Tom James Company Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Todd Browne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance in the first 6 months (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours in first 6 months to get your business built (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You get whatever you put in"

Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The company invests on you from the very beginning, no matter who you are or where you come from as long as you are determined to be successful

-You have the opportunity to make 80-120 K your first year right after college which is more than you would possibly get as an undergraduate. And it is immediate gratification, meaning your making 7-10 k a month, not getting paid all at the end of your year

- Company pays for trips and conferences twice every year for your own development

- a lot of realistic bonus opportunities

Cons

You have to sacrifice a lot of time your first two years and grind. If you do, you will be successful. There is no sales job in which you dont have to hustle your first two years.

"Clothier"

Current Employee - Clothier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Clothier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolute LOVE Tom James!! Although it can sometimes be difficult, I have experienced momentous growth at Tom James. The motto is “We build people and people build the business!” And it lives up to it 100%. I come from very humble beginnings and it’s hard for me to trust just anyone... but Tom James uses an approach that is specifically designed for my needs. I was part of the sales program at my college, which is how I heard about the company. I sell quota easily, but we set “BIG, HAIRY, AUDACIOUS” -Todd Browne (CEO) goals so I’m constantly looking to improve and become better. The culture is amazing in any office you go to, everyone will treat you like family. Tom James is my family and I could never be more grateful to be a part of it.

Cons

It was really challenging when I first started because I wasn’t taking responsibility for my own actions and my own goals, but in the company there is never a question of “If” you will be successful... only a question of “when.” I chose to not trust them in the beginning and I didn’t have the success that I wanted. I’ve been here two years and every day I’m becoming better and stronger. I had the entire leadership team behind me. I couldn’t be more happy.

3. "Great company but..."

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time

Pros

Great training, competition is there to help you and senior staff go above and beyond for you!

Cons

Leaders can be good or bad depending on the person make sure you understand your pay scale and stick it out and you will be a millionaire with in 9years

4. "Great for sales, not for office personnel"

I worked at Tom James Company part-time

Pros

Fast pace
    Mileage Reimbursement
    For the most people, sales professionals are nice

Cons

You pay for your benefits, you have to ask for permission to use accrued leave before hand, and if you leave employment, it does not go with you, meaning they will not pay you for it, and it takes forever to accumulate. Pay is low for office people, you will be expected to have your own car and you will use it a lot!! You could be gone up to 4 to 6 hours of the day running around the city dropping off, and picking up garments with clients that will look down their noses at you.

Advice to Management

Pay your office people! It is a joke that you can make upwards of $16,000 a paycheck when your office people are making $14/hr and they do everything but measure your client.

5. "It's sales at the end of the day"

I worked at Tom James Company full-time

Pros

If you are a sales rep.... remember you are a SALESMAN. So your earning is unlimited.

Cons

If you are a sales rep.... remember you are a SALESMAN. So grab your money and go. You are not a CLOTHIER first. That is second. Prioritize that and remember that everyday. Your sales will need to come first. Theres many "leaders" in the company who could not tell you the difference between fabrics but it does not matter. They are a SALESMAN first.

Advice to Management

Train your assistants. If you really want the reps to grow, HELP THEM. I had to train myself and ask questions to tons of people out of my office and in my business contacts. My salesman could not tell me anything besides "get it done". This is not a complaint of my salesman... he is busy selling.

6. "Great for people that are just beginning their career"

I worked at Tom James Company full-time

Pros

Tons of training and company support. Unlimited earning potential. Great quality product with fantastic reputation.

Cons

Don't expect to have a life outside of work. Grueling long hours - particularly your first two years. I have heard you do much better years 30-5. Expect to be micromanaged your first several years.

"Fantastic Pure Sales Opportunity"

Former Employee - Clothier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Clothier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tom James Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic health benefits, sales training, employee stock opportunity, 401K package, loyalty, incentive trips, and direct selling opportunity.

Cons

Extremely difficult market. Company's technology is antiquated.

Advice to Management

Model Fortune 500 companies in their interview/ hiring processes to filter out unqualified candidates.

"Professional Clothier"

Current Employee - Professional Clothier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professional Clothier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tom James will change your life, if you let it. Tom James is a principle centered company with principle centered leadership. It’s more than the sale of suits, but Tom James has helped to grow my thinking and challenges me to reach my potential.

Cons

Sacrifice. You have to be willing to work hard, study even harder, and be coachable.

"I’ve been with Tom James for 24 years and it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made."

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people
    Unlimited income
    Sales and leadership career
    The net worth building opportunity
    Fun product
    You become a better version of yourself

Cons

I don’t really have anything that is a significant con. It is a straight commission sales job but that also means there is no cap on your income.

Advice to Management

Keep growing

"Personal growth focused"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tom James has the motto of "we build people" and I've never heard of any company that invests so much in it's people like this. I've become smarter, stronger, and more self aware of my strengths and weaknesses because the company takes the time to help me grow personally and professionally.

Cons

Working at Tom James will challenge you to do things that force growth. It highlights the principal of "successful people do the things that unsuccessful people don't, so that they can have what others won't"
    A job at Tom James isn't easy, but they make it simple and so worth it.