Topco Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Topco Associates President and CEO Randy Skoda
Randy Skoda

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"About to Resign After Only 8 months of Service. "Buyer's Remorse""

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Elk Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Category Analyst in Elk Grove, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a Job that Pays

Cons

Lack of Structure, No Work Life Balance, High Turn Over, Too Many, Managers, Poor Leadership. Lack of Culture, No Value Proposition, and Bad HR Department, Outsourced I.T. , No Development Opportunity, Paper Forms EveryWhere, Antiquated Practices, Not a Fun or Welcoming Culture, Crappy Location

Advice to Management

There are so many better companies out there to choose from. Why work here?Better yet- ask your manager and/ or HR that question, and I'd be willing to bet you would not receive a decent answer.

In my opinion, there is no true value proposition in working for this company. There is also no employee engagement or perks to working here. NOTE TO HR: You must do more than just pay employees to keep them around. There are too many people here who are so used to doing things "the old way". The culture here comes off as very anti- Millennial, old-fashioned, slow, unproductive, and antiquated.

This place appears to also be a revolving door. I hear about people quitting all of the time and that is not good. I.T. takes forever to respond but that is what happens when you outsource!

HR gossips about employees so please be careful of what you tell them! They talk about what people wear to work, whose a jerk, etc. Ask HR what their turnover rates are and why they can't keep most new hires around- I doubt they can even tell you the answer.

Topco, in my opinion operates like a Start-Up. No one knows anything- No one ever has an answer. Most people here don't appear to be happy with their work lives. I would not recommend this organization to work for unless you are coming here for a promotion, career change, or if you are desperate for cash and they are quick to make an offer. I doubt you will last 2 years here.

There are no fun events like Happy hour, corporate sponsored-off-site events for employees, incentives, etc., and I do not feel a true sense of culture here. You literally would just come to work, go home, and repeat. Millennials are TAKING OVER the workforce worldwide, and you must cater to their needs, and I'm not talking avocado toast! If you want to keep people in the door- act like it. Employees want more feedback, they want true value in devoting their time toward serving YOUR organization. I consider my time here over the past 8 months to be a complete waste. I have not gained any new skills here. I have only been exposed to new industry knowledge and insight on how Topco operates- which is not contributing toward my development. I feel like I am settling which is why I am resigning next month.

Processes here are basically non-existent and there is a lot of manual work that has to be done because there are so many older, computer illiterate managers here who seem to be scared of technology.

This "company" needs to do a complete transformation. Out with the Old- In with the Bold.

Managers here do not effectively promote change or drive the business forward.

Also, you will notice that the company has been sending employees emails about glassdoor reviews (asking associates to participate in them). They appear to be desperate for attention, positive reviews, and are wanting more people to hear about the company. Notice also how many of the "good" reviews seem to be recent and generic?. HR, IS THAT YOU??????We are not Naive.

"Place is a joke. There is no structure whatsoever."

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Three weeks vacation, salary is good, and there is a decent budget for continuing education. Not much more to say, but I have to type at least 20 words in order to submit my review.

Cons

There is no structure- people do what they want when they want. People are dropping like flies, even dedicated employees who have worked here for a very long time. Many "Officers" have no management background and do not know how to lead a team. If you want a solid company who values their employees and encourages feedback from their employees, this is it not the place for you. The work is stressful and you will wear all hats regardless of your role and responsibilities. There is no recognition of your hard work or ever any positive feedback from the so called leadership. Systems and processes are so outdated- expect to write everything down on paper and use excel spreadsheets when working here because even though they've invested a lot of money in new applications, they don't have a logical process in place to maintain and support the systems.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Stop taking advantage of them and start treating them with respect. There would probably be a better structure at Topco if you just listened and stopped ignoring the mess and unhappy employees.

"Member Service Rep"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Elk Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Elk Grove, IL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Normal 8 to 5 day, appreciated having the weekends off.

Cons

Had an uneasy feeling the whole time I was there. Did not feel comfortable and I was singled out as a minority and eventually let go. You can tell this company has favorites, just pay close attention.

Advice to Management

Even out the playing fields.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time

Pros

For the first several years lots of great opportunities and advancement.

Cons

Managed by one of the most evil micromanager in the industry. Treated like crap the last couple of years. Tried very hard but nothing I did or accomplished made any difference. Moved on to become very successful despite being accused of being completely incompetent.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old guard blood sucking evil VP's that no longer deserve the pay, bonus, and title they haven't honestly earned in yesrs.

