Top Hat "company is growing" Reviews | Glassdoor

Top Hat Employee Reviews about "company is growing"

Updated 23 Mar 2019

3.8
Top Hat CEO Mike Silagadze
Mike Silagadze
Pros
  • "Free lunch is provided and there is always enough for everyone(in 32 reviews)

• "Great benefits and perks including catered lunch every day(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "products not closely aligned with market demand, over a month each year spent on data entry, high turnover at every level incl(in 14 reviews)

• "Company is growing and there is that potential to become corporate rather than start up environment(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "company is growing"

Return to all Reviews

"Rare and exciting environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Denver office (and company as a whole) provides a really amazing opportunity to learn and grow your own skill sets. What I like most about the Denver office is that we're a diamond in the rough amongst other startups in the area. While being thrown into a young 8-12 person company might be attractive, Top Hat provides something one step further. Our office provides the small team vibe and mentality that... others can provide, but we top it off with structure and knowledge that others might not be able to provide yet! At any given time in any role, you will be faced with many different challenges. One of many things that stand out to me about Top Hat is our support for one another. We have AMAZING managers who have answers and solutions to not only help you in your role but to lay the groundwork to get you where you want to be in the long term regarding your career goals.

Cons

The atmosphere at a high paced and rapidly growing company can be a lot to handle at times. Lucky, we're not approaching hiring like others might be. We're not necessarily looking for a "startup veteran" who has been in the game while! Top Hat is a great place to grow. If you see a posting that speaks to your skillset but challenges you at the same time, this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your teams and make the Denver office and overall company a better place to be every day!

Top Hat2017-11-21

"Goldilocks - just the right size of company"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at companies with 15-120k employees . Top Hat is a great size to truly have an impact in any role and still have a great time because you're part of an amazing team with a real product that's making education better... not just blasting ads in front of people or lining peoples' pockets.

Cons

Things aren't perfect - don't expect everything to be figured out. Part of the allure of joining is that you can have a big impact and for that same reason there are challenges of a growing company. Things also move REALLY fast here, even for a startup!

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee experience and people's growth. Benefits and comp are great but some of the US companies coming into the GTA are making the landscape more competitive - stay in check.

Top Hat2019-03-23

"A company (and team) driving positive change in the world"

Current Employee - Director, Communications & Events in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with - A great Canadian technology success story with huge potential for global reach - Lots of work perks - beautiful office, great location, many amenities (catered lunch every day, snack walls on every floor, lots of social events, we use the latest tech for everything) - A customer base that actually loves our product, and what it helps them achieve - The impact... we're driving is real - student success rates are improving, and professors are more effective at teaching

Cons

- If you're not used to a fast pace, or like rolling up your sleeves to get work done- you will struggle. Top Hat is for doers. - Some of the challenges you'd expect from a small, fast-growing company - for example: lots of great ideas and passion to do important things, not enough hours in the day to get it all done - Intense focus on metrics may be overwhelming to some

Advice to Management

Maintain the current intense focus on listening to employee feedback - and continue to equip managers to support their teams.

Top Hat2019-02-12

"Opportunity for Growth but Unrealistic Hours"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with smart and driven individuals. The opportunity to grow within the company. Great feedback from peers and the willingness of the company to be open to constructive feedback.

Cons

The advertised working hours are unrealistic for the amount of work that is done. The company is growing quickly and changes are implemented quickly in the company but at a rate that does not support additional training that comes with growth and is necessary to have successful implemantion. The biggest con I think is that the company can not keep up with its own growth at the moment - it happens to many other... companies as well.

Advice to Management

Reasses the amount of admin that is done on the job. Even when it is not busy, many people stay beyond the 5pm work hours to complete necessary tasks. The admin is what helps keep people accountable and in the end what the company depends on to keep on track. These extended hours should not be a culture that should be perpetuated - take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

Top Hat2018-08-28

"Incredible place to be, especially for a web developer"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

The engineering department is still small enough to know the names of everyone. The department has a big sense of community. Developers are smart and very talented. Everyone is always open to sharing ideas and knowledge to improve overall performance. Extremely easy to start small initiatives to improve the product which can eventually lead to it's own team. Striving to use the best technology to fit the... solution. Certain initiative teams are able to move quickly enough to keep up to date on latest tech and best practices. Social events are a weekly occurrence. Free lunch is provided and there is always enough for everyone. Can get a cold breakfast as well (cereal or oatmeal) and fruits. Located in between three different TTC stations (Museum, St. George, Bay)

Cons

Company is growing and there is that potential to become corporate rather than start up environment. It hasn't affected engineering, or other departments yet. A lot of focus on web stack. Making the app mobile friendly sometimes seems secondary.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job. The directors and the VP are all down to earth and open to chat about ideas or initiatives. Keep up the positive attitude and the strong leadership. It's taken this department and the company long way.

Top Hat2018-04-06

"Great growing company that is facing some growing pains (BUT is still worth it)"

Current Employee - Account Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top Hat is a place to come and learn how to be good. A lot of other companies will poach people from Top Hat because they know only the best get hired here and then the training is second to none. They also know after being here for more than 6 months you will have more experience than someone with 3 years of experience in the same role somewhere else. Awesome new Yorkville office with free lunches and great work... perks have improved the 'Startup' vibe, but make no mistake this company is at 250 employees and growing FAST so it's not 5 people in a room sitting on bean bag chairs, this company WORKS. Highlights: - fun and energetic office with lots of young and talented people to learn from each and every day - lots of room to grow - there are a lot of opportunities here to try new things and get promoted faster than almost any other company this size or bigger - they are genuinely trying to make a difference in education - and that's something to be proud of

Cons

One of the unfortunate downsides of working at the fastest growing company in Canada is that is has a lot of growing pains. Some are expected, some are entirely unexpected, but they can all be frustrating if you aren't prepared for it. The biggest pains are the high turnover and poorly set expectations, both of which you should expect from a company that has doubled in size within the year and wants to continue to... innovate and try new things. The turnover is very high, for two reasons - first, since it hires such top talent, other companies constantly poach talent from Top Hat (good for the people leaving, not for the people still here covering their accounts). Second, the quota can be high and not everyone is set up for success - trying new things with new employees has not always worked out. Expectations are not always accurate because the initiatives have never been done before. There's new managers leading new teams in a way the company is trying to test the efficacy for - this is something all startups MUST do, but unfortunately it is sometimes at the expense of employees who these new endeavours do not work out for.

