Tolmar "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

Tolmar Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Oct 16, 2019

3.3
Tolmar CEO  (no image)
Cons

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Growing company"

Current Employee - Aseptic Technician in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Tolmar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible benefits (including getting your birthday off) and good pay

Cons

Growing pains from company expansion

Tolmar2018-06-11

"Not the Worst, but Definitely Not the Best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Tolmar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people at Tolmar have some of the best attitudes and personal and professional goals. The community within the department I was part of was tight knit and collaborative. The benefits are solid. They take care of their personnel in that sense. Vacation, sick leave, and medical are above average, but the 401K match is fabulous! The company's overall goals are excellent, despite flawed strategy.

Cons

Essentially, they're in the midst of huge growing pains: The timelines for certain projects are more aggressive than practical. Some toxic management decisions due to the aggressive timelines. Inter-departmental headbutting can be difficult to overcome. Salaries within QC are inadequate by a long shot. Work-life balance is impossible for salaried employees to maintain. Overtime is not compensated for salaried... employees. They're the only company of this sort in town, so they have no competition to work against and improve their employer/employee relations.

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees to be able to rebuild work-life balance. Stop taking advantage of Colorado salary laws and forcing employees into unpaid overtime.

Tolmar2018-04-29

"Let’s be honest..."

I have been working at Tolmar full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great opportunity (for those that work hard and have a positive attitude). Has made great company culture improvements over the last few years.

Cons

As a company that has experienced growing pains...it needs to grow up a little to be more competitive. Could use more incentive programs when goals are met.

Advice to Management

Have high expectations and make everyone accountable!

Tolmar2018-02-16

"An Incredibly Dysfunctional Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Tolmar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Benefits, 401K Employer Match -Paid Birthday Holiday and full week off around Christmas -(depending on whether you're hourly or not) a lot of overtime

Cons

Although it's had different names, the main facility and departments at TOLMAR have been around for roughly 25 years. You would think this would be enough time for a company to come up with procedures and systems for adequate training, handling growth, and adopting a culture of quality. You couldn't be more wrong. In my three years working here I have seen a lot of promising individuals come and go once they... realized how the big the problems are, and how unlikely they're going to be fixed. It is very difficult for this company to retain talent. With that, what you have left is people in leadership positions who lack experience and maturity. Many employees and reviews I'm seeing say the company has "growing pains." That would count if the company had some kind of plan for growth in the first place. The truth is all decisions are made in haste, without thinking things through, and without consideration for the repercussions downstream. This is our expansion the two new facilities in Fort Collins and Windsor in a nutshell. There is no culture of quality here, but rather that of fear, a "just get it done" attitude, and a lot of office politics. There is a skeleton crew in every department and unreasonably tight budget constraints, to the point where it interferes with departments doing the most basic projects. With the lack of structure, your way up depends on who you're related to or how well you cozy up with supervisors. On top of that, the pay is low - and saying "below market rate" misses the point. This is the only pharmaceutical company in the area, for now TOLMAR owns the market. I would like to think this company has potential, but it doesn't exist with our current leadership, not until they hold themselves accountable for the sustainsble growth of this company, promote based on demontrated performance, keep the cronyism in-check, invest in their employees, and operate with integrity. Other pharmaceutical companies will show up in Northern Colorado, and TOLMAR will lose employees fast when that happens. -Frequent Restructuring in Upper Management -Lacking in Training -No Work-Life Balance -Poor Compensation -Inept Supervisors/Managers -Favoritism/Cronyism -Toxic Environment in some departments

Advice to Management

I have very little faith in any kind of change happening, but: -Hold leadership accountable -Stop pushing for manufacturing suites to operate when you're dealing with the main equipment breaking down daily -Ease off unreasonable budget constraints -Invest in personnel -Communiticate, not only from department head to department head, but to the individuals directly impacted -Lead with honesty and respect... towards employees

Tolmar2018-02-27

Tolmar Response

March 21, 2018Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback - we are sorry to hear that you feel this way. Since you are a current employee, we would also be happy to address your concerns through the direct avenues available to you so that you could provide more specifics in support of a constructive process toward resolution. Although it is true that our company has been in existence in different forms for over 25 years, we have only existed in our current structure as Tolmar since 2007. Before Tolmar, we were part of a Canadian company, QLT, and prior to that we were Atrix Laboratories. During the time that we have been established as Tolmar, we have experienced exponential growth - expanding from 134 employees in 2007 to the 652 employees we have today. As you mention, this type of rapid expansion does not come without its challenges, which we have weathered in the most feasible ways possible given the dynamics of change. Two years ago, we evaluated areas of our operations that needed improvements and determined, as you mentioned, that our training process had tremendous room for improvement. Since this discovery we have formed a Learning and Development team that is dedicated to revamping and improving our approach to training, including training on leadership development. This has been an extensive undertaking and is being rolled out in phases by department, with 2 of our largest departments currently implementing these processes. Every attempt is made to ensure our employees are able to experience a positive work/life balance. One of the ways we ensure this is through our generous benefits package, which provides employees with 3 weeks of paid time off annually, an additional week of sick pay each year, and a holiday closure in December which allows them to spend a week or more with their families without using any vacation time, and other personal leave opportunities as a qualifying need arises. Additionally, we offer a very generous 401(k) match in order to help prepare our employees financially for a future beyond their tenure with the company. Another demonstration of our respect for our employees’ lives outside of work is our commitment to limiting our expansion to facilities located in Northern Colorado. While a more centralized “campus” may have made our expansion easier logistically, our interest in focusing on new facilities in the geographic area where the majority of our employees live was intentional to avoid a company move to the Denver metro area. Employee compensation is evaluated at a minimum on an annual basis, utilizing validated salary data detailing comparable pay practices in the pharmaceutical industry as well as in Northern Colorado. Through these routine verifications, we are continually ensuring that employees are paid at or above current market averages. Finally, we strive to put quality at the forefront of everything we do. Our commitment to quality can be seen in our audit history, having never received any warning letters and being audited by multiple regulatory agencies on a regular basis. We also make every effort to keep employees as up to date as possible on quality training initiatives. All employees receive annual cGMP training and supplemental trainings throughout the year related to quality practices. We pride ourselves on transparency and would appreciate the opportunity to respond personally to your valued feedback.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Microbiologist in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Tolmar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, good people to work with

Cons

Some growing pains with new facilities and schedules

Tolmar2017-04-20

"Overall good company"

Current Employee - Process Operator in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Tolmar full-time

Pros

The benefits are amazing, the insurance is a little expensive due to it being a smaller company but you get at least 14 paid holidays off per year in addition to the three weeks of vacation per year you start accumulating as soon as you start. The 401K matching is great! Management is not as bad as some of the post make it seem. When you work with pharmaceuticals you cannot just change a process overnight, it has... to go through a validation process which takes time. Also, the easy way isn't always the best way. The company prefers to promote from within and if you are over qualified for your current position supervisors and HR will help you move up when the opportunity arises.

Cons

The pay is a little low but the benefits are a part of compensation. The company is growing faster than it was prepared for so there are growing pains that sometimes include a lack of organization. There are production inconsistencies between manufacturing shifts that doesn't appear to have been addressed as of yet.

Advice to Management

Hold all three manufacturing shifts to the same standards or production and ask questions why if one shift can get better numbers under the same conditions the other are under performing.

Tolmar2016-01-31

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Tolmar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TOLMAR is a great place to work. I've worked for a number of companies in northern Colorado and TOLMAR is the best! I hope to stay here until I retire. Good pay, shockingly good benefits and great people to work with.

Cons

TOLMAR is suffering from some growing pains. The good news is that we're growing and that provides more security and opportunities across the board, but we're always trying to get ahead of the curve that's moving at lightning speed.

Tolmar2015-05-21