Tompkins Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Tompkins

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Tompkins Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very challenging in that you get a lot of experience in a lot of industries in a short period of time.
    If you are smart, not afraid of hard work, and want to get paid well - you should consider Tompkins!

Cons

Travel can be a pain at times... but some projects are in really cool places - so it balances out...

2. "Terrible."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Tompkins Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to work from home (for most people)

Cons

Different groups within the company have very different management styles. Some managers are completely relaxed about the flexible scheduling and ability to get work done from home, whereas the controls and automation group is chastised for not appearing in the office everyday at a certain time.
    Travel schedules for the controls engineers (or as the company calls them: consultants) are almost always unpredictable and changing. The same controls engineers that have to travel and work 60+ hour weeks are also on rotating weekly shifts for after-hours (5pm - 8am) technical support phone calls. There are no exceptions for holidays. Overall controls engineering practices are very outdated: AutoCAD, panel design, controls design, networking, etc. You will be working at least 10-15 years behind the rest of the controls industry. Very little engineering or creative freedom; you will be installing a control system that, for better or for worse, two more senior employees have total autonomy over. Even if you have loads of industrial controls experience and an engineering degree, don't expect anything more than being a copy/paste installer and programmer, even though you will immediately see tons of room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Listen to and support your integrators better.
    Learn how to accept and facilitate change.
    Train mid-level management to better incorporate ideas and improvements into the existing system.
    Emphasize addressing root causes, rather than mindlessly and repetitively fixing the same technical support issues.

"Great company, manages with integrity"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Tompkins Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Tompkins from 1997-1999 (Glassdoor would not let me select anything earlier). The logistics and distribution world has certainly changed since then, and, with the exception of a few key players at Tompkins, I see that management has turned over quite a bit (as is to be expected over nearly 20 years).

Anyway, while there, I always had a good feeling about the company. The partners seemed very down to earth and people-oriented. Although at that time it was a small company, they seemed to put a lot of effort into HR policies and employee training. The training was of course at a very basic level at their HQ in Raleigh, as you can't teach people to be consultants in a classroom - so considering that, I think they did a really good job. Most training in anything complex is on the job anyway.

The team I worked with also had weekly project review sessions where all teams would meet at the region office and talk about their projects...that way we could all learn together. I really got the feeling that Tompkins was very customer and employee oriented and there was never any hidden agenda.

I really had only three reasons to leave Tompkins - first, I decided to take my life in a different direction, outside of what Tompkins could provide; second, I needed to spend less time on the road, and third, a close friend at another company asked me to help her out and I couldn't say no. None of these had anything to do with any lack of satisfaction at Tompkins - I was otherwise really happy there.

Otherwise, benefits and salary were on par or better that others in the industry.

Cons

The only thing negative for me was the amount of travel required, but that's an issue in most consulting jobs, not just Tompkins. If you don't like being on the road then don't be a consultant (I enjoyed the travel but as I stated above I decided to go in a different direction, career-wise).
    Otherwise, there could be more cons depending on your work style. For example if you like to be told what to do and how to do it, this is not the place for you. It's up to you to ask lots of questions and figure things out. Management is not going to hold your hand.

Advice to Management

My only advice here is to keep doing what you were doing back in the day. I thought it was a great company back then...hopefully it still is! I have nothing but warm feelings for my time at Tompkins.

"Unappreciated"

Former Employee - N/A in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - N/A in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Tompkins Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people with great office space and location.

Cons

If you are in HR, accounting, or marketing they do not care about you or your growth within the company. Engineers and consultants see yearly pay raises and bonuses, but others will have a hard time getting anything.

Advice to Management

Engineers might make your company money directly, but it can't run smoothly without the hard work of others. Start appreciating other departments more.

6. "Stocking,and shipping and receiving"

Former Employee - Stocker in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Stocker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Tompkins Associates full-time

Pros

To make a profitable outcome on the job

Cons

Injury, over working, little payment, and working in bad condition

Advice to Management

Very hard worker

7. "The company provides real personal growth opportunities and employees learn more in one year than in 5 years anywhere."

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Challenges, flexible scheduling, skilled leaders

Cons

Hard work and some stressful projects

Advice to Management

Performance appraisal system needs to be improved

"Cutting-edge thought leadership meets old-fashioned values."