Advice to Management

Try to identify what each employee expects when joining, and then continue to check in to make sure those expectations are being met and that new needs are being addressed. While short term goals are constantly set, long term development goals are sometimes forgotten.

Top Hat2017-10-13

"Great people, benefits a fast growth company"

Operations in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat

Pros

Great benefits including lifestyle, TTC, free catered lunch, snacks, monthly company events. Great group of people, high energy, opportunities to take on extra responsibility, learn new things and challenge yourself. A very high paced environment.

Cons

At times it feels like the company is growing faster than it can cope with and reacts to a lot of situations rather than pre-planning for them. The recruiting process is intense which yields great candidates but it also can lose candidates and see positions not filled in time. The company is too big for the CEO, CFO and Exec Team to take such personal interest in every business decision.

Advice to Management

Exec team need to trust the people below them more; it is not functional for every business decision to go through the CFO and CEO; Operations and Senior Managers should be trusted more to make decisions on things without needing approval, it delays things and causes problems. Management can often be indecisive or change their mind which is frustrating and has reprecussions.

Top Hat2017-03-29

"Will go far"

I worked at Top Hat full-time

Pros

Great company, good culture and easy going people. Median age is 25. Cool and Smart is the mantra

Cons

Still a start up mentality. The company is growing and needs to streamline few areas. Targets are not thought out in sales. Eventually will see getting burnt

Advice to Management

Work life balance. Work hard and play hard is not the right approach.

Top Hat2016-04-14

"High Growth. Great People. Challenging Opportunities."

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top Hat is the definition of a fast paced environment, there is a lot of opportunity for professional growth. Those looking for a challenge are most successful at Top Hat, if you find it fun to work hard and get satisfaction from learning new things every single day - this is the place for you. The people who work at Top Hat are the heart of the organization. Top Hat employees are exceptional and genuinely enjoy... each other's company and learn from one another every day. It makes for a great culture and work environment to be a part of. The combination of working for an education technology company that really is changing the face of education and having the ability to see how much your day to day impacts the growth of the company makes for a rewarding job. The exec team is passionate about the high growth and success of the company. Exciting outlook to see what is ahead next for Top Hat (the product, the people and the company). The perks are helpful too - lifestyle account for TTC and/or fitness is a big plus along with free food and drinks.

Cons

Constant changes and the rate at which the company is growing can be challenging for some. Growing has pains - work load can be heavy, long hours, high expectations and pressure. Not for those who do not take initiative/ work hard.

Advice to Management

Employees love working for Top Hat. Focus on being proactive vs. reactive. Communication across the team is more important as Top Hat grows.

Top Hat2015-03-13

"If you love technology and/or education then this is the place for you!"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Tester (Formerly An Account Coordinator) in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment that is fun and rewarding. The Toronto office is right next to the college and yonge station. We have a chef! Words cannot describe what it is like to have a lunch hour that has food prepared by a chef. This helps with moral and brings a sense of community within the workplace. Eating lunch everyday with my coworkers and relaxing afterwards with either a game of chess, xbox, or wii is the... envy of all my friends that know I work at Top Hat. It is a young and rapidly growing company, not many people can have a conversation with their executive team on a daily basis (although they are extremely busy, they are very approachable). We have unlimited coffee with tons of various flavors. We constantly plan company outings and group building activities. The majority of the people that work here are young and many of our social lives outside of work have intertwined with work colleagues. Hard work and showing that you are invaluable to the company goes a long way. Management for the most part tries to find ways to make your job easier and more efficient. I cannot stress enough that we have a very welcoming environment and quickly try and make you part of the "Top Hat" family. Furthermore, we have an opportunity to really shape the lives of students, professors, and the entire education field as we know it. This is one of the few jobs that I have ever had where I actually believe in the product, the industry, the work environment, and the people that work here. Everyone has different goals with what they want to accomplish within the company. Nevertheless, few careers allow you to balance passion with a paying the bills. If you believe in this quote then you will like working here: "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."

Cons

Issues with working at Top Hat revolve around the environment of a start-up company. Things aren't always static they can be dynamic and changes happen a bit more than expected. This is largely do to the fact that we are such a rapidly growing company and a lot of time we kind of hit the ground running. The infancy of the company is evident in many aspects of how a company should be run. However, this is not... necessarily a negative thing. Employees have many opportunities to step up and fill the void of many things "missing" from the work environment. Over time you see that you have added to the 'work culture' which in the professional world is often lacking. It is a great feeling knowing that your idea or concern is something that will benefit the whole company and perhaps an entire industry. This will be solved over time but the office is a bit crammed (work stations wherever a desk and chair will fit). However, our Toronto office will be expanding and there were be better working conditions. That being said we are currently looking into a ping pong table or a jitz table. To add more for us to do during lunch.

Advice to Management

Tap into the brilliant ideas from your own employees, we all have a wide background of experience and can offer more to the company than what is in our "job description." Better communication of the 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month roadmap so that we have a bigger picture of where the company is going. Don't get rid of Todd the chef!

Top Hat2013-04-11