what comes with a small business.

Those expecting the infrastructure that comes with a large firm such as Deloitte will be in for a shock. Expect to work some long hours, learn a ton, and have the ability to gain exposure to the inner workings of a company, and the ability to make real contributions to the future of the firm. Just have the understanding that it comes at the cost of time. You still will have a day job, but the opportunities will exist.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the basics as we continue to scale.
    Continue to ensure we are hiring the right folks and focused on the culture and values above all else