Toptal Reviews | Glassdoor

Toptal CEO, Co-Founder Taso DuVal
Taso DuVal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working remotely has its cons but still the pros far outweigh the cons in my opinion (in 15 reviews)

• There is little to no work/life balance in many departments (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best company I have ever worked for in over 20 years."

I have been working at Toptal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having been in the workplace for over 20 years this is a company that values their employees, gives them the tools for success and truly has developed a unique culture of integrating work and life. I have worked for Toptal over a year and have found that unlike any other company I have worked for they have excellent communication channels and truly embrace management/peer/subordinate feedback in both directions. I have great benefits, compensation, and room for growth that is encouraged. I have literally found my dream job and employer.

Cons

Toptal has high standards and expectations for their employees and they should not settle for anything less. It affects the morale of a team when one member is allowed to perform at a sub-standard level for extended periods of time.

Advice to Management

Toptal is innovative and changing the workplace of the future. Keep doing just that!

2. "Awesome remote jobs and community"

Current Employee - Full Stack Engineer in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Full Stack Engineer in Remote, OR

Pros

Everything works very well. The Toptal community is also very active.

Cons

Nothing cons to point out.

"Support, Honesty, Intrepreneurship, Serious Professionals"

Current Employee - Sales Development Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Development Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at Toptal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Across the board the company's core is made up of serious professionals who strive to innovate and improve the business. This is a culture of high standards, autonomy, and empowerment to go out and execute. Honesty is essential, and there is no sugar coating at Toptal. We work smart, take risks, and have a lot of fun collaborating with each other.

Cons

There are inherent challenges with remote work. Loneliness and isolation are two of the biggest. You can sometimes feel overlooked, and gratitude and compliments feel less personal in a chat instead of hearing someones voice or getting a real pat on the back. Less often but still a challenge in the remote world are that response times can be slower and collaboration can be challenging to fit around different schedules and time zones.

Advice to Management

Find new ways to make people feel closer to their coworkers. Continue to improve benefits and compensation.

"Great place to grow your skills"

I have been working at Toptal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Toptal offers an opportunity to work on initiatives and projects that you may not be able to do in other companies. We are growing fast and it allows us to see a lot of what is happening across other departments and teams. We get to work with incredibly intelligent people who really want to work on great stuff and make a difference. This is an A-player environment!

Cons

The normal bumps & hurdles when there is exponential growth.

Advice to Management

Empower your management team to be the leaders you hired them to be versus taking orders.

"Great company for self-driven, A-types inspired by kind and ambitious colleagues"

I have been working at Toptal full-time

Pros

Autonomy to do your best work, inspiration from dynamic and hard-working leaders, tools and support to collaborate and work remotely.

Cons

Being successful here requires commitment to the cause, ability to identify within yourself "What more can I do?" and a strong sense of pride in delivering high-quality work. Without these, working at Toptal would be challenging. These are more of a "heads up" than a "con". Depending on which time zone you are in, some meetings are outside of traditional working hours. To me, this is a healthy trade-off to being able to work anywhere in the world.

Advice to Management

Keep Rocking!

6. "Toptal is the future of work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Toptal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Toptal is dedicated to hiring the best. I have worked here for over one year and am very impressed with the level of talent at this company. Very happy here!

Cons

As the company grows, there may need to be more attention paid to policies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, continual improvement will only make things better.

7. "Great community"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Remote, OR

I have been working at Toptal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not only the platform works smoothly to your interests but the community working in it is just the best I've known.

Cons

More visibility once applied to a position is required.

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition

I have been working at Toptal part-time

Pros

Rapid growth creates lots of opportunities, people are great to work with, and offers a great quality of life.

Cons

Rapid growth also creates challenges

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

9. "A company with a lot of opportunities."

I have been working at Toptal full-time

Pros

Toptal is a place where you can contribute to meaningful initiatives. Everyone is passionate about growing the business.

Cons

There is a lot to get done. You have to know how to manage your time. This isn't a con, but working at Toptal is definitely not a 9-5.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Disappointing at best"

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Toptal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work remotely, decent pay, pleasant colleagues

Cons

Team morale is low. At first glance, it appears to not be a situation of micromanaging, but it turns out, Toptal has just figured out a way to automate the micromanaging process. If you're an independent worker/thinker, you'll quickly see how their system will dictate your day without any one individual needing to say a word to you. You'll be at the mercy of their automated systems.

Also, the calls with the CEO are incredibly disappointing. What is meant to be an open door/open forum call, is really an opportunity for upper management to defend any and every thing that you may or may not have a problem with. This same attitude trickles down to middle management. Suggestions and constructive criticism are met with apprehension and suggestions for you to change your attitude rather than actually considered as something constructive for the company to look into.

Additionally, don't be fooled by the allure of remote work. There is little to no work/life balance in many departments. You're expected to be attached to your phone, tablet, computer almost at all times.

Advice to Management

We've all heard the claims about the importance of improving the culture of the company, but how about actually taking action in this area? What have you done that actually just benefits your employees with no strings attached?