Tommy Bahama Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Doug Wood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management keeps changing direction and policy (in 21 reviews)

• The company expects "World Class Service" but does not apply it to the ones who are providing it, not even a cost of living increase (in 7 reviews)

"I’ve loved working for this company, but we need some help here."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many talented & dedicated people working here
    High visual & guest service standards, inspiring corporate leadership
    Wonderful product we can be proud to sell

Cons

Outdated technology
    Too many open management positions
    There is a breakdown between corporate & the field, driven by lack of DMs. We have districts that are micromanaged & others with no supervision at all.

Advice to Management

If you really want to provide a great guest experience, make it easier to pay & go. Why not have mobile checkout systems? And if you want a younger demographic why don’t we have an app for their phones?
    We have way too many management positions open & not enough oversight, resulting in LP & HR issues.
    People work for people and we are in a critical situation with so many stores not having full teams. No one seems concerned about the managers who have to work so many extra shifts. Burnout is a real issue.
    By the way, change is a part of life, it is not something you invented. Stop blaming resistance to change for our problems!

2. "Good place for adaptable, resilient workers"

I worked at Tommy Bahama part-time

Pros

Laid-back, fun atmosphere
    Easy menu
    Good sections/shifts have high potential earnings

Cons

Disorganized under pressure/high volume
    Clientele can be difficult
    Some issues with certain managers

Advice to Management

Invest in the sake of your employees and the profit will follow!

"Great Employer"

Current Employee - Private in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Private in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits, including discounts, tuition reimbursement, 401K and espp. opportunities for growth, especially if you can deal with change. clear vision and mission and company that stands by it's values. donated a lot to hurricanes and individual employees and families that were impacted.

Cons

not for the faint of heart or people that can't manage through change. it's a challenging time for retail and keeping competitive in a changing environment means having a go forward mentality. not backwards.

Advice to Management

take time to celebrate the wins.

"Moved on to greener pastures"

Former Employee - Do Not Wish to Disclose in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Do Not Wish to Disclose in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I used to love this place. My first 3-ish years were great.

My coworkers were some of the nicest people that I have ever worked with. Fantastic vacation policy. Decent discount. Slow pace and unchallenging work if that’s your thing.

Cons

But then it all changed.

Slow pace. Work is not particularly interesting or challenging. Honestly, if I could get paid for it, I’d rather watch paint dry 40 hours a week than work at Tommy Bahama. Exceptionally poor communication internally. Low morale. CEO completely uninterested in learning and development of corporate employees; when asked at a corporate all hands about learning and development opportunities for employees he indicated that instead of focusing on learning and development opportunities he was spending money on corporate infrastructure and meager bonuses. Promotions are infrequent and appear to be based on how popular you are; you are more popular if you “fall in line” and keep your opinions to yourself. Organization is extremely top heavy with too many layers of management to supervise the handful of people doing the work. Lots of finger pointing when things don’t go as desired; if you are at the bottom of the totem pole, rest assured that they will most often be pointing at you. Completely unsupportive work environment: if you have any ambitions/goals for yourself or your career, Tommy Bahama will certainly not help you achieve them.

Benefits are on the low end of the spectrum for city. Health insurance is low quality, expensive, and gets worse each year. No maternity or paternity leave. No sick time so you have to use vacation. No work from home. No flex hours. Pricy parking in building. Donation match only for Red Cross if there is a major catastrophe. No tuition assistance unless you are someone’s “favorite.”

Advice to Management

Eliminate several layers of management. Provide learning and development opportunities for employees. Define career paths for employees. Be open to feedback from employees. Improve communication at corporate.

I don’t know why I bothered with this section, though, leadership seems to think things are swell.

"I like it"

I have been working at Tommy Bahama part-time

Pros

Its a good job, and I enjoy my time there

Cons

I have no cons right now

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Its not good."

Current Employee - Corporate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office building and location. PTO.

Cons

This place is truly spiraling. Nepotism (this was called out in an earlier review and taken off site, but rings true), Boys club, ridiculous management that is based on fear – the other review is 100% spot on, everyone is desperate to prove their worth which means extreme micromanaging then scapegoating when things go awry. NO raises except cost of living (don’t worry, that’s saved for the Executive Team), fake promotions (so many Sr. Directors, SVP, VP, truly fake titles that don’t translate to any other company –BUT they get a pay bump), NO company praise or party – which may sounds petty, but with the Leadership team pushing everyone so hard to make our numbers especially during this time of year, a little something would have been nice. Instead our ‘party’ is either a sample sale of employees spending our own money (we are already underpaid) or employee funded company holiday parties to give a boost of moral (EMPLOYEE FUNDED). Only a select few leaders of the company actually take their employees to lunch, dinner, or host parties for them, if you’re on any team outside of Ecommerce or Marketing/Creative then you get nothing. The company is also way too overinvested in Marketing right now and not focused on Product which is the heart of our brand and why our guest will continue to go elsewhere unless something is done – but hiring and firing more people in Design isn’t going to fix that. It starts at the TOP.

Advice to Management

I hope someone takes this to notice and does something. Right now majority of the tone here is ‘desperate to leave’ and go somewhere where we are valued...

"Seattle Corporate Employee"

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment most of the time.

Cons

Boys club. Women are low-paid, while men run the show. The VPs are constantly getting promotions (From VP to SVP to EVP, not necessary but great way to funnel the money employees depesparatly need to line the pockets of the already over-paid). If you have a problem with the way you are being treated, especially by men in upper management, you are encouraged to shut up and not say anything. Not much else to say besides it’s truly a Mad Men atmosphere, where younger women are treated like cute little girls with silly thoughts and dreams.

Advice to Management

Get in line.

"Management Transition"

I worked at Tommy Bahama full-time

Pros

Brand Positioning
    Menswear consumer following
    Employee Benefits and Restaurant Discounts

Cons

Executive transitions has slowed growth

"Flip Flops...and I Don't Mean Footwear"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Tommy Bahama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers (guests). I rarely had to talk to an angry caller. There was also the opportunity to leave early if it was a slow day and management offered it to you. You were not sent home without pay due to slow call volume.

Cons

MANAGEMENT (You can watch the video on YouTube 'Open Letter to Doug Wood CEO of Tommy Bahama'). One day they tell you to do something a certain way and the next day you are written up for doing it the way they told you to do it. Why? Because they changed their minds and didn't tell you about it. Directions are not given in writing so you cannot dispute the disciplinary action you received for following orders. Monitoring of call quality is also a joke. You will lose points because some blonde ignoramus thinks her choice of words is better than yours (or if you are heard breathing while talking to a 'guest').

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. If you are bold enough to give them directions to follow then be bold enough to put them in writing. That way when you change directions without telling staff they can hold you accountable by pointing out that they were following YOUR OWN DIRECTIONS.

"Amazing GM"

Former Employee - Hostess in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Hostess in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Tommy Bahama part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was great money for a hostess. Most upscale restaurants don't tip out the hostesses. The GM was and is still one of the best managers I have ever had.

Cons

Some of the servers could cause issues but as long as you explained to management they usually took care of it. Hours can be late like any restaurant. Depending on how you treat it and whether you are male or female, the harassment from some of the guests can go overboard on Thursday nights around the bar area.