Tolmar Reviews | Glassdoor

Tolmar Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2019

3.1
Tolmar CEO  (no image)

"Tolmar, I'm giving up on you"

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Tolmar full-time

Pros

Stellar benes. Best retirement/time off compensation.

Cons

Where to begin.... upon reading reviews back several years, its frustrating to see that nothing has changed. Supervisors and middle mgmt are the worst part but this place has some other serious problems: many do not like their job, morale is low, nobody trusts mgmt or HR, general manufacturing are looked down on by the rest of the departments, young men are more highly valued than women, poor behavior is... unchecked if you are a favorite, you are held to different rules and standards if not, if you talk to mgmt or HR about issues it will reflect poorly on you and inevitably come back to haunt you, criteria for promotions and raises changes from person to person and depends predominantly on how much the sups like you, the constant restructuring is counterproductive, turnover is astoundingly high as is the criteria for entry level hiring, this makes staffing difficult so they can barely keep up with production creating a demand for involuntary OT, the equipment is ancient and barely works, no perks or incentives, did i mention favoritism..... people are fired regularly for questionable reasons if they don't like you, where as you can get away with murder if you are lucky enough to be chummy with mgmt, written disciplinary actions are used as excuses to not promote or give raises for some, but are mysteriously overlooked for others. Lack of accountability for sups/mgmt/HR = broken work environment and resentment.

Advice to Management

Do your job unbiasedly and performance base your descisions. Be honest and transparent with your staff and they will respect and trust you. Mostly importantly, don't lie to them, they are not as stupid as your unfounded arrogance would have you believe.

Tolmar2018-06-04

Tolmar Response

June 7, 2018Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback - we are disheartened to hear that you feel this way. We hope that since you are a current employee, you will utilize our open door policy and discuss these concerns with us offline in order for us to review your concerns, and if necessary, enact change. We believe that effective two-way communication is fundamental to our success. Inevitably during the course of operations there will be misunderstandings that occur whether it be directive received from a supervisor or something you may have personally experienced or observed. If you believe that you are being held to different rules and standards than yourpeers, please let us know so that we can investigate these concerns. Additionally, our company policies protect all of our employees from retaliation of any kind. If you believe you are being retaliated against for a good faith complaint that you made, please let us know so that we can investigate the situation and take any necessary action. We absolutely do not condone favoritism and place equal value on all employees regardless of gender. Promotions and pay raises are based on skills and merit and these decisions are made without bias. When making these decisions we take into account past performance which includes the review of recent disciplinary action. Consistent with our policy on merit increases, promotion and merit increase decisions for employees with recent corrective actions are made on a case-by-case basis. When making these decisions we review the severity, frequency and nature of the performance issue and also take into account whether or not performance has improved. Terminating employees without cause is not an accepted practice and we work closely with Managers and Supervisors to set clear expectations for all employees so that they may continue to be successfully employed. We take terminations seriously and do not take ending the means of someone’s livelihood lightly. If you see employees who are violating policies and/or procedures without reprimand, please let us know. Thank you again for your feedback and we do encourage you to speak directly in person about these concerns.

"This place is getting scary!"

I have been working at Tolmar

Pros

Pay seems good based on other jobs posted for industry. Benefits are solid. Lots of holidays/time off. Hard to get fired but they make it real easy for you to quit.

Cons

Every day is chaos. Not enough people with experience. High turnover so lots of wasted time performing training for people who then leave. Pointing of fingers between departments. Blame is the name of the game. Everyone scared of CEO and spends more time stragizing how to not to be on his s-list than fixing problems. Which is understandable because if he doesn't like or understand what you do you'd might as well... get out before he makes your life hell. Everyone is overworked and burnt out. Work until you drop and then we will replace you -all levels. Have a bachelors degree and 10 years of industry experience? Prepare to be given less respect and talked down too than most 4 year olds by just about everyone! Company culture is terrible, cut throat, and finger pointing. Anywhere is a better working environment than here.

