Toray Plastics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Mike Brandmeier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mostly good, but ..."

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Toray Plastics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Energetic workplace
    Great coworkers
    Safety conscious practices

Cons

Very lean to the point of risking failures
    Several critical paths for information and work through single individuals, meaning vacations and sick days for them may be interrupted, or business needs may go unmet during that time
    Lack of clear direction from upper management

Advice to Management

Hire more people
    Communicate more effectively
    Better explain market direction and business priorities outside of the top management committees

2. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Toray Plastics full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and flex hours.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in NPD and growing the company

3. "New Product Development Intern"

I have been working at Toray Plastics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good learning opportunity during my internship

Cons

Weird layout of buildings. Location has two separate divisions

Advice to Management

Really like it

4. "Deal with the Devil"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Toray Plastics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly good benefits, 90% paid blue cross, depending on work area -- ability to make a good amount of money through overtime -- usually can't complain about pay per hour

Cons

WORK/LIFE BALANCE IS TERRIBLE -- 12hour shifts are a trap to get you in door to make extra $$, most of management is two face - record profits are had but workers are treated as nothing matters but plastic , human resources are a joke -- many policies that would favor employees are only implemented years after being on the books (such as intermittent FMLA) -- ONLY 4 SICK DAYS PER YEAR (they will say 8, but you must cash out down to 4 at certain times of year) -- unless in management or office job raises are based on time not merit or actual work ethic --- SAFETY is key to keeping job - yet they want you to show up during blizzards etc WAY TOO MUCH OVERTIME THAT IS MANDATORY --- TOO MUCH CRONYISM

Advice to Management

Instead of promoting YES people, try promoting those with actual CHARACTER, run nights like days are so all employees are knowledgable, pay more differential for nights, give more sick time (people have families and things happen) -- be more flexible with hours worked on overtime days -- employ more employees or change vacation coverages so no employee is overworked - give employees MORE REPRESENTATION when it comes to policies and work schedule instead of always only making decisions that since they don't affect you make employees lives worse -- if you truly want ideas that will profit the company make program to truly reward employees (not a $100 presidential award that no one cares about) -- stop making safety an obvious tool to get rid of who you view as malcontent -- also stop making policies that punish all when only few do wrong (mostly in regard to sick time, but other areas as well)

5. "Great Benefits, Good Management Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI

I worked at Toray Plastics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Good management structure. Company is investing a lot of capital for better equipment and growth. A green minded company as well with its own solar farm.

Cons

If in a management position the work/life balance can be a little skewed to the work side.

6. "Techician"

I worked at Toray Plastics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, insurance, 401k, lots and lots of overtime, company events

Cons

It is really hot and the rotating shifts are awful. Day then night, day then night. The salt destroys your clothes and peels your hands.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the rotating shifts, add some air conditioning. Start investing money in things that actually clean up the facility.

7. "Overview"

I worked at Toray Plastics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is great and adequate for the work that is performed. The benefit package is one of the best out there.

Cons

Shift employees are expected to work a rotating day/night 12 hour swing shift. While this may seem attractive because of the overtime pay worked into the schedule, after a number of years, it creates both physical and mental health problems. This has been scientifically proven. This information has been brought to management, however, they have done nothing to mitigate this issue.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to really listen to your employees while you are considering your bottom line and involve them more in the consideration of processes.

8. "Good entry level engineering position."

Former Employee - Process Engineer in North Kingstown, RI
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in North Kingstown, RI

I worked at Toray Plastics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Valuable experience
    Hands on work
    Involved of all areas of the process

Like any company there were some great people (some of the best I've worked with) and there were a few bad ones (the very worst I've worked with), but when you first graduate and need experience you will put up with just about anything - so do your time and get out.

Cons

Low salary
    Tough life outside of work on a constantly rotating 12 hour swing shift
    Holidays and weekends.

The largest problem was switching days to nights every few days. Work Monday and Tuesday days. Off Wed and Thursday. Work overnight Friday, Saturday and Sunday and then it flips.

Salary is also low compared to surrounding area. Place I left for offered $20K pay increase and additional week of vacation over my Toray base. Even with differential for working swing shift, weekends and holidays I ended up making a nice bit more.

One large complaint I had was the "differential". It is determined based of your starting salary. So as you receive merit increases your extra pay for working overnight, holidays and weekends never goes up. I had a long disagreement with HR about it and was told that it had recently changed before I was hired and technically it wasn't a "differential" anymore. So I asked if I stayed 10 years on the shift I would get the same dollar amount I received when I first started and HR said yes. That left a very poor taste in my mouth - especially because at one point I was given a large pay increase to bring the pay in line with engineers in the Boston/Providence area.

9. "Good place to work if you are driven to succeed"

I have been working at Toray Plastics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are paid competitively. Culture of self driven success that rewards and encourages looking for improvement.

Cons

Fast paced work environment can be too demanding to some.

10. "production technician"

I have been working at Toray Plastics full-time

Pros

good benefits and pay. job stability and a lot of over time

Cons

Have to work on holidays, have to spend a lot years working twelve hours shift.