Current Employee - Principal in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Principal in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Tompkins Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The variety of work, exposure to new and different sets of problems to be solved, the opportunity to both refine current and develop new skill-sets are the things I like most about Tompkins.

The work life balance is as good as it can possibly be, given the circumstances. The job is most typically site-based and client-driven which can mean frequent travel. But when that is not the case, the hours one chooses to work and the location (not just home/office, but City, ST) is completely flexible. And if there is a temporary personal situation you're going through (e.g. newborn child beyond maternity leave, family illness, etc...) where you need to come off the road (or even have all of your work re-allocated for a period of time), management and fellow employees will go to great lengths to make that happen.

Related to above, and ahead of the Cons, its important to note that during the Great Recession, there was seemingly no work to be had in the entire industry for about 2 years. Competitor after competitor went out of business, drastically (80%) cut their workforce, etc... Tompkins employees were asked to make sacrifices during this time, and there were a few casualties along the way too, but mostly what happened is executive management dug into their personal bank accounts to keep employees they value both professionally and personally. Keep that in mind as this review moves to the "Cons".

Cons

Although Supply Chain Consulting is the main focus of Tompkins, it is fundamentally an engineering firm. Engineers are not, generally speaking, the warmest, most touchy-feely people in the world. It doesn’t mean the people don’t, or the company doesn’t, care (see "Pros," above)… they’re probably just pre-occupied with solving whatever problem they’re currently working on. If you’re seeking an organization with a highly-developed HR culture, this might not be the place for you.

Related to above, the people who are in the best position to pursue more business with existing clients and develop new relationships in similar industries are the Engineers, who are fantastic problem-solvers but not necessarily pre-disposed to relationship management and/or selling. This ultimately means that, even though everyone at the company is empowered (and encouraged) to sell, ultimately the firm is dependent on comparatively few people to bring in new business. It’s a Catch-22 with which the firm struggles.

The business of consulting -- not unique to Tompkins -- is primarily site-based project work. It can require lots of travel, sometimes for extended periods of time. If you’ve got a personal situation that requires you to be home every day by a certain time, this is probably not the career for you. It also requires both working within temporary teams that are put together for an individual project and working for extended periods all alone with no direct supervision. If you have difficulty adapting to new situations or struggle with self-motivation there are probably better career paths.

Advice to Management

Target a handful of more junior (< Principal) level-consultants to put through formal Sales training or similar cross-functional development. There are quite a few who are being used as "go-to" specialists in their particular field who possess the solid communication skills and excellent inter-personal abilities (and perhaps a few less old habits) to become much more than they are today even if they are not yet ready to become project managers.

"Never a boring day"

Current Employee - Consulting in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Consulting in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Tompkins Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family Oriented Company, the management is very flexible if you need to work from home, the type of work is very exciting, rewarding and very different that what you can get elsewhere.
    They look for and promote self-starters. If you need to be given a lot of direction, it is probably not the company for you, but if you like to think on your own and be rewarded for it, I highly recommend it.
    The leadership is forward thinking and it feels good to be on the cutting edge of your field. There are Professional Development sessions to teach on new products or concepts on a regular basis.
    The employees are very accepting and inclusive. It is not a political or click-ish environment, and upper management is accessible at almost any given time.
    The biggest differentiator of this company is that they do the right thing every time. I have never seen them make a decision that went against their or my moral compass.

Cons

Every company has negatives, as does Tompkins. The biggest one is the travel. Management tries to minimize travel as much as they can for the sake of family, client expenses and general wear and tear on the employees, but there is still travel. The hours can be long as the business is a project based business therefore there are many deadlines.
    The clients play a large role in dictating the work environment. The management tries to shield most of the negative that from the consultants, but at times it does show through a bit.

Advice to Management

The management can get busy and does not spend much one-on-one time with the consultants outside of a project environment. This is a time that could be used for career coaching and discussing individual goals.

"This company is dis-functional, very political driven."

Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Tompkins Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of exposure on the field
    Some people are willing to help
    Flexible on work time

Cons

No training
    No motivation
    No promotions
    No career growth at all
    No structure
    No polite culture
    No innovation

Advice to Management

Do promise things you can keep, be more clear on the expectations of the work for future associates

11. "Fun and Challenging"

Pros

Tompkins provides a fun and challenging work environment that exposes their consultants to high level strategic initiatives with clients that you would not typical experience elsewhere

Cons

High travel levels can be required

Advice to Management

Focus more on and promote your strengths