Tom James Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Todd Browne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work with some of the most successful people in your city (in 14 reviews)

• s given me the opportunity to develop personal growth and retire with a net worth of 7-8 figures (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance in the first 6 months (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours, pay was minimal to begin (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You get whatever you put in"

Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The company invests on you from the very beginning, no matter who you are or where you come from as long as you are determined to be successful

-You have the opportunity to make 80-120 K your first year right after college which is more than you would possibly get as an undergraduate. And it is immediate gratification, meaning your making 7-10 k a month, not getting paid all at the end of your year

- Company pays for trips and conferences twice every year for your own development

- a lot of realistic bonus opportunities

Cons

You have to sacrifice a lot of time your first two years and grind. If you do, you will be successful. There is no sales job in which you dont have to hustle your first two years.

"Great place to grow"

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time

Pros

Being part of a team and influencing others. Training on goal setting and achieveing. Getting to work with The Who’s who in your city. Great compensation, insurance and benefits. Award trips are AMAZING.

Cons

Mentally tough your first couple years but gets easier.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"A lottery ticket called Tom James"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who lead the company have strength of character and are great at what they do. They truly believe in building the people of the company. There are insane bonuses for hitting your quota, and you get to build your own book of business. You work with the most successful people in your city and get to know their lives, and in most cases their families. The training program is incredible, and the company spends more on their new people than any other direct selling company. YOU GET STOCK OPTIONS, enough said.

Cons

It's not easy. You have to want something enough to grind to go get it.

"You’ll never be bored"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet with extremely successful business people every day.
    The relationships you build with your clients and colleagues are genuine.
    The company never stops developing you as a person.
    Double your income every year the first three years.
    Opportunity to get into leadership within your first year.
    Free clothes!

Cons

You’re busting your butt 24/7 your first year.
    Rejection — it’s sales you get used to it.

"If you are in need of direction- check this company out"

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time

Pros

Unlimited income potential. You work with the busiest and most successful people in your city. You get to wear and sell the worlds finest clothing. You are surrounded with highly motivated and goal driven people. Monthly, quarterly, and yearly award trips and incentives. Most importantly- the company gives you endless training and unlimited resources to become a better version of yourself. I was lost when I first come to Tom James, and I can confidently say I am a better brother, uncle, son, friend, and fiancé due to Tom James going to work on me.

Cons

None- you are your own boss.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being world class leaders and also world class examples.

"Great career for net worth building and income growth"

Current Employee - Partner
    Current Employee - Partner

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked a couple of odd jobs before starting at Tom James five years ago. I had other friends who had joined companies where they basically hire anyone and throw them against a wall and sees who sticks. A lot of these are turn and burn logistics companies, life insurance, private banking, or even medical sales. I can honestly say this is the perfect combination of outside sales and inside sales. There is not a culture I have found where people are as abundant as they are here, and the income isn’t bad either. I have grown my income 255%, not exaggerating, from year one through year five. That is an average of a 51% pay raise every year! The achievements I have built on over the past half decade have set me up for long term wealth building in the long run with their 401k and profit sharing, as well as the very lucrative stock plan that you simply cannot find elsewhere. If you are looking for something that will challenge you to great extents and build you into the person you want to become or have envisioned for yourself in the future, give Tom James a strong consideration.

Cons

It rises and falls on you, so if you aren’t working the numbers or habits they set out, you will not be happy with the results. I know a lot of people who put half effort and treated this as a “job” or “stepping stone” to the next thing, and this job ate them alive.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve the product line and quality. Also, the training is outstanding and world class, but the more training and development for new hires and leaders, the quicker the growth for everyone.

"Great career opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Engagement and mentoring from leaders in my org. Long term vision can become a reality for those who dedicate themselves to the principles the compamy promotes, which are closely tied to prominent authors such as Stephen Covey, John Maxwell, and others. Each day is unique and there are great rewards both monetarily and in other forms for improving skill while working hard in both sales and leadership.

From day one, proper expectations were set in regards to how to build the business, create client relationships, the dedication required to become a top performer, become a good leader, and so on. After 8 years of employment it is affirming to see the company continue to grow, and the relationships with other employees is more like a fraternity (that is positive and uplifting) than a coworker. Everyone seems to really want each other do succeed.

The ramp up business building training is also helpful for new partners, as are the leadership seminars for leaders. And the upper management is very accessible to everyone.

Cons

Direct sales is simply not for everyone, and there are still challenging days for us all even when it’s what we have decided to pursue. No guarantee on what you’ll earn, so it is up to the individual to create consistency. Success will not magically appear on your doorstep the day you join the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire quality people and provide ongoing training, as sustained growth depends on the newer partners learning the business quickly.

"A great home for a long lasting career"

Current Employee - Executive Clothier in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Clothier in Miami, FL

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People
    Financial opportunity
    Personal development
    Leadership development
    Flexible schedule
    All inclusive Incentive trips

Cons

Hard work work and effort on the font end.

"Hard, but worth it"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A lot of training - definitely not a sink or swim atmosphere
    - People are first class
    - Family- like culture
    -Unlimited growth
    - Set your own path
    - Work with some of the most successful people in your city

Cons

- A lot of rejection daily and dealing with issues when they arise
    - Pay can be tough when you are having a bad month

Advice to Management

-Create a solid base
    - Figure out what people want and what drives them then help them get there... whether it is a 50K home or million dollar home it doesn't matter... it is what they want in life
    - Keep building people

"Extraordinary Opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High standards, unlimited financial opportunity, wealth building through equity ownership, personal growth and development through building a business, ability to determine own pay, privilege to serve incredible and successful people, family culture, ability to make a difference in lives of others, fantastic product, company leadership is accessible and available and leads by principles, advancement within the company is based on performance and achievement

Cons

Building a business is challenging, sales is challenging, managing self (especially when you have the freedom to choose how you utilize most of your time and resources) is challenging. The career is most difficult in the beginning, it takes time to build a business, to get momentum, to grow in confidence and skills, and to fully begin to realize the compensation from sales, leadership and equity growth.

Advice to Management

Continue seeking ways to improve, continue listening to the newest partners in our company for answers to challenges and to new opportunities, continue being transparent and authentic, continue making decisions that focus on building people, serving clients and providing opportunities for growth and success