Tootsie Roll Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best job I ever had"

Current Employee - Office in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Office in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tootsie Roll full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Treated like an adult. Expected to do your work without productivity standards. Given multiple chances to improve in your role. Anyone who says that they were unfairly treated is clearly a poor employee and an exception. Lowest turnover company I am aware of.

Cons

Low turnover results in few promotions. When I was hired I was told never to expect a promotion and I would be happy. I was also told my pay would never be redlined, so promotions were not as critical. True no internet at any of our desks including executives EXCEPT for the sites you need for your job. If you want to surf for fun you do have to use one of six open computers in the middle of the office. Pay and bonus based on seniority not merit.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture intact. Job is not for everyone, but it is what makes the company special.

2. "Needs to innovate"

I worked at Tootsie Roll (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and people. Was a pleasure working with the people I dealt with.

Cons

Lack of turnover lead to lack of job opportunities for employees seeking promotions.

Advice to Management

Encourage innovation and seek advice from employees who are on the front lines. Management has to get with the modern ways of doing business.

3. "Run for the hills!"

I worked at Tootsie Roll full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good.
    Free candy in the office.
    Some people are nice to work with.

Cons

People work other jobs from their desks. It is known by management but overlooked.
    Favoritism exists big time. Some people get away with everything while others are held accountable for every breath they take.
    People are cliquish.
    No room for advancement unless someone quits or dies. And then they don't even post internal jobs - you have to find out about it through other people or by looking on the internet.
    Some people have a heavy workload while others do nothing.
    People don't leave because they are paid to come to work to sit on their phone or talk all day.
    No internet access at your desk.
    Jeans are never allowed.
    Hours are pretty strict.
    Other people always watching what you do to report it.
    All departments play the blame game. Each mistake is recorded.
    People are not treated fairly or equally.
    Human resources does not communicate with the employees - benefits change each year and there is no explanation nor are you told pricing unless you ask.
    Raises are low.
    Managers are out of touch.
    Gossip is out of control.
    Unprofessional behavior is rarely addressed.

Advice to Management

Trust your people.
    Get with the times.
    Post jobs internally so people might have some kind of opportunity to advance.
    Get rid of all the dead weight - too many with nothing to do getting a paycheck.

4. "Tootsie Roll Industries Review"

I worked at Tootsie Roll full-time

Pros

Tootsie Roll Industries has great employee benefits and is a very loyal company to its employees. I had a great experience working with Tootsie Roll, not only in the jobs that I preformed there but also with the people/employees that I met.

Cons

Working at this company I felt a little held back creatively, which proved to be it's own challenge for me. Tootsie Roll is a very conservative brand not only in the office but in the media as well. Not necessarily a con for the company but for the employees it can be a bit frustrating at times. However, it gave me a chance to rise up to the challenge. In a way it helped me learn more about working within strict guidelines.

5. "Keep looking especially if you want to get into a supply chain/Distribution position!"

Former Employee - Distribution Group in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Distribution Group in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tootsie Roll full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's hard to think of some. If you have zero ambition and you are lazy this place is a big pro for you.

Cons

The distribution group works off the buddy system. The rules are not upheld and you are punished if you bring up the special treatment people get. Upper management protects those that do almost nothing while others that perform are taken advantage of. People qualified to move up will not if they are not in the popular group. Initiative is not rewarded! Taking on more work due to being efficient on the computer is not rewarded.The managers are the worst group of people to manage a distribution group.Harassment seems to be tolerated if your the popular one or have seniority. Sick days are held against you at review time. Some people are permitted to work a second job from there desk if they are in the popular group. Raises are a slap in the face!
    Everything at the company is a secret, you would think they are making bombs in the basement.

Advice to Management

Follow the rules perhaps! Maybe even give a new position or title change to those that earn it. Take the talent you have and use it .

"Best Company Near Midway Airport"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tootsie Roll full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing, dedicated people, quality company, driven to success. They treat people so very well and care about people as individuals. Family-oriented and a place that I could work for the rest of my life!

Cons

Not a lot of work-life balance opportunities

Advice to Management

Loosen up just a bit to allow for more flexibility

"If you're under 50 years old, don't bother!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Not many, unless free candy does it for you. If you're lazy and unmotivated this would be a great place for you.

Cons

Management is secretive, they don't trust the very people they hire. "Seat time" is their main concern. If you're not in your seat they WILL look for you. They manage by fear. The "lifers" don't have a clue that this company is so out of touch it's almost laughable. Don't you dare take a sick day, they give you 10 but if you take 1 it's written on your review as a negative. Your yearly bonus is not based on your work performance or company sales. It's based on what the 90 year old owner feels you deserve. There is NO work/life balance. They have not a clue what that means. Associates are not even allowed the internet on their computer. You can use one of 6 older than dirt shared computers for internet access. This area is located right in the middle of the office, so privacy is not allowed either.

Advice to Management

Retire the dinosaurs, get some new blood in there and start looking to make new trendy candy and actually hire a real marketing department. Basically, this company is as stale as the tootsie rolls being sold at the Dollar Stores!

8. "Quality Technician"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Technician in Evergreen Park, IL
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Technician in Evergreen Park, IL

I worked at Tootsie Roll full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great family company to work for ! Job is fairly easy. Great people to work with.

Cons

No stabitly. They have layoffs for the Union workers all throughout the year. Management could learn how to talk to there employees better. As well as how to treat them. Hard to move up within the company unless you have go to school and get a degree. You can no move up within Quality and they are not willing to teach new skills unless you have a degree even though most of the tests or measurements could be learned without a degree. Job can become boring, and often you find yourself with too much time in the day and your checks are done, so you try to kill time some way without getting in trouble. As well if you have all your checks done and you take a longer lunch to kill time, you will get in trouble. Don't even think about being late or leaving early as your boss will not be understanding and will threaten to fire you. Even though you have good attendance and have hardly missed. Don't work here.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better and talk to them better. Do not threaten them.

9. "Temp"

I worked at Tootsie Roll part-time

Pros

Everything there is easy, good pay, good work environment.

Cons

They hired alot of Temps during peak season just to lay them off. Management told staffing company I was in my phone, which wasn't the case, so I couldn't complete my 30 day as a temp to get hired on.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring temps just to make excuse to fire them so they won't get hired onto the union and you won't have to pay them unemployment. Get new management .

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tootsie Roll part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is free candy at all times! Many of the people who work at Tootsie Roll are friendly.

Cons

As an intern, I was expected to bring my own laptop to work. We were given as many hours as possible before it reached the point of having to give insurance benefits. The company, as a whole, is very backward, elderly, and blind to the real world. With CEOs in their 80s, it can feel like work attire and business mindset is in far in the past. I would not suggest this company for creative people who want their ideas heard.

Advice to Management

Listen to young talent and give them benefits and a computer to work on while in the office. The best way to retain talent is to make them feel appreciated and heard.