Toffler Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Toffler Associates Managing Director Deborah Westphal
Deborah Westphal

"Successful Turnaround and Bright Future"

Pros

Diverse thinking, teammates, and approaches to challenging problems
    Best team I have been a part of
    Unbelievable benefits package
    Opportunity to push the envelope and develop creative solutions
    Chance to learn at a more rapid pace, sometimes challenging, than other traditional consulting firms
    Strong history and legacy

Cons

The company went through a relatively substantial turnaround, which creates a ton of friction and results in a lot of change and departures. Combine that with rapid growth and there are a lot of very fast moving parts, and well intentioned or not, mistakes will be made. The team we have now is fantastic, and a direct result of the leadership team pushing through the turnaround for the past couple of years.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on pushing the firm to grow the right way, retain what makes us special, and continue to resist the urge to emulate the defense contractors and system integrators. Keep us focused on being who we are…great 

"There is method to the madness: the future is very bright"

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

Turnarounds are challenging experiences – for both the company and employees. It is something we preach to our own clients. Our firm leadership did not pretend we were immune to these challenges from the beginning, consistently stressing that it could get "uncomfortable." As we near the end of this process, we are in a much stronger position than just 18 months ago. We have employee owned, driven, and defined corporate values that prescribe action and go beyond the boilerplate "integrity and respect.” We have a diverse and vibrant workforce who enjoys each other’s company. We have stimulating client engagements with opportunities for growth that just did not exist one year ago, period. The firm pivoted, and optimism for the future is high.

To summarize, I enjoy my colleagues and my time at Toffler. We get competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a work-life balance that is truly exceptional.

Cons

As I mentioned, we are in a turnaround and that comes with some friction and resistance. Leadership needs to keep driving this point home, transparently communicating our envisioned end-state, how we will get there, and continuing to provide opportunities for employees to achieve these goals.

Advice to Management

We tell our clients to always remember the people. Keep practicing what you preach: our people are Toffler Associates’ best assets, and I am proud and humbled to be surrounded by talented, smart, and, simply put, good people.

"Ignore the tirades of indignant reviewers"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

I've been with Toffler Associates for about year and have found a truly enjoyable workplace. I have satisfaction and enjoyment in the clients I support and look forward to helping them work through their challenges. This is the first time in my career where I'm genuinely challenged to think and develop perspectives that are not in lockstep with traditional linear thinking organizations I've been in previously. Most consultants here support a variety of clients, are afforded opportunities to learn and experience business development, and take part of internal efforts to better the firm's development. We have great teammates, look out for one another, and do our best to have a good time while at work. The firm has a great culture that promotes fun and fosters team building.

Miscellaneous pros: very competitive salary, top notch benefits and perks, and flexible work schedules/locations.

Cons

There are always trade offs in life. Many of the opportunities to learn and grow that I've mentioned come at the cost of time. We are a small firm and we can not simply afford to dedicate resources while neglecting client support. Because of this, I do tend to work a lot of hours, but again that is my choice for wanting to be apart of various activities and not a mandatory requirement.

Miscellaneous cons: geographically dispersed workforce, challenges the come along with being a small firm

Advice to Management

Continue working to formalize our business processes and growing the firm. Be mindful of the cultural implications that come along with expansion.

"Great and Growing Company"

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time

Pros

Innovative and dynamic company with some remarkably smart consultants and partners.
    Interesting and challenging work and opportunities for diverse engagements.
    Fresh ideas from a diverse workforce
    Currently in the midst of fabulous growth with an exceptionally positive outlook for continued success.

Cons

It is a small businesses, and not everyone is built for that. This is fine, but understand what comes with a small business.

Those expecting the infrastructure that comes with a large firm such as Deloitte will be in for a shock. Expect to work some long hours, learn a ton, and have the ability to gain exposure to the inner workings of a company, and the ability to make real contributions to the future of the firm. Just have the understanding that it comes at the cost of time. You still will have a day job, but the opportunities will exist.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the basics as we continue to scale.
    Continue to ensure we are hiring the right folks and focused on the culture and values above all else

"Smart leadership and vision for company growth"

Current Employee - Operations Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Toffler Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Due to smart decision making and management, Toffler Associates has been able to steer through the negative impact of the economic downturn and defense budget cuts while capitalizing on opportunities in the commercial space, helping to create a stronger, more diversified company portfolio, allowing strong growth projection for the company's future.

*Fantastic learning environment

*Some of the best, most detail-oriented strategy consultants with an unmatched creativity that enables business leaders make the changes necessary to succeed in their operating environment

*inspiring and fun place to work

Cons

In tough times, difficult decisions need to be made. Business is business.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing

"This is one of the most intellectually challenging and rewarding positions I have ever held."

Pros

Great opportunity to work on really important issues affecting the world. Very interesting, diverse and professional people. Legacy from world-reknowned founders Alvin and Heidi Toffler is a unique differentiator. The firm is future-focused, but backcasts to the present to create a realistic roadmap to success in a world of accelerating change.

Cons

Flat organization blurs roles and responsibilities, but you are encouraged to assume leadership stance. Virtual nature may be challenging to some, although there is a physical office that is used as a gathering point for colleagues and clients. Firm, centralized control limits decision-making authority.

Advice to Management

More defined direction and strategy is exciting to be a part of, as it has the potential to create a really unique professional experience. Would encourage constant communications to align colleagues with the vision.