Topgolf Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Topgolf CEO Ken May
Ken May

Pros
  • Family mentality of associates allows for a warm comfortable work environment (in 33 reviews)

• Fun and fast paced, discount on food and free golfing (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, sucks to have to work for a tip (in 35 reviews)

• Extremely long shifts without set schedules (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Team Lead"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Topgolf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Topgolf truly cares about its associates. They have awesome benefits! With it being such a young company there are also many opportunities for advancement in the company.

Cons

The hours can be strenuous. Being a hospitality company we are open when most businesses are closed. Because of this you will find yourself working a lot of holidays.

Advice to Management

The management here is very good. They can tend to play favorites but that is to be expected anywhere. Overall this is a great place to be employed.

Sep 1, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks so much for the feedback! We are happy to hear about your positive outlook. Since we are a relatively young corporation like you mentioned, it is important that we listen to feedback from our ... More

2. "Awesome place to work"

I have been working at Topgolf part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and chill associates with a safe work enviroment

Cons

scheduling conflicts with availability and managers not present when you need them

Advice to Management

none

Apr 24, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the wonderful review! We are so glad to hear you are experiencing the Fun and Caring Culture we are so passionate about!

"If you can't handle the heat then stay out of the kitchen"

Current Employee - Culinary in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Culinary in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Topgolf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Average pay, 40 hours, Bi-weekly, Direct Deposit, Friendly Staff, Flexible Scheduling, Great place to work if you are a High-School/College Student, No U/A testing unless you are injured on the job under surveillance, You are allowed to play for free on the weekdays and you are allowed 50% off you kitchen tab (excludes alcohol), "Family Meals" are provided to all associates while on the clock free of charge. While working in the kitchen you will have consistent work and responsibilities through out the day in which you will notice how fast time goes by.

Cons

If you are a tobacco smoker then you are only allowed to smoke in the far back parking lot away from the building completely or else you will be documented on your employee file. Overtime is only guaranteed during business needs otherwise you get reduced hours and or sent home during mid shift, If you are not a quick learner and you are unable to adapt to the kitchen working environment then you will notice reduced hours consistently until you resign ("If you cant handle the heat then stay out of the kitchen").

Advice to Management

It feels like management just hires anyone for dishwasher out of desperation to fill the business needs that in which they do not find "proper" hard working "American" workers.

Apr 18, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the feedback, and we are glad to hear you are enjoying some of the many Topgolf Perks! Regarding your advice to management, make no mistake, Topgolf accepts EVERYONE. We ... More

5. "No attrition. No feedback."

Current Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Topgolf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced, good benefits

Cons

Topgolf claims that they love to promote from within. However, they leave high level positions vacant for months on end - Executive Chef, Director of Instruction, Hospitality Manager, and more, while there are people within Topgolf qualified and eager for the growth opportunity passed up, or not even allowed to interview. Very little feedback or guidance is given, if any, to people who want to be promoted. And no valid reasons on why they aren't promoted. However, they'll promote bartenders and bayhosts to Hospitality Managers, who don't come near meeting the "5 years restauraunt management experience" required (too many times to count this has happened.)
    Long hours, little to no recognition for excellent work.
    Low workplace morale - due to everyone overworked, and sooo many people quitting for better pay, or better opportunities.

Advice to Management

Senior Management - Give feedback, advice, and mentorship! No suprise that Topgolf Virginia Beach has such a poor attrition rate - almost none! You don't support and guide people who are loyal to the company, qualified, and eager to move up! You don't make them feel like part of the "family" that you claim we all are. You don't support or guide them. Managers and other associates are dropping like flies for better opportunities outside of Topgolf, and it's no suprise why. You're going to just continue losing high-quality people if you keep loading them with responsibility, but then saying they're not ready for promotions.

Apr 20, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the honest feedback. We are surprised to hear that your experience and involvement at Topgolf does not reflect the culture, and family values we are so passionate about. Make ... More

6. "GREAT FUN Company"

Current Employee - G Squad in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - G Squad in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Topgolf part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are like family love going there, it is not a job it is our home

Cons

Working holidays but is understood being a service business

Advice to Management

NONE

7. "guest services"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Topgolf part-time (More than a year)

Pros

cool location! free golf, 50% food

Cons

No tips, always short staffed, management does not follow through with promises. Core Values message is good...just not implemented.

Advice to Management

Value your employees so they dont quit all the time and leave others in a stressed out short staffed environment

Apr 24, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the honest review. We are glad to hear you are enjoying a few of the Topgolf perks! Regarding your advice to management, thank you for the insight. We constantly use this ... More

8. "Fun summer job but nothing else"

Former Employee - Server in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Topgolf (Less than a year)

Pros

Company Employee activities and discounts.

Cons

The managers only wanted to promote people who kissed their butt. There was no way that hardwork and diligence paid off. Money flow was okay, but if guest are there just to play that's all they are going to do. So basically if your used to being a server pray for a large group or family.

Advice to Management

Cherish your employees who show they are hard workers and don't take advantage. Alpharetta location lost a lot of good peopl.

Apr 21, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the feedback. We are surprised you did not experience the Excellence in our culture. Make no mistake, we continuously strive to be the best in class. Hard work does pay off ... More

9. "Bayhost"

Former Employee - Bayhost in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Bayhost in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Topgolf full-time

Pros

I mean who doesn't like half off food for you and your friends and free golf time, sometimes.

Cons

Too many "Fuzzy Agreements" between management and associates

As a bayhost you consistently have long shift 9hrs or more sometimes with hardly any breaks.

Sometimes you stay there all day and not make any money. People will play golf all day in your section and not order food or anything and not tip.

The tipout is atrocious...

Your tips go on a paycheck so you have to wait.

Cant order food on a weekend or busy day. They have family meals that are free but only at certain times and It's the same subpar food every week. Mind you if you work morning shifts from 8am, family meal is from 10-11am, then you are expected to finish a shift without eating til about 6pm. Wait we'll we did get a snack of nuts and muffins... well if the other 190 associates on that day didn't demolish them before you found time to get away.

Alot of butt kicking to move up. Literally all higher positions were given to unqualified teenagers with no experience. If you have previous experience anywhere else don't apply because they don't care.

All in all don't be a bayhost... it's slave work. Mind you pay attention to why they always have recruiting events.

Advice to Management

Find better ways to compensate your bayhost... can't expect people to live off these salaries.

Apr 21, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the honest review. We are surprised you did not experience the culture we are so passionate about at Topgolf. At Topgolf, we look out for the safety and well-being of all ... More

10. "Topgolf hourly review"

Current Employee - Bayhost in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Bayhost in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Topgolf part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such a new company with a great environment! Great tips!

Cons

Over 400 associates that work there so it can get a little cliquey.

Advice to Management

Please don't over schedule associates when they can't work, people have school and serving isn't their number one priority.

11. "Great Culture, Growing Company"

I have been working at Topgolf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leaders are very deliberate about ensuring the values and culture are brought to life every day. Lots of events and stuff going on including community outreach. Lots of food and leaders are visible and participative. Tons of ideas and new things happening all the time make it a dynamic environment and growth potential seems really good. It is a great time to get on board with an amazing company.

Cons

Rapid growth, ongoing change and a lot of new people will always lead to some growing pains - a lot going on, sometimes hard to prioritize and plan and keep everyone aligned but they try really hard to address this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - just keep moving us toward a stable, solid future with smart growth decisions and don't go too far too fast.

Apr 18, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the wonderful review! We are glad to hear you are experiencing the great culture we are so passionate about at Topgolf!