Tom Sawyer Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Brendan Madden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A Great Growth Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Tom Sawyer Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I think Tom Sawyer Software is a terrific company. The company was the earliest innovator in the graph visualization market, and has broadened into data visualization. In recent times it has also released several finished solutions as part of a growing Tom Sawyer Perspectives offering.

The company has far and away the very best graph visualization technology on the market today, and has an excellent technology platform. The company also had good timing with the rise of graph databases and other data intensive industries. It is now finally making very good inroads with top US and European and Asian enterprises in various markets. The company's products are really top-notch and has had continuity in the development.

The company has also had good staff stability across multiple sites and has been quite resilient over the years. The company has bootstrapped to success and this is really something that is quite difficult today in the software industry. This illustrates that the CEO and senior management must have had very strong operational skills to pull this off over the years.

I think their long-term CEO has been particularly critical to this success. He has been there since the company was founded, and the original concepts of the company were his. Even today he also continues to drive a great deal of the direction across the company and has particularly strong skills in concepts and operational and sales skills. He also has unmatched skills when it comes to attention to detail, testing, and does fine design and conceptual work. I think this company would definitely not be what it is today without him. He is quite brilliant sometimes.

There is also very good depth in senior management around the company, and this creates a balance that is hard to match. The company also is gaining traction in its marketing and sales teams in the last few years. I think the culture internally has been improving in the last years, and there seem to be very good moods and relationships all around. People seem to genuinely care about each other, and also I find that the company has been quite generous and caring to the staff. On more than one occassion I have seen the company management go the extra mile to support H1 visas, green cards, send people back to school for more education, or support families with children, or support persons that need more flexibility. It really is open in this way and people seem to appreciate it. The company also has very nice facilities, and has plenty of interesting projects going on.

Of course the company is trying to hire carefully and find the right people to help it move forward over the next few years, and is trying to continue its expanion around the world.

Cons

The company needs to continue strengthening it's operations and building the right tools to operate efficiently. Even with rapid grow, it's essential to be organized and operate well. It would be nice to see this operational and administrative development move more quickly. I know the company is interested in this area too.

The company also needs to look for more good engineering managers and more developers, and hopefully the company can also strengthen its product management function in the next year.

Advice to Management

I think this is a great company - one that is in the right place at the right time. Please continue to hire carefully but move quickly and decisively. I'm sure as the company grows it will also strengthen senior management and further improve compensation and benefits.

"Awesome people, top product, great company"

I worked at Tom Sawyer Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Tom Sawyer Software for 1.5 years at its headquarters in Berkeley, CA.

- The company has a very powerful, top-of-the-line data visualization product and hundreds of big name customers using it. The people who developed it are extremely talented, experienced, and intelligent. This once niche industry is fast growing, and I learned a great deal about the data visualization and the market working with with them. My work was very much appreciated and I felt valued working here.

- Tom Sawyer has teams globally in multiple locations, the HQ office in Berkeley has people from various countries and nationalities, all of which add to the diversity and richness of the company culture. Several employees also work remotely around the US, and office employees have a chance to work remotely several days a week. Flexible work hours make it easy for those commuting long distances. And working from home when needed (tending to a sick child, parent, or pet) was welcomed.

- There is a lot of emphasis on process and putting in place systems that aim to make work-flow efficient and smooth for everyone. Since Tom Sawyer has teams working from all over the place, this made work pretty streamlined. If you are process-oriented and well-organized, you would enjoy working here.

- People at this company, including the ones I directly worked with, are very friendly, supportive, and helpful. I found my direct supervisors and colleagues very compassionate, kind, and understanding during particularly hard times in my personal life. I greatly appreciated the family friendly atmosphere here.

- The atmosphere in the office is pretty casual and fun. The company regularly organizes office potlucks, summer grills, lunch outings, and holiday celebrations. The kitchen is supplied with great snacks and drinks that keep you going during the day.

I really enjoyed working at Tom Sawyer and I would definitely recommend it.

Cons

Since the company is growing fast and the industry has a great potential for growth, I would suggest that the company get more new tools in order to scale.

"Great people, great company!"

I have been working at Tom Sawyer Software full-time

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, improve my knowledge, develop new skills, and create something new. We are now at a time of rapid growth and exciting new global initiatives. This is an exciting time to be working at Tom Sawyer Software and I look forward to the opportunities and challenges that come with the expansion of the business.

Cons

There is a need for more on-boarding training. The first couple of weeks can be confusing on where to find the information you need that pertains to your job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job! I'm excited to see the company grow.

4. "Marketing"

I worked at Tom Sawyer Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff were very friendly. Management was disorganized, from the executive level.

Cons

The CEO was somewhat unprofessional. Salary could have been better.

"Nice people and cool products"

I worked at Tom Sawyer Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Awesome coworkers: Most genuine and freindly people I've worked with.
    2. Great team: Smart and talented people build a strong team. Most of the time team work and effort made a big difference on certain time-sensitive projects. People are willing to share knowledge to each other and work together to get work done. You will be growing very fast and getting exposed to different aspects in your field if you are entry level at your job and want to learn as much as possible.
    3. Cool products: People working here truly believe in their products. They are experts in data visualization field and dedicated to build the products for 10+ years or even more. If you believe big data is the future, make sure to have them to show you how the products do the magic on the data.
    4. Casual and clean work environment: They have a nice kitchen (you can even cook lunch there) and clean workspace. Sometimes they also have office catering and potluck, cakes for people's birthdays too :)

Cons

Depends on the month in the year and the department you belong to, the work can be very busy and time-sensitive sometimes.

"Run Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Free parking, coffee and snacks.

Cons

This company has absolutely no vision. There is no growth expected, rather will the company go down fairly soon. CEO is very abusive to employees. Many employees have to work overtime without getting paid (it's discouraged actively to report any overtime).

Advice to Management

Fire CEO!

7. "Good Company, Needs Some Major Help Though"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Tom Sawyer Software part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great, smart people. They love doing their job, and the work get's done with ease. A very nice office goes a long way, and that's really shown in the Berkeley office.

Cons

The C.E.O is pretty controlling. A lot of Micro Management going on, and he's very stubborn. I've gotten plenty of nasty emails and Skype message, as has everybody else in the office.

Advice to Management

Listen C.E.O, this is directly for you. Be more aggressive with sales, and marketing. Take your company's media to the next level. Take more time for your release. These changes will make the worth of your company skyrocket. I guarantee it.

"Niche product, Niche company"

Pros

With the massive changes in the Data Visualization market, TSS still plugs along. And they do so with a best of breed solution - but a very niche solution.

Cons

Marketing, marketing and more marketing. - how can you sell software with a website from 1948?? Kick the marketing into high gear w a soup to nuts change and watch the leads come in.

Advice to Management

You have crazy good software. Get rid of your sales team, get some boutique channel VARs, and market the snot out of the current solutions. Then sell the firm to Oracle or SFDC.

"Marketing"

I worked at Tom Sawyer Software full-time

Pros

Great place to learn, with nice people.

Cons

Not enough trust or autonomy - lots of micromanaging

Advice to Management

Listen to employee ideas and concerns. Trust them to handle work and projects. Communicate respectfully. Organize promotion and raise schedules.

10. "Feedback"

Pros

they have very friendly and smart employees, the project managers have enough experience to manage a team of developers even if they are distributed around the world; additionally the software technologies they use are very interesting

Cons

the entry salary for starting employees is a little low