TopSpot Internet Marketing Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

2.7
TopSpot Internet Marketing President David Underwood (no image)
David Underwood
  1. "Great Training & Development"

Current Employee - SEM Specialist

I have been working at TopSpot Internet Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Start off with 6-weeks of training learning the fundamentals of your respective position. Great social work environment with monthly catered breakfast and lunch, in building gym, training sessions, gaming room, event raffles, and more. In my opinion, now is a great time to join. The company is working towards developing and putting the people first whether it be employees or the clients. Management fully supports you and HR is continually improving the employee experience.

Cons

Location in the Galleria area so traffic is bad if you live outside of the loop.

"A company that had promise but has failed to listen or change."

Former Employee - SEO Specialist

I worked at TopSpot Internet Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Location is nice 2) Office is nice 3) The employees are great people 4) Extremely strong SEO training program

Cons

1) Salary. I struggled with coming to terms with my salary. Understandably, many people come out of college to TopSpot for their first job, but regardless, the employees deserve to be paid EXPONENTIALLY more for the workload. Also, even if you get told you're doing amazing and praised verbally, it is not reflected in salary. 2) Account Load. The agency lifestyle obviously means you may have to work with a handful of accounts on your own. That's not the case here. The majority of SEOs have around 30 accounts to themselves, expected to be able to manage and nurture relationships between these clients on a monthly basis. 30 accounts is far too many accounts for anyone, even the best of the best, to do their best work. Realistically, 5-10 accounts would be ideal, as that is fair to the clients as well. 3) Lack of communication between upper management and teams. 4) Micromanagement. I don't know how many times I went home in stress and worked on the weekends to meet the standards. We're expected to touch all accounts... And then we are asked why we didn't succeed? Please refer back to the 30 accounts we have. We are expected to report on every action we take and it feels like a strong lack of trust for employees with little reward. 5) Constantly changing initiatives. We are introduced to new plans, new initiatives every few months, and those are quickly forgotten. Initiatives are not nurtured and no one remembers them.

"Really needs improvement"

Former Employee - SEO Specialist

I worked at TopSpot Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Good location (uptown/galleria, so lots of nice restaurants nearby, but bad traffic) Free food and decent socials Some nice people, can make good friends Dedicated 6-8 week training program Small gym in building Great PTO

Cons

tl;dr - no REAL room for growth or creativity, management bad, no respect, treated like disposable, too much micromanaging, favoritism management is unorganized and doesn't really care to improve based on employee feedback. pretty sad considering they've been around for almost 20 years but still don't seem to have it together. they're insistent on their methods (seo, business strategy, etc) and aren't as open to higher-level thinking and new ideas as much as they say they are. they try to make themselves seem super progressive and innovative but you eventually realize they're really not that special of a company or even as a business. they're fake and shady. they have a nice training program that teaches you everything about your role but it can be messy and unorganized. you forget about it once you start doing real work but you learn things months later on that make you realize the training program really wasn't as great as they make it out to be. transparency is a big issue. management has the right to some privacy, but changes to business structure and tactics that everyone else will be affected by really should be shared way earlier than last minute. HUGE red flag: managers do play favorites and you'll end up in a hostile competition with some of your coworkers. the work-life balance is a lie and you're expected to go above and beyond your expectations to even get basic respect. most of the staff is young. most of the managers are much older. the employee setup doesn't require any ladder to "move up" (roles are mostly fixed and there's not really a place to advance in your actual role) result? reminds you of when you were back in grade school with the substitute teacher who just sat and watched over every single thing you do. pay is actually relevant to the work you do. seo isn't a high paying sector so pay is fair at this company. not great, but fair. it's a good job out of college, helps you get used to the office life and 9-5 structure. but still not worth it. plenty of companies out there who actually will treat you with respect and care about you as an employee instead of as a disposable kid. i could go on but you get it. go find another company to work at. most people at this one are miserable nobody looks excited to work here.

"Don't Stay Long"

2.0

I worked at TopSpot Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Good starter job right out of college.

Cons

Low pay, overworked, very stressful.

"Want to be under payed? Overwhelmed? Apply here!"

