Toll Brothers Reviews | Glassdoor

Toll Brothers Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • A lot of professional development tools, good benefits, decent pay (in 11 reviews)

• Great place to work and great people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The disconnect of upper management with the folks working on the ground (in 14 reviews)

• No work life balance, due to no weekends off other than summer program (in 6 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Service Tech in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Service Tech in San Diego, CA

I worked at Toll Brothers (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment great people and team cohesiveness a good design on home elevations and floor plans, a good quality product.

Cons

A little behind on computer software programs compared to other builders but catching up, not enough support in management for field people.

Advice to Management

Allow more flexibility for field operations of personnel, quality control needs to vastly improve to meet expectations of home buyers.

"CAD Draftsman"

Former Employee - CAD Draftsman in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - CAD Draftsman in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time

Pros

Co-workers were great. Felt good working for a Fortune 500 company. Resources fairly good and made readily available. Opportunity to transfer to Toll offices in other cities and states was a plus factor.

Cons

Turnover is too great for any continuity. Hard to establish office protocol, procedure and standards when so many people come and go.

Advice to Management

When 9/11 occurs, don't huddle everybody into the conference room and demand that they get back to work. Doesn't work for team morale!

"Solid foundation, but much room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Over the course of 40 years the company has built a reputation for putting out a quality product. In addition, the benefits package is decent and there are some nice onsite amenities in the corporate office.

Cons

Too many employees have been here for more than 20 years. While that history is good, people are too comfortable with the way things always were and there's not much in the way of innovation. In addition to ancient policies and procedures, the systems and processes have not been updated and do not reflect "best practices" in the industry.

Advice to Management

While there may be many long tenured smart folks in the management ranks, you really need to focus your attention on listening to the ideas from "fresher" employees that have recently joined the company. They bring with them a lot of knowledge about current practices and technologies.

"Project manager"

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Barrington, IL
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Barrington, IL

I worked at Toll Brothers (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing

"If you are not related, no need apply"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any. In fact, at one town hall, CEO told us to quit if we weren't happy. Well that's what I did.

Cons

If you are not related to the regional president, don't apply. Horrible work environment. At the interviews, they really try to sell you on the job. Once you are hired, there is no training and the job is nothing what they told you. They tell you that you will be under the assistant project manager training, but instead they through you in the job and tell you lie to corporate that you are doing the training program. 3 project managers quit in Orange County including me in the past 9 months. I was offered a raise when I left, which is what I heard happened to my other 2 co workers who quit. Why offer me a raise when I quit? Why wasn't I offered what I was worth a year ago? Why wait? Well this offer didn't work for me and the other 2.

Advice to Management

Job became too difficult to do. I needed multiple approvals to get anything done. In one case, one of the architecture plans I had had changed over 50 times. Get rid of the options. Buyers don't want all these options and the number of options made the job impossible to do.

"DONT DO IT!"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good to invest in, not to work at

Cons

Several project managers have left over the past few years. The company uses inefficient BuildPro to build its homes. BuildPro is a joke. The CMs who are getting low scores are doing in properly. The CMs who are getting high scores are manipulating BuildPro so that it hears what it wants. Because of this subs are paid before work is done. Subs are double paid multiple times (I'm sure we are not catching all the double payments). Regional President rewards those who ignore the corporate rules and punishes those who follow the corporate rules. A few PMs just tell their supervisors what they want to hear. Some PMs tell their supervisors the truth but they are punished. This is no way to run a business. Because the lack of a free flow of information, we miss a lot of things. Many PMs don't speak up and keep their opinions to themselves because they know upper management doesn't care what their opinion is. The work I produced got questioned so many times that it became impossible for me to do my job. I could never get anything done because my boss kept reviewing my work and making comments. Too many people involved with building homes and managing the job. Couldn't get anything done because I had to get approval from 20 different people to do anything. Also multiple changes to models and new homes after we have already built them. They say that their new design is better but homeowners who have already bought told us to leave it the way it was. But Regional and Division president told us to change it even though buyers in contract said no. We recently had a consultant evaluate the company. The company told us things would be different but two days later back to the same old crap. No work life balance. Project Managers are losing powers daily and are just basically paper pushers these days. I feel sorry for the good Project Managers that are still there. I know most of them already have one foot out the door.

Advice to Management

Go back to the old way of doing things. Get rid of purchasing and marketing. Let the PM make the best decisions about marketing and purchasing. Marketing just blows through the budgets because they are not tied to any budget. Purchasing just cares about awarding their guys so that they get big Christmas gift and get tickets and free lunch year round.

"worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arundel, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arundel, MD

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good conditions and close to my house

Cons

Coworkers are friendly and treat. Everyone good

Advice to Management

They treat the people good

"Dog Eat Dog"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Horsham, PA

Pros

Very broad job responsibilities and opportunities to learn if you are a self starter. Little supervision and flat organizational chart. As long as what you are doing works, no one will bother or notice you. Salaries are comparable or higher than industry norms due to the need for "combat pay".

Cons

Tail-wags-dog style of departmental control. HR and legal department are running the company. Gestopo management tactics encourages departments and employees to "rat" each other out. Constant bickering and sniping at others is the norm even at upper levels of management.

Advice to Management

Stop pitting departments and employees against each other. It creates distrust at every level and is counter productive. Employees who are savvy and dishonest, beat you at your own game by telling you what you want to hear, not the truth because they will be punished for it.

"Upward Mobility"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Toll has shown a consistent inclination to promote from within it's ranks allowing those that have work the hardest and contributed the most towards company goals to be the beneficiary of those efforts

Cons

Monday night meetings are mandatory part of culture nationwide though rumors are they will be eliminated or optional in the near future

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the feedback and perspective of local management. After all the development and homebuilding universe does not begin and end in the Philadelphia headquarters and those in California, Colorado, Texas, and the Carolinas may just know what works better in their marketplace than Barry Depew.

"The Current State of the Architecture Department"

Current Employee - Studio Associate in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Studio Associate in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work here are awesome. Most are involved and participate in team building type events and extra-curricular classes. There is a feeling of community and that is what is most enjoyable about working here.

Cons

The work itself, and the daily office life is stale. In this particular department, day-to-day work is ALWAYS the same. Rarely will you have a chance to work on anything other than in-house upkeep or production work.

The pay is about $10k lower for the majority of positions than that of industry standards and as a result the turnover rate is incredibly high. Managements position on such a predicament is to let people leave rather than match the competitions' rates. Pay increases (without promotions) are capped at 3% unless special circumstances occur. There are many people who have been with the company for a while and will stay so promotion past lower titles is rare. The benefits are about industry standard.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining the people you already have trained by paying them properly rather than let them leave and have to train new hires.