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

Pros

They have a great work life balance with the workday ending at 5 p.m. I met a number of really creative and talented people.

Cons

The leadership in the marketing department encourages abusive behavior and singles out minorities, in particular. Learning who the bullies are and how to behave in their presence is key to your success. You are walking a fine line everyday. Keep your ideas to yourself and go along with the status quo.

Advice to Management

Consider empowering your member/owners with the knowledge to market themselves in this digital age. It's only a matter of time before they will figure out they can easily control their own destiny and profit with the independance.

"Not the same company as used to be before transformation."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For many years it used to be a company that kept people and provided great benefits for their employees.

Cons

Since 2014, when company start going through transformation process (Project Everest), everything was changed . They don't care about employees anymore.

"Terrible Place of Employment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Topco Associates (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working here allows you to see what you're NOT looking for in a company.

Cons

Management treats employees like chess pieces. Promotions and salary increases are dangled in front of employees like carrots, but are rarely given out. Hard work is not appreciated, but rather taken advantage of. Management does not like free thinkers or anyone who is knowledgeable in the business. They would rather push all the good employees out to bring in lower paid people who will be just another cog in the wheel. Questioning authority or bringing in another point of view is highly frowned upon. Management holds information from employees to make it appear as though they are the only success story in the office. Success of anyone other than management is not praised, but rather looked down upon. Issues are constantly swept under the carpet to make management look better. Office morale is terrible, every employee is in survival mode and is out for themselves. The office is severely understaffed and the goals and objectives keep rising. Management benefits from this every year. Corporate employees turn their eyes to what is happening in WPB because goals are being met. They don't bother to ask questions of how they're being met. Office is run like a dictatorship. The second you speak up about something, the second they begin to push you out or come up with a reason to fire you/let you go. Everything is done for a reason, head games are very prominent. Moving on from this type of environment has proven to be a struggle for many. Things that go on in this office are morally incorrect and borderline illegal (see interview questions). Instead of asking professionally, management bullies employees into doing what they want. I would never recommend this place of employment to anyone, friend or foe.

Advice to Management

Quit

"Houston we have a problem"

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun business, nice hard working people, great office and central location, unique business model, stable growth and profits. Helping consumer by providing high quality private label products at a fraction of the national brands (Kraft, P&G, Johnson & Johnson) cost.

Cons

Very high turnover, weak executive management, uncompetitive pay and compensation, little focus on career growth, inept human resource team (see high turn over), good old boy network, serious low glass ceiling. SAP implementation is crushing people. Stop checking off steps and taking attendance and look what a typical week is like for an associate; it is not pretty.

Advice to Management

High turnover is a result of the cons described above. Listen and analyze the exit interviews as there are some key areas which can be proactively addressed. Work loads for many are not manageable and work life balance has tipped to an unhealthy ratio. Rethink the HR area since that area sets the frame work for recruiting, retaining, developing and compensating associates; all "fails" that result in the high level of turn over. Plus when people leave, positions take far too long to fill which adds more stress to those that stay. People are the #1 asset yet the resources and policies which affect those people of Topco are insufficient. You have an organization that was a diamond in the rough and now it is simply in the rough.

"Worst Demand Planning Experience Ever!"

Former Employee - Demand Planning Analyst in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Demand Planning Analyst in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met a few really good people while at Topco and will always cherish the relationships built.
    Received very valuable systems training in a forecasting tool which increased my overall value.

Cons

Working with over-bearing, back stabbing replenishment analyst who nit-picked and try to find every little reason to make it look like you are not doing a good job forecasting. When incidents were brought to the attention of director level management, nothing was done. Management favored certain team members over others and basically allowed team members to be very rude during meetings, including cutting people off while they were sharing ideas.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism and be more mature managing the entire team. By doing this maybe you feel you are getting a more in-depth understanding of the team dynamic, but the truth is, your alienating team members and causing them to lose faith in your ability to provide an open, fair, comfortable place to work. Great talent will never thrive in that type of environment which has caused metrics to suffer and team turnover.

"Say one thing - do the other"

Pros

Good life/work balance. Great people to work with, but not at the executive level.

Cons

Will lie to your face, and stab you in the back while smiling. Executives make promises to members based on their whims then make everyone else under them jump to unrealistic and childish demands.