1.0

I have been working at TopSpot Internet Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good people Monthly birthday lunch

Cons

Favoritism Under paid No respect for time

"Good place to work"

5.0

Pros

Free snacks and drinks, free breakfast/lunch occasionally, decent healthplan, plenty of parking, gym in the building, plenty of social events and free tickets to sporting events. Plenty of PTO especially for people who've been at the company for a while. Calm, professional, yet casual environment. Very attentive to making sure everyone has the equipment and tools they need. Lots of training opportunities. Management truly wants everyone to learn, excel and succeed. The company is picky about who they hire, so your coworkers are all great people to work with and are very smart and friendly. Company is actively working on addressing people's concerns with work load and whatnot, it's taking time but it's happening, and i'm excited to see what the future holds for both the company and its employees. I'm actually resubmitting my review because of this. My previous review was concerned they weren't paying attention to the negative feedback they're getting but they are.

Cons

Galleria area traffic. This is not a place where you'll have free time to goof off and browse the internet all day, you will have a full work load and will be expected to work (I rarely ever work overtime though, and when I do it's of my own accord)

"No respect for developers"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at TopSpot Internet Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The people are great (not management) -Free monthly lunch -Free snacks and drinks

Cons

This is a terrible place to work, even more so for developers. Great if you're learning how to code but you will never grow or go far with your career as a dev. This company is good at faking the “young tech culture” so they can entice college graduates who have 0 experience and don't know any better to work here. The pay here is incredibly low and the amount of work you must do is very high. Don’t be deceived by the “young tech company culture” façade that they put on for the tour. It’s to lure you in but when you start working, you’ll find out all of their dirty little secrets. Hopefully you have better options to choose from. Developers get little to no respect from management even though we do a lot more for them then they realize. Coding is NOT easy and not everyone can do it. Technology is constantly growing but this company refuses to acknowledge that, which makes work a lot harder for everyone. This is not a progressive company, its more reactive and won’t change things until something bad happens. Doing your job here is not good enough for them they expect you to go above and beyond. Management and everyone above is the reason why this company will never grow. More than half of the company has been here for less than a year, I wonder why that is? You will get burnt out as a developer here because everyone is oblivious to how difficult coding can be so they will assign you projects with unrealistic deadlines. The people who scope the projects have no idea how long special features can take to build and expect it to be done immediately as if we don’t have other things to work on. Non-technical managers assign you tickets and act like routers between the developers and the people who submits the tickets. They have no development experience or knowledge yet they’re the ones sizing how long we are assigned a ticket and will fault you for not finishing the ticket on time. This company is just a stepping stone for most people, it’s not really a place to further your career unless you don’t mind being underpaid below what the market average is. So much potential for this company to be a decent company.

Continue reading

"So close yet so far away with no hope for improvement"

I worked at TopSpot Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Great training, regular company social events, fully stocked fridge, monthly catered lunch and breakfast, tickets to events, casual dress code, convenient office location, TopSpot clothing, in office game room and free gym. I am sure I a missing a few but those are the big ones.

Cons

From a previous review - “Keep top grading! To often companies settle for team members that are just passing time. TopSpot has been great at investing in the team members that clearly want to grow and learn. Management needs to continue to get rid of the team members that are just creating drama and looking for free Texans tickets!”. This inane comment perfectly sums up the casually condescending and dismissive attitude management has for its employees. If they don’t like you, it’s because you are “creating drama” or “looking for free Texans tickets”. The complete inability to admit people might have legitimate grievances is very telling. Please note that over 1/3 of the reviews for this company on Glassdoor are 1 star. That’s a lot of people upset about Texans tickets. This inability to respect and take seriously the opinions of the employees at TopSpot is one of the main driving factors of the high turnover. The ideal employee at this company is Boxer, and you will most likely share his fate.

Continue reading

"Overworked, underpaid. Do not recommend"

I worked at TopSpot Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Fully stocked kitchen, monthly catered lunches, work happy hours, friendly coworkers.

Cons

You will be extremely overworked and exceptionally underpaid for the work you will do. Upper management plays favorites and it shows. They put on a facade that this is a young, fun-loving company in order to draw you in, once you start working you will find it very difficult to have a comfortable work/life balance. As another review referenced, there is an employee in a management role who constantly touches employees in a highly inappropriate manner. Thankfully, I never had to deal with it but it made me extremely uncomfortable to see it happen. I felt as if I couldn't bring it up to anyone because he was in a position of power. Again, do not recommend.

"Terrific Culture and family environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at TopSpot Internet Marketing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Absolutely the best place I have ever worked. Continuous training, and a caring family like environment. I feel like everyone truly cares about me as a person and my personal growth and development.

Cons

Too much food!

Found 41 reviews