Topco Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work from home option (heading in the direction, but not there yet) (in 5 reviews)

• Old boys club where women in upper management are merely tokens (in 7 reviews)

"Topco HR, Please stop Writing Glassdoor Reviews..."

Former Employee - Analyst in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great coworkers, nice PTO, typical work hours.

Cons

Almost non-existent on-boarding process, and the transition to SAP was a dismal failure. We got a brief intro to SAP in the beginning of the process, but were essentially left on our own to learn SAP. Not much camaraderie among employees.

Also, Topco HR is blatantly biasing these reviews, so please don't listen to the top "featured" reviews, written by HR.

Jul 10, 2017 – Corporate Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your insights about Topco Associates. Please know that we take your feedback seriously and use the information you provide to improve our culture, processes and... More

"Analyst"

I worked at Topco Associates full-time

Pros

Easy commute. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Not very many opportunities to work from home.

3. "Ever growing, long established private company in Chicago NW suburbs."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people here are really great! There is a sense of camaraderie and a fast paced atmosphere of energy infused with urgency and purpose.

I enjoy the unusual perks, like a little grocery store right in our building and around the holidays we get a turkey plus a huge box of our private label products!

There are people who have worked here for over 5 years and some as long as 20, which says a lot, I think. The company is profitable and has been consecutively the whole time I have worked here (around 4 yrs).

Cons

Topco has been progressively advancing into a new business platform and we are almost to the end. This is only a con because of the constant struggles and challenges! In addition, there have been many recent changes in the performance review process. Change is good, but also overwhelming!

The concept of flexible work schedules, like working from home, are not supported. There is still a sense of a Boy's Club. (Although there have been an increase in female promotions in the last year.)

Advice to Management

As a company trying to move into the current century, it would behoove you to consider ways to enhance the workplace as much as we're all working to make the members happy.

"Great Benefits, Pay and Associate Events!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great benefits, great pay.
    awesome associate events.
    mid-sized company that feels small.
    Really starting to focus on development of associates and career.

Cons

work/life balance could improve, but managers are understanding of personal needs.

Advice to Management

Keep up the forward-thinking mentality and keep the associate development and career front and center.

Jul 10, 2017 – Corporate Communications Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! It’s always great to receive positive reviews from associates. We are proud of the benefits and compensation packages we offer our associates. We recently posted more... More

"Good company, bad middle management..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, average salaries, pay ontime.

Cons

Poor leadership and planning. no real chances for career advancement. People are completely overworked and no incentives/motivation to do a better job. Seems like nepotism is the only way to work your way up, no matter how hard you work.

Advice to Management

Moving people to manager roles doesn't mean they are prepared for it. Mentoring is not enough, please train your managers so your teams can perform better and avoid the high turnover

"Great Transition Companyh"

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous PTO/benefits package. Decent 401k match

Cons

Virtually no opportunity for upward mobility.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and vacation time and insurance.

Cons

HR obviously filling this website with propaganda, as definitely not a true reflection of current culture or opinion of 75+% of unhappy employees.

Advice to Management

Be honest and true to values of company.

Jul 10, 2017 – Corporate Communications Specialist

Thanks for your review, and I’m sorry to hear that your experience at Topco has been less than positive. Employee engagement and satisfaction is one of our top priorities. As such, we have encouraged... More

"Company with strong values and great value add for members"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong investment of resources in both the people and technology to support our business objectives.

Still maintains a great "family" culture and treats employees as people first and foremost vs. numbers.

Tuition reimbursement program is an amazing benefit that most companies have axed...for those that take advantage it can make an unbelievable impact.

Senior leadership has excellent vision for future path and proactively making changes to remain relevant and more valuable. Member investment is a major endorsement of this positive path.

Cons

Vestiges of silos still remain in some places and at times parts of the organization seem to be adversaries vs. part of the same team. This has improved but still an area that needs ongoing attention.

Clear path of advancement and development is also a work in progress that has caused many to be frustrated. Fostering more lateral and multi-dimensional career paths should help avoid more rising stars from being blocked by their existing role.

Opportunity for more flexible work from home options to improve an already strong work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Stay the course on the overall vision. Demand that top performers have a path up and that low performers / blockers are addressed.

"Topco = Good Organization"

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Want to excel for the members. Great working conditions and above average benefits.

Cons

Instituted Bonus Structure for Management in 2015 but need to extend it to all associates as soon as possible or increased turnover may occur.

Advice to Management

Management realizes there are many silos within the business and have taken steps to break those down. However, there is much work to be done and one starting point would be to cross check all functional objectives across the business and have departments formally support those objectives.

10. "Exciting Place to Work"

Pros

Lots of change has transpired over the past three years that are driving this company to become a stronger, more strategic partner. Exciting future ahead with the right systems in place, right processes and right people in right roles.

Cons

Still pockets with silo mentality and individual way of doing things versus alignment to one way of working for the membership.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path of change as progress is being made!