Tompkins International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Jim Tompkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sr. Consultant, Supply Chain"

I worked at Tompkins International full-time

Pros

• Great Leadership Team
    • Challenging/Fun work and working environment
    • Ability to truly work on supply chain strategy projects ranging from network optimization, production planning, inventory optimization, etc.
    • Exposure to variety of different industries and interaction with Senior and C-level executives
    • Fantastic support from internal teams/co-workers and managers
    • Great company culture with good growth, exposure, stability and professional development

Cons

Nothing that stands out! All good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Great niche management consulting firm, experienced in supply chain with continuous growth"

I have been working at Tompkins International full-time

Pros

- Challenging and yet rewarding projects in many areas including: supply chain management and consulting services, network modeling/optimization, DC design, material handling equipment implementation and integration and more.
    - Exposure to working with clients and C-level executives of various business industries and sizes, including some Fortune 500.
    - Overall good experience with co-workers and managers; most people in the company are helpful, learn off of one another and are responsive to questions.
    - Good company culture with growth, stability and advancement.
    - Regularly host internal conferences and presentations for professional development.
    - Many employees have been with the organization 10+ years.
    - Travel can be to some interesting destinations.
    - Potential for some home office with management approval.

Cons

- Travel can be exhausting if not well acquainted; Consultants can expect to travel 20-30 weeks Mon.-Thur., project managers and above, 40 or more weeks out of the year.
    - No formal consulting training program in place; expectations are to be self-sufficient in project deliverables and learn by doing and observation or through shadowing colleagues on projects. There is however an intent to restore and increase the level of training, both new-hire and ongoing.

Advice to Management

Consider investing in employees to pursue higher education and/or certifications, through tuition reimbursement, in exchange for service commitments.

3. "Open Door Policy"

I have been working at Tompkins International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tompkins will work with you if an adjusted work schedule is necessary. In addition some employees may work from home on occasion. My direct Manager is very knowledgeable in his field and Tompkins in general. He has an open door policy. I would rate Tompkins with five stars and an A+.

Cons

No issues worth mentioning at this time.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge and respect your employees for the work they perform and as a person, your positive demeanor is more valuable than you may think.

4. "Current Employee Review - Non Consulting"

I have been working at Tompkins International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Understanding that you have a life/family outside of Tompkins
    Recognition that as long as I am doing my job at the level expected/or better then flexible about working from home on a regular basis
    Comfortable office environment
    "Open Door" with top management
    Constructive thoughts/Ideas/Make things better? Those are welcome.
    Pay is equal to/better than same position in other companies and am included in the company's bonus program

Cons

Two things: 1) something that does come up from time to time is the level of expectations for someone on my level being higher than for those who are higher up/paid a lot more than me; and 2) more hiring of worker bees and less VP/Director level

Advice to Management

Being as thoughtful of non-consulting as consulting ; maintain the atmosphere of "open door" and ability to welcome constructive thoughts/ideas

5. "Review of Tompkins International Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Tompkins International (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for challenging and varying projects

Cons

Comes with it, but the travel can be taxing

Advice to Management

Better assessment of project resource requirements. 401K matching is on a comeback, big differential with other companies.

6. "Pushing the Thought Leadership boundaries"

I have been working at Tompkins International full-time

Pros

I am in touch with the latest developments in supply chain management. Exciting work with great people.

Cons

A big learning curve and working hard. But really growing

Advice to Management

More Communications Meeting. Want to hear what Jim and Denny are thinking.

7. "Great company with growth opportunities"

I have been working at Tompkins International full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    Work hour flexibility (to meet family needs)
    Always room for growth and opportunity
    Great leadership

Cons

Can be demanding at times and require working over weekends

8. "I always look forward to solving new problems!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Tompkins International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is always challenging and almost every project assignment is different in some respects. I love working with information and using the analysis of that information to help our clients improve their operations. It’s extremely rewarding when you can assess a client’s existing issues and their future business requirements and work to develop alternatives for evaluation – and then make strategic and tactical recommendations based upon that evaluation. I am grateful to be applying my engineering skills in the real world – and benefiting the clients we work for!
    The people I work with, day in and day out, are really interesting also – there is a vast array of experiences and skills across the professional services group here.

Cons

Travel is probably the least favorite part of my job – although a lot of work can be done in our offices, we really need to work closely with our clients, at their offices and distribution/fulfillment centers. You really can’t solve some of the issues without that on-site work. Some of my co-workers actually love it – they like the travel, hotel, airline, credit card points and all.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Worst Job I've ever had"

I have been working at Tompkins International full-time

Pros

I can't speak about the work environment in the rest of the company; I was employed by the emerging technologies group in Orlando, Fl. Therefore my comments and opinions pertain to that group and a few other associated employees from other divisions: The pros of this company are few and far between, the pay is great, but you quickly learn that even the great pay isn't worth what you have to endure while on the job. The benefits are so-so, copays are high and no 401k match. I did, however get to meet and work with a few great people whom have either resigned or are looking for other employment.

Cons

Where do I begin? There were so many. The emerging technologies group has an after hours support program that is mandatory for who they decide to put in the rotation. It doesn't matter if you're in the field or off on a holiday, you were expected to answer the phone. There was no comp time or compensation for this either. Most of the other issues came from the same source: Management. First and foremost, the flexible schedule and work from home option that Tompkins is so proud of was only for a select few in the office. In my department my supervisor expected warm bodies in seats every day; no exceptions. My direct supervisor never set clear expectations on anything, and often gave conflicting instructions. Usually you only found out that you did something wrong when he was berating and belittling you about it, often in front of other employees. It was made clear to me very quickly that personal incentive and creativity were encouraged as long as they were in line with my supervisor's views. Otherwise you were expected to keep quiet and follow orders. All aspects of the projects we were assigned were micromanaged to the point that you couldn't make a decision in the field without supervisor approval, which at times took days to get. These are but a few examples of how bad things were. I could write a dissertation on the subject. All that and you had to travel extensively.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Get new management in place or you will never be able to keep talent and the division will eventually fail.

"Terrible."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Tompkins International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to work from home (for most people)

Cons

Different groups within the company have very different management styles. Some managers are completely relaxed about the flexible scheduling and ability to get work done from home, whereas the controls and automation group is chastised for not appearing in the office everyday at a certain time.
    Travel schedules for the controls engineers (or as the company calls them: consultants) are almost always unpredictable and changing. The same controls engineers that have to travel and work 60+ hour weeks are also on rotating weekly shifts for after-hours (5pm - 8am) technical support phone calls. There are no exceptions for holidays. Overall controls engineering practices are very outdated: AutoCAD, panel design, controls design, networking, etc. You will be working at least 10-15 years behind the rest of the controls industry. Very little engineering or creative freedom; you will be installing a control system that, for better or for worse, two more senior employees have total autonomy over. Even if you have loads of industrial controls experience and an engineering degree, don't expect anything more than being a copy/paste installer and programmer, even though you will immediately see tons of room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Listen to and support your integrators better.
    Learn how to accept and facilitate change.
    Train mid-level management to better incorporate ideas and improvements into the existing system.
    Emphasize addressing root causes, rather than mindlessly and repetitively fixing the same technical support issues.