Tokio Marine HCC Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.7
Tokio Marine HCC CEO Susan Rivera (no image)
Susan Rivera
Pros
  • "The company makes its best effort to provide a stable environment and good benefits for all(in 12 reviews)

• "Excellent leadership, great growth opportunities, work/life balance(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I would like to see a formal work from home program(in 9 reviews)

• "Static career with no room for growth(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Terrific place to work

Jul 13, 2020 - Product Manager in Encino, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The IT/Dev team provides a supportive environment that provides plenty of training and guidance, yet allows you to contribute in meaningful ways and take the initiative to lead. A friendly team with interesting work.

Cons

Can sometimes be hard to discern priorities, but that is fairly common across the industry.

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

People ask me why I like working for Tokio Marine HCC

Mar 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compared to previous companies I've worked at, I've found TMHCC to be a truly collaborative environment, where efforts are made to always make things better. Regardless of whether it's workflows, communication, business relationships, systems, benefits, etc., there's a strong spirit of exploration, innovation, commitment and collaboration with each other.

Cons

Continuous emphasis to be better - but I don't know how that's necessarily a bad thing.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Avoid after acquisition.

Apr 15, 2021 - Claims Examiner
      Business Outlook

Pros

The only pro is the temporary work from home, which was only available due to the pandemic. All other pros of this company were sold with the acquisition.

Cons

The management team is completely inefficient. Turnover is astronomical and the work takes a long time learn, so your mountain will just grow ever higher. Management will tell you it is okay to drown, you won't get in trouble, just ask for help. No help will be given, you will get in trouble, and you will just continue to acquire work from the people lucky enough to leave for greener pastures. Favoritism abounds in this company - do not expect fair or equal treatment. If the director likes you, you will be given all sorts of perks. If the director does not like you, you will float along a river of massive work and never be promoted or rewarded fairly.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0

Good company

Apr 21, 2021 - Other
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kind, family-oriented people Flexible and great work-life balance

Cons

run finances very tight & slow to technological change

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Save yourself! Save your mental, emotional, and physical health

Apr 15, 2021 - Internal Auditor in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the people throughout Corporate and the company are great to work with. Nice charity support. Interesting company/product offerings.

Cons

Management will micromanage all you do and insist you prioritize work over personal obligations. They have no empathy and are demeaning, degrading, and disrespectful. They pressure you until you just don’t care anymore. Few opportunities for advancement. Not family or working mom friendly. They have lost many GREAT employees due to mistreatment during the pandemic. Top talent gone! This is pervasive in many departments.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0

Good place to work

Apr 9, 2021 - Insurance Advisor in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is great and pay is fair.

Cons

Lots of changes which is causing confusion for employees.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee

The most challenging in my career, but not in a good way.

May 5, 2021 - Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

None that could me to mind

Cons

Hostile work environment and poor local management. Leadership professes excellent field leadership which is far from the truth.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Flexible - 60% Work From Home - Easy

Apr 6, 2021 - Medical Underwriting Assistant in Minnetonka, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, Autonomous, Benefits, Overtime, Growth Focused

Cons

Hourly, Corporate, Sr. Management Differences

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing Company

Feb 19, 2021 - Associate Business Systems Analyst in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is very friendly. Nobody high up in the company is too out of reach. There are many days that I find myself working with C suite executives. Very rewarding work with extremely high visibility. Also, you get overtime pay!

Cons

Sometimes if you are juggling many technical projects you can find yourself working longer hours, but management heavily encourages work life balance. When you do work long hours you are compensated extra for anything over 40 hours (at an increased pay rate)

10. 5.0

Great company

Nov 2, 2020 - Intern in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

In my experience with TMHCC, they have entrusted me with many opportunities for learning and growth. I feel like it's possible to move up within this organization. As long as you are willing to put in the work, the sky is the limit. Social awareness and sensitivity is always something I look for in any company I work for, and especially in the social climate we're in right now, it's more important than ever. I've been very impressed by the measures TMHCC has taken to address any inequities that exist and fix them. This company doesn't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. For the first time I've seen every employee as a whole exhibit genuine concern and a commitment to become educated and take action. It's a refreshing change from other companies that distribute some generic compliance training and call it a day. The work environment here is pretty laid back. I feel motivated and encouraged to work rather than pressured and stressed. Overall, my experience here has been great, and I can't recommend TMHCC enough.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 145 Reviews