Tory Burch Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

2.5
Tory Burch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be tricky during promo/and holiday (in 21 reviews)

• Teams are very lean so there an be long hours (in 19 reviews)

"Photography"

Former Employee - Photographer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Photographer in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch (More than a year)

Pros

Consistent work. Pay is on or close to time. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Horrible Director who has no respect for anyone on the team

Advice to Management

Change the hire ups.

2. "HR people are unprofessional!"

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there is no pros at all..

Cons

if the the HR dept represent the company attitude, it's better to keep away

Advice to Management

people are the company asset..keep it in mind!

"Avoid!"

Former Employee - Corporate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch full-time

Pros

Great clothes discount and building location

Cons

Very poorly managed and lots of pressure from Senior Management. No team spirit, long hours and challenging work environment.

Advice to Management

Have a real strategy and build a true team spirit so that employees will stay for more than 6months.

"PM - Store Design and Construction"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome employee discount. Summer Fridays and great holidays/vacation time - if you can find the time to take advantage and use them.

Cons

For our department, it has a very high turnover - revolving door. For 2017, we have lost 5 managers for a department that has only 11 PMs. You can forget about mentoring because it’s all about finger pointing and blaming game. Also, the workload is not distributed fairly. Lastly, bonus highly depends on company’s performance. So even if you had opened 10 stores for the year on time and under budget, if the company does not reach its threshold then your bonus is a big fat zero.

Advice to Management

Have a third party auditor or HR to review each senior management’s performance. Hopefully, this will yield actual state of the department.

"Associate Designer"

Former Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch (More than 3 years)

Pros

excellent learning environment, great discount for tory burch products,

Cons

terrible corporate culture, politics, lack of respect for the work put in, no work life balance

"Great CEO and company. Not so great culture"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent discount. CEO presence in the office. Fun work environment.

Cons

Culture is not great. If you are not a 20 something year old blonde you will feel isolated in the corporate office.

Advice to Management

Need to implement Ethics and Cultural training for employees.

"awful corp culture"

Former Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Management in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have to believe that things aren't so far gone that if some changes made at the top (after all in this case, that's where this is all stemming from), they could get back the amazing culture

Short of that, I guess a plus for job seekers is that there will be a lot of openings here.

Cons

corporate culture our founder and CEO built this company on & talks about broadly, publically, is gone. Now you can expect an environment of fear, distrust, bullying. Leadership keep firing people that were just hired, and even people who quit they make excuses

In meetings with multiple people, employees / ex-employees bad-mouthed, ripped to shreds, belittled, talked about behind their backs - just bad, harmful behavior.

These are people with amazing reputations, stellar performance for years here and at other companies.

no one feels secure, wondering if their work is still good enough or if they will be next, creating an unhealthy and intolerable working environment

Advice to Management

You can't have a successful, healthy company without a strong core. If you aren't going to put your money where your mouth is, you should stop talking publicaly about culture. It's not true anymore. Also, CEO recently posted a public note on Instagram about her strong belief in inclusion, unity & respect for others. Please look internally at your company! Talk to people, find out what's really goes on

8. "Internship"

Former Employee - Product Development Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Development Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Loved the company culture! Felt like a family even though it's not such a small company. Everyone was super helpful and immediately made you feel like you're part of the team.

Cons

Need more of a structure for interns. There were plenty of times I would go in and have nothing to do the whole day (happened often).

9. "Hard to be creative"

Former Employee - Assistant Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent benefits, summer Fridays, employee discount and sample sales. Nice office location and office space looks great.

- Friendly people

Cons

(Disclaimer: These are opinions from someone who has never worked as a Designer in the Fashion industry)

- Bureaucracy and job titles dictates the influence you have. The higher ups make all the decisions, and communication trickles down the pipe.

- Not a lot of career growth and new learning opportunity for me personally. I don't think I've become a better designer. Responsibilities are only limited to the job description, and there are few opportunities for innovation and creativity.

- Messy organization, lots of changes with no logical reasoning.

- High turnover rate

- Terrible pay for entry-level jobs.

- Lack of diversity.

10. "Lack of Diversity and Communication"

Former Contractor - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I have 0 pros for working for this company.

Cons

Starting in a role that is "Temp to perm" and "open freelance" the IDEA of working at TB is exciting. Coming from a major cosmetic giant I was excited to experience the fast paced environment of Fashion. What I found myself in was a corporate setting lacking MAJOR diversity and where what you wore was considered worth more than your work productivity. Speaking to HR proves unfruitful in this company where they seek to hide and not communicate with yourself or your recruiter. Supporting senior management who lie to your face while asking for constructive criticism is common. After all you're there to do a job and do it right. Unsure if it was the color of my skin or lack of high fashion (there is no discount for contract employees and their clothing line is expensive) but there was a constant dred walking into an office in where the person you supported looked at you up and down before acknowledging your presence and being one of the few who are tanned skinned and not a size 4.

Advice to Management

Coming from a larger company - I was exposed to diversity and inclusion on ALL levels. This is what TB needs to bring talent in that is not only Caucasian. It makes talented individuals feel like they stick out like a sore thumb unnecessarily. Also when contracting an employee - please be honest with them. If they're a seat filler until you find the right fit - tell them. Don't avoid the recruiter or evade their questions. Senior mgmt - your EA is NOT a PA. While getting lunch and filling up your water bottle is ok - a please, thank you would be appreciated. Also when asked for constructive criticism please be forthcoming about your wants or needs. Don't speak ill around the company about your EA claiming your desperate to get rid of them - that's unprofessional and unnecessary. They are here to serve a purpose, don't treat your EA as if they're under you. And also please don't eyeball their outfits - remember the salary in which they're paid. Not everyone can afford the high end look.