Top Guard Security Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 15, 2017

1.0
Nicole Stuart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There will always be plenty of work available so overtime isn't an issue (in 2 reviews)

• Lots of work available, even when you don't need it (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Ownership over burden support staff and account managers (in 3 reviews)

• None that I can think of; security companies have high turnover in this field, however Top Guard has the lowest in the region (in 3 reviews)

1. "Armed Guard"

Former Employee - Armed Security Guard in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Armed Security Guard in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Top Guard Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IF they had any PROS I would have listed them.

Cons

NOT A GOOD COMPANY. It's all about a dollar. Employee welfare is not any important concern.

2. "Top Guard Officer Review"

I worked at Top Guard Security full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, always a site available to work

Cons

Terrible management, they feel they are above all guards, look down on them and treat them as such. No respect after the initial first impression wears off

Advice to Management

Work on your MORALE

3. "We are not a number"

Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Top Guard Security full-time

Pros

It's a job! It is a job!

Cons

They do not seem to care about us as people, only what we can do for them. I've noticed when you need them, they aren't there, but they will be quick to ask you to work for them all the time. But do anything wrong once and you will be disciplined for it. Some site supervisors push their own agendas, and are extremely sneaky with bad attitudes, people who deserve to lose their job continue to hold their positions, while others get moved or fired even though they do not deserve it. I've seen someone at Norfolk Campus manipulate the system and get away with murder and still continue as a Supervisor while almost everyone that comes into contact with this individual gets in some sort of trouble, moved from the campus or lied on from this person, but nothing is done about it. Common sense says if everyone has a problem with this individual and are getting in trouble because of them, then you would have to think maybe its actually the one common denominator that each officer has in common. Things like this continuously lowers moral and they wonder why the turnover is high. I'm just sayin'. The upper managers are horrible at getting to know their people. And I always say if the head is sick then the body is sick. That's scripture. If you can come to a job and mind your business, stay out of the drama, and stay in your lane and do a good job/follow the rules and expectations then you will be okay working here.

Advice to Management

Learn and listen to your people. Stop doing so much talking and listen to those that you think are beneath you for a change. You will learn a lot and from here you will begin to grow as a person and a professional.

4. "Manager"

I worked at Top Guard Security full-time

Pros

Lots of work available, even when you don't need it

Cons

They drive you like a slave, expect you to put in 70+ hours and no complain

Advice to Management

Stop abusing your employees!!

5. "The Worst Security Company to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

It was a job! A job!

Cons

Management is terrible!! One account mgr is a snake in the grass!

Advice to Management

CLEAN HOUSE! Step away from the desk and get more involved in the management/staff business! They(some) are NOT treating the officers right! The account manager(s) especially one in particular. He'll lie to the officers, make empty promises, certain officers get treated differently...GET INVOLVED WITH WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOUR MANAGEMENT!!

6. "Unprofessional place of business. Do not recommend at all."

Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Top Guard Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. It's a job. It's a job. It's a job. It's a job. It's a job. It's a Job.

Cons

Treated as a body & looked to work as such. There mistakes are your problems. And there is no given help to fix them. Uninformed & Unprofessional type of work place.

Advice to Management

Try to learn some leadership skills. Leadership is horrible.

7. "officer"

Pros

management is able to walk upright....

Cons

the right hand never knows what the left hand is doing....

"Unethical and biased middle management"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Top Guard Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Biweekly paycheck and the owner's executive assistant is very pleasant to talk with.

Cons

Middle and Upper management are both unethical and lack credibility and integrity in decisions. Good officers are let go so bad officers can be give supervisory positions.

Advice to Management

Investigate complaints seriously, stop giving positions away and let people apply that have the credentials, stop telling lies or half stories when relaying messages, and stop putting officers health in jeopardy because of your personal feelings!

9. "A migraine"

I have been working at Top Guard Security part-time

Pros

Hours upon hours plus overtime if you want it.

Cons

I hate going to the office in Norfolk, everyone comes in with a frown. I haven't received my correct shirt size therefore my uniform isn't presentable. They schedule you as if you are their slave, I am not getting paid what I was told and what was written on my paperwork when I had my interview.

Advice to Management

When you're confused so are you're officers.

10. "Sign up for food stamps, if you're hired by this company. Guards told to fake security searches."

Former Employee - Security Guard in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Newport News, VA

Pros

Honestly, there aren't any "Pros" that come to mind, except maybe one, & that is... Some sites have really awesome people who work for the site you're guarding.

Cons

1st CON.. PAY: Check doesn't even last till the next check. Several co-workers are receiving government assistance, such as food stamps, as their family would starve otherwise! 2nd CON.. Management lies to your face, & tells guards to do things against protocol. 3rd CON.. Employees are not given notices of ANYTHING IMPORTANT! There is NO COMMUNICATION. EXAMPLE: If office is closed on payday, you will not be notified and therefore, you will have to wait to be paid.
     4th HUGE CON.. Guards have been told when doing a security sweep of vehicles entering armed site, you must be quick. To do so, just make it appear you're doing a thorough security sweep/search, just for show, as there are video cameras recording the entrance where the sweeps/checks are done. This "advice/order" came directly from the site security manager. He gives guards that advice/order if he thinks a guard isn't fast enough or if they're being too thorough in the searches! I wonder what the owner of that particular site would say if he knew the guards are basically told to do very slack, or outright fake vehicle searches. I only hope terrorists don't ever attempt to bring a bomb into this particular armed site cuz it'd definitely get thrthe fake gate security sweep's!

Advice to Management

Where to begin?!? After having read the other reviews on here, besides the obvious fake 2-3 that were posted within days of each other, giving the company rave reviews (obvious lies).. You need to listen to what's being said & make BIG changes, that are overdue! Pay rates being a big one! Site managers are also a problem. For example: I watched my site manager throw away the personal belongings of a co-worker, who had accidentally left an item overnight, but was coming in to relieve me from my shift, not even 24 hrs after his shift ended, when the belongings were accidentally left. As soon as my co-worker asked our site manager about his now-missing belongings, our manager looked him in the eyes & straight up lied to my co-worker, saying he hadn't seen it.. Even tho it was he who had thrown the item away, in front of me! When the manager finally left, I told my co-worker exactly what had happened to his "missing" item, but since our site manager took out the trash, the item couldn't be retrieved.. (which was a thermal shirt guards NEED to wear at this particular site in the winter). My co-worker was pretty upset because his family are barely getting making ends meet. His wife is very sick, & cannot work.

THIS "ADVICE" section alone is proof enough to anybody considering this company for employment that they need to RUN, not walk but, RUUUUN away from Top Guard Security.

I wish companies, who are looking to hire a security company/contractor to protect their business, would also see the reviews on here & other sites, so they'd see just how AWFUL, HORRIBLE, DECEITFUL, SELFISH, & CHEAP this company is BEFORE considering them as the people I'd want to protect my business.. because I am certain they wouldn't hire Top Guard .. & I bet the companies who already have Top Guard as their security, would fire Top Guard & hire a better, honest company to keep their company/companies safe. I wouldn't let this place protect my dog, truth be told.