Advice to Management

Take a good long look in the mirror. Quit destroying your people who work for you, you are only hurting yourselves. Hire people and trust them.

Tolmar2018-06-15

"Not the Worst, but Definitely Not the Best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Tolmar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people at Tolmar have some of the best attitudes and personal and professional goals. The community within the department I was part of was tight knit and collaborative. The benefits are solid. They take care of their personnel in that sense. Vacation, sick leave, and medical are above average, but the 401K match is fabulous! The company's overall goals are excellent, despite flawed strategy.

Cons

Essentially, they're in the midst of huge growing pains: The timelines for certain projects are more aggressive than practical. Some toxic management decisions due to the aggressive timelines. Inter-departmental headbutting can be difficult to overcome. Salaries within QC are inadequate by a long shot. Work-life balance is impossible for salaried employees to maintain. Overtime is not compensated for salaried... employees. They're the only company of this sort in town, so they have no competition to work against and improve their employer/employee relations.

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees to be able to rebuild work-life balance. Stop taking advantage of Colorado salary laws and forcing employees into unpaid overtime.

Tolmar2018-04-29

"Let’s be honest..."

I have been working at Tolmar full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great opportunity (for those that work hard and have a positive attitude). Has made great company culture improvements over the last few years.

Cons

As a company that has experienced growing pains...it needs to grow up a little to be more competitive. Could use more incentive programs when goals are met.

Advice to Management

Have high expectations and make everyone accountable!

Tolmar2018-02-16

"An Incredibly Dysfunctional Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Tolmar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Benefits, 401K Employer Match -Paid Birthday Holiday and full week off around Christmas -(depending on whether you're hourly or not) a lot of overtime

Cons

Although it's had different names, the main facility and departments at TOLMAR have been around for roughly 25 years. You would think this would be enough time for a company to come up with procedures and systems for adequate training, handling growth, and adopting a culture of quality. You couldn't be more wrong. In my three years working here I have seen a lot of promising individuals come and go once they... realized how the big the problems are, and how unlikely they're going to be fixed. It is very difficult for this company to retain talent. With that, what you have left is people in leadership positions who lack experience and maturity. Many employees and reviews I'm seeing say the company has "growing pains." That would count if the company had some kind of plan for growth in the first place. The truth is all decisions are made in haste, without thinking things through, and without consideration for the repercussions downstream. This is our expansion the two new facilities in Fort Collins and Windsor in a nutshell. There is no culture of quality here, but rather that of fear, a "just get it done" attitude, and a lot of office politics. There is a skeleton crew in every department and unreasonably tight budget constraints, to the point where it interferes with departments doing the most basic projects. With the lack of structure, your way up depends on who you're related to or how well you cozy up with supervisors. On top of that, the pay is low - and saying "below market rate" misses the point. This is the only pharmaceutical company in the area, for now TOLMAR owns the market. I would like to think this company has potential, but it doesn't exist with our current leadership, not until they hold themselves accountable for the sustainsble growth of this company, promote based on demontrated performance, keep the cronyism in-check, invest in their employees, and operate with integrity. Other pharmaceutical companies will show up in Northern Colorado, and TOLMAR will lose employees fast when that happens. -Frequent Restructuring in Upper Management -Lacking in Training -No Work-Life Balance -Poor Compensation -Inept Supervisors/Managers -Favoritism/Cronyism -Toxic Environment in some departments

Advice to Management

I have very little faith in any kind of change happening, but: -Hold leadership accountable -Stop pushing for manufacturing suites to operate when you're dealing with the main equipment breaking down daily -Ease off unreasonable budget constraints -Invest in personnel -Communiticate, not only from department head to department head, but to the individuals directly impacted -Lead with honesty and respect... towards employees

