Total Wine & More Reviews in Potomac, MD | Glassdoor

2.2
Total Wine & More CEO Adam Orvos
Adam Orvos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Really interesting environment; you will learn all you ever wanted to know about wine, beer and spirits (in 27 reviews)

• You do get to learn a lot about drinks if you care to (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Schedules are made without much consideration for work/life balance (in 53 reviews)

• Minimum 50 hour work week for managers with only 30 minute break (if lucky) each day (in 28 reviews)

"A Great Place to Start"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership will continue to give more challenging work projects to grow your skills. The most available tools for learning are through coworkers and internal people resources. It's very stable.

Cons

It's fairly difficult to make the jump from an entry level associate to a mid-level associate and nearly impossible to jump from a mid-level associate to a supervisory position. Because the company is so frugal it's almost impossible to get any external job training or development and they'd rather hire externally for mid to managerial level positions than promote within. Alongside that, the continuing education benefits are awful. This is quickly creating a 2 year turnover culture and isn't a very flexible company.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the mid level development of your team.

"Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Ecommerce in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Ecommerce in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Smart people
    -Growing company
    -New leadership
    - Discount

Cons

-Incredibly high turnover. I'm referring to the corporate office, not the store level, which is also extremely high
    -Management does not do a good job of understanding employee morale and taking corrective action
    -Work /life balance is no existent
    -The company prioritizes its growth

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We give you all the feedback you need in the survey. You cannot grow like you want to grow and have a 1990's company culture. You're trying..but the change is insufficient to keep up with the pace of growth. You need to retain talent.

3. "Great place for self-starters/motivators"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is doubling every 5 years so there is an abundance of opportunity. The company is low-tech but is starting to bring in software, which is very exciting. This is definitely the kind of place to create your dream job and then grow into it.

Cons

The two owners are very involved in the business and this can de-focus teams as they dig down into the weeds. The good news is that if you have a great idea or build something they definitely recognize you for it.

Advice to Management

Excited to see the changes brought in with the new CEO

"If you love to be unhappy this is your place"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours you want to work are at your discretion. You can choose what fits your schedule best. Just be sure you work your mandatory 9.5 hours.

Wine for life and beer for life are nice perks of you are eligible.

Cons

Too many cons to list. The main point I would like to make is the culture here is rude, angry, and never happy. I am a firm believer it comes from the top down. One of the owners is a very disgruntled person and much of the management and VPs are motivated by fear more than anything else. There is lots of finger pointing and blame and everyone's main objective is making sure your behind is covered. I have never heard the phrase " I don't want to get yelled at" more in my entire life while working here.

You are generally asked to make the impossible happen and then are racked over the coals when you don't make the impossible a reality.

The stores are understaffed and turnover is very high. I'm sure the pressure to sell our mediocre private label wine is very high and it comes across when you work with them. Most are very unhappy and is very noticeable.

Advice to Management

This is the alcohol industry. Make it a fun place to work. Why is everything so serious? I think one reason employees are so unhappy is because they expecting a fun enjoyable work environment. Instead we spent most of our days answering angry emails from VPs and stores.

"sr finance manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

if you are into wine that's the only reason one would work there.

Cons

where do I begin...long hours, underpaid, not appreciated by upper management. Alot of office politics when it comes to promotions and advancement. Benefits are so so, it seems like you are making money but you are putting average 60 plus hours a week, no work life balance. Very high turnover.

Advice to Management

this cultures comes from the owners Mr Trones, Unless they change which I highly doubt , no advice would really help.

"Depends on your manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Focus on professional development.
    *Discount on products.
    *Rapidly expanding company.

Cons

*Very poor benefits.
    *They spend a lot of time developing their talent, but do a very poor job of promoting internal candidates, instead going through the extensive process of hiring external candidates. This leads to high turnover.
    *If last-minute projects come up, you are expected to stay late.
    *Most management is professional, but you will get the occasional one who is highly unprofessional and nasty.

Advice to Management

More internal hiring.

7. "Sr. Assiociate, Market management"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, great products, free wine as a benefit. TW&M is a growing company. This can be interesting if you're into supply chain work.

Cons

Horrible location to place a corporate office. Performance assessments throughout the company are unclear making the workplace very cliquish.

Advice to Management

Establish clear performance assessment guidelines for every business unit. Recognize that not every quantity discount needs to be purchased.

"Great business, poor workplace"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay with yearly raises (Mandatory 45-50 hour work weeks make this less of a perk).

The organization is making efforts to