Tokyo Electron Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Terry Higashi

1. "You should seriously consider this company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tokyo Electron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, solid leadership, strong teamwork and a company that is truly committed to the customer.

Cons

Can't think of any justification for wh you would look at other companies in the semiconductor marketplace besides TEL.

2. "Review of TEL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Profitable business, Nice people, Seem to be more dedicated to employees than other companies.

Cons

Management skills, technical skills, culture, etc vary greatly between divisions. If you're looking at TEL, focus on the division you are interested in.

3. "FSE review"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Tokyo Electron full-time

Pros

The organization understands strategy in positioning itself for the future in the semi conductor industry. Management is not overbearing. Benefits are on part if not better than most major organizations.

Cons

The potential for changing shift times and the possible loss of work due to contract.

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Tokyo Electron (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed TEL. Good benefits.

Cons

Started as a contractor for 1 year.

5. "Process Engineer"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Albany, NY

I have been working at Tokyo Electron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good. Very stable position. There is quite a bit of freedom of thought to solve the complex problems we work on.

Cons

Work hours are long and often weekend work is necessary. Overall culture is poor in that we do not do enough team building activities. I would rather us take our bonuses and make the work place exciting. More or less, our culture is all work and no play...

Advice to Management

Please, provide clear direction and help to give meaning to our work. Work to connect with employees on personal levels. Clearly communicate our mission statement.

"Tel FSI was a great place to work at"

Former Employee - Technician in Chaska, MN
    Former Employee - Technician in Chaska, MN

I worked at Tokyo Electron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. They were like family and looked out for each other. Missed them more everyday allot.

Cons

Some managers were awfull. All they cared for is whether or not they looked good to their boss. Did not care about their employees at all.

Advice to Management

Consider looking st all managers and whether or not they know what they are doing. Currently there is at least one that has no clue what his staff does daily.

"Terrible company to work for look elsewhere."

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Tokyo Electron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unfortunately the pros don't outweigh the cons here, nevertheless there are some really nice people that work at Tokyo Electron aregrettably thats all I have to say about the pros.

Cons

The company has many problems starting with the management.
    No trade secrets here just the facts. The equipment manufactured is built of poor quality and is labor intensive. The Field service team has their hands full. The tech support group is totally dysfunctional and disillusioned. The way I remember how it used to work from years ago is the tech-support group would help the field service group solve problems. This is not the case at Tokyo Electron the tech-support group rather criticizes and places blame on the field service group when there are problems with the equipment that require tech support assistance. The work environment becomes very adversarial.
    The issues or problems get escalated to the managers of both groups making the work environment worse. The mangers don't know enough about the equipment to handle or resolve the issues. The issue's are with the equipment not the employees.
    The managers at Tokyo Electron have waged war on the employees. One of the mangers was quoted saying "I'm really a nice guy." Really? you have to tell someone this?

Advice to Management

I wouldn't waste time here the management at Tokyo Electrin don't listen, nevertheless the only advise I would like to give is stop acting like bullies, the people left are tired of how you are treating them, and they're scared for their jobs. This is the work environment that you the managers have created, it's sad to say.

8. "Field Service Supervisor"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tokyo Electron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company interesting tools to work on. Lots of locations and if you want to travel you have the opportunity.

Cons

Took away the company car and if your customer down sizes your contract you may have to move. Wearing the clean-room suit.

"Started as a good company. Went downhill through bad management."

Former Employee - FSE in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - FSE in Boise, ID

I worked at Tokyo Electron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Technically advanced systems and technology.

Cons

Management. Through lack of understanding and being bullied into submission by Tokyo, management does not handle employee relations well. Boise has gone by he wayside by being out in the frontier. Austin HQ has pushed the Boise office off to the side and let the local managment use nepotism to fill its ranks with people that are less than techinically sound, but will say yes when asked. Safety is not the primary concern. When a another company had a system explode, we were informd that that is the way the industry operates, and we will just have to suck it up. They waited ever a year to publish an OSHA report, and by then most employees that were involved were no longer employed. Training is hit or miss, and is not given over need. It is given per relationship to the supervisor. Again, nepotism. I worked there 10 years and the system never changed. They have now been bought out by Applied Materials, a company that most of the FSE group left because of their employee/management policies. HR is more concerned with getting out of work before 2 PM on Friday than anything else. They have 10 managers and 2 workers. How can that be? Managers manage people. This is backwards at best! This HR group could be mepanaged by 2 people. One for HR and one for benefits.

Advice to Management

Replace middle managmenet in most US locations. They have no way for upward mobility and will fill the ranks with friends and relatives as a result. Replace your training methods. The mechanics that work on your sports cars have better training and are higher paid. Reduce HR to 2 people. Lack of interest in employees is well served by 2 people.

10. "Interesting Technology"

Current Employee - Test Technician II in Chaska, MN
    Current Employee - Test Technician II in Chaska, MN

I have been working at Tokyo Electron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with such a variety of technology in one machine. Four day 10 hour work week. The best benefits package in the semiconductor tool industry. Semiautonomous work environment yielding a feeling of ownership of the quality of the produced machine. Plenty of stressful, must work operations with the resulting pleasure of accomplishment. Never ending learning.

Cons

In the middle of a great restructuring.

Advice to Management

Continue to standardize the machine layout.