Tolmar2018-02-27

Tolmar Response

March 21, 2018Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback - we are sorry to hear that you feel this way. Since you are a current employee, we would also be happy to address your concerns through the direct avenues available to you so that you could provide more specifics in support of a constructive process toward resolution. Although it is true that our company has been in existence in different forms for over 25 years, we have only existed in our current structure as Tolmar since 2007. Before Tolmar, we were part of a Canadian company, QLT, and prior to that we were Atrix Laboratories. During the time that we have been established as Tolmar, we have experienced exponential growth - expanding from 134 employees in 2007 to the 652 employees we have today. As you mention, this type of rapid expansion does not come without its challenges, which we have weathered in the most feasible ways possible given the dynamics of change. Two years ago, we evaluated areas of our operations that needed improvements and determined, as you mentioned, that our training process had tremendous room for improvement. Since this discovery we have formed a Learning and Development team that is dedicated to revamping and improving our approach to training, including training on leadership development. This has been an extensive undertaking and is being rolled out in phases by department, with 2 of our largest departments currently implementing these processes. Every attempt is made to ensure our employees are able to experience a positive work/life balance. One of the ways we ensure this is through our generous benefits package, which provides employees with 3 weeks of paid time off annually, an additional week of sick pay each year, and a holiday closure in December which allows them to spend a week or more with their families without using any vacation time, and other personal leave opportunities as a qualifying need arises. Additionally, we offer a very generous 401(k) match in order to help prepare our employees financially for a future beyond their tenure with the company. Another demonstration of our respect for our employees’ lives outside of work is our commitment to limiting our expansion to facilities located in Northern Colorado. While a more centralized “campus” may have made our expansion easier logistically, our interest in focusing on new facilities in the geographic area where the majority of our employees live was intentional to avoid a company move to the Denver metro area. Employee compensation is evaluated at a minimum on an annual basis, utilizing validated salary data detailing comparable pay practices in the pharmaceutical industry as well as in Northern Colorado. Through these routine verifications, we are continually ensuring that employees are paid at or above current market averages. Finally, we strive to put quality at the forefront of everything we do. Our commitment to quality can be seen in our audit history, having never received any warning letters and being audited by multiple regulatory agencies on a regular basis. We also make every effort to keep employees as up to date as possible on quality training initiatives. All employees receive annual cGMP training and supplemental trainings throughout the year related to quality practices. We pride ourselves on transparency and would appreciate the opportunity to respond personally to your valued feedback.

6. "Microbiology Lab Technician"

Current Employee - Microbiology Lab Tech in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Tolmar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very versa tile day to day work. Allow training on all types of testing

Cons

Ltitle room for growth, very competitive for any promotions

Tolmar2018-02-10

"Research"

Former Employee - Researcher in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Tolmar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, benefits, time off, and great people.

Cons

Management is very disorganized, believes rumors, and doesn't delegate work appropriately.

Tolmar2018-02-01

"you got to kidding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CO

I have been working at Tolmar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

they are located in Colorado

Cons

company makes money and upper management brag's about it. nothing ever trickles down to the working staff. Management stands on top of employees and berates and intimidates staff. no personal time they want you to answer to them 24/7 yes Holidays included. They have GOLDEN EMPLOYEES that do no wrong even when proven they were at Fault . H.R cares only about management and management protection.

Advice to Management

start treating employees with the respect they deserve. Christmas parties and Picnics do not make up for being treated like animals the rest of the year.

Tolmar2017-12-12

"A great company experiencing typical growing pains"

I have been working at Tolmar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is responsive and helpful. Great benefits. Comparable pay to area jobs. People are passionate about their work to make products that help people improve their lives.

Cons

Would enjoy more flexible/work from home options.

Tolmar2017-09-19

"Work Friendy enviornment"

Validation in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Tolmar for more than a year

Pros

Work Friendly Enviornment and collegue

Cons

No cons to this company

Advice to Management

Kepp doing the good work

Tolmar2017-10-04