Toll Brothers Reviews | Glassdoor

Toll Brothers Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • A lot of professional development tools, good benefits, decent pay (in 11 reviews)

• Great place to work and great people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The disconnect of upper management with the folks working on the ground (in 14 reviews)

• No work life balance, due to no weekends off other than summer program (in 6 reviews)

"Project administrater"

Former Employee - Project Administrator in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in Horsham, PA

I worked at Toll Brothers (More than a year)

Pros

Toll Brothers is an extremely organized company and follows guidelines.

Cons

Toll Brothers is a large company that has a large revenue. I don't see growth financially for employees. There needs to be higher pay and more raises

Advice to Management

Promote more from within company and pay higher wages.

"Great Job, But No Weekends OFF"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Toll Brothers (More than a year)

Pros

Great income potential if you are ready to sacrifice everything for your job.

Cons

No weekends off, very corporate, If you are a woman, you can only go so far in the company.

3. "Solid company, good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

Pros

Solid company with a strong culture

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Capable executive level management.
    Strong company balance sheet.
    Better than average compensation with excellent benefits.

Cons

Toll Brothers has a traditional corporate culture that among other things is hierarchical and seemingly outdated. The N.E. Division leadership is weak and disconnected and has created the perception among their employees that they are only concerned with meeting their numbers. Training is "on the job" which one would expect to a degree but for a company with such strict procedures and proven methods, seems like a very inefficient way of preparing their employees for success. The division's project managers are micromanaged to the extend that they have taken away most of the PM's ability or desire to make a meaningful decision or think outside the Toll Bros box. Turnover is rampant while the hiring of replacements is painfully slow and in some cases never happens. Employees are shuffled around and the cycle continues as the remaining players assume the workload from those who have left and quickly become overwhelmed, overburdened and disillusioned to the point of leaving the company. The employees with the longest tenures are often the most disgruntled and disaffected and feel entitled to complain openly in front of their fellow employees creating a toxic work environment for all. This attitude permeates through to some employees' attitudes towards homeowners and in some communities has resulted in contentious relationships between Toll Brothers and HOAs.

Advice to Management

There is more to success in homebuilding (ie: building a relationship with your customers, earning their respect and confidence, guiding them through a sometimes long, arduous and stressful process) than any amount of audits, project reviews, weekly meetings, surveys, inspections, reporting, checklists or seminars can deliver. The Project Manager's time is consumed by these things which doesn't afford them the opportunity for other roles, roles whose importance and impact cannot be easily measured (ie: building relationships with customers and prospective buyers, ensuring a positive customer experience from beginning to end, mentoring and developing the members of your team).

6. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Toll Brothers (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Pay is lower than other builders, expect you to work on days off.

7. "Marketing Coordinator"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training and passionate people. Leadership seems to really listen to employees and take their opinions to heart. Executive leadership is some of the best in the business.

Cons

Lots of layers of management. Very corporate environment with hoops to jump through to get anything done.

Advice to Management

I think the company is great and I would recommend someone to work there, but a reduction in some of the corporate hand tying would be really helpful.

8. "Best employer I've worked for"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Always looking out for the employee. Good benefits. welfare of the employee seems to come first

Cons

There are no Cons that are currently notable

"Assistant Project Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Toll Brothers (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic, and challenging. A lot of professional development tools, good benefits, decent pay.

Cons

Upward mobility not based on merit or tenure.

Advice to Management

Buy more land

"Too many hours"

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional company with dedicated employees working as a team. Compensation is good as are the benefits. Many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

They are very demanding and work you very, very hard. You are expected to fall in line as if you are in the army.

Advice to Management

They are hugely successful so I am not going to presume I know better than they.

11. "Assistant Construction Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Construction Manager in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Construction Manager in Newtown Square, PA

Pros

The construction side of the company (as opposed to the corporate) is broken up into divisions based on the location of division office. Each division is run as its own separate entity with different levels of management and construction staff which makes gives each it's own culture, general values, etc. It's important to know this because even divisions in neighboring counties can be quite different.

I was a part of the Delaware County Pa division for 2 years. I worked on a few different sites and had a the opportunity to work with a lot guys from different levels within the division. The division as a whole is a solid group of guys, most having previous trade experience. Being new to the management side of residential construction, I was never berated or made to feel stupid by anyone for making mistakes or asking questions. All the guys were approachable and willing to help however they could.

I was very happy with how much I was making. From what I've heard, Toll pays their guys well, especially if you're good, and this seems to be backed up by what I've found here on Glass Door. As an ASSISTANT Construction Manager, I was making very close to that of Construction Managers at competing companies.

Cons

I can't really think of anything that would detract me from working with this division again. I had some struggles adapting to the work, and got a lot of help and guidance from the other guys. It turned out not to be a great for me but a good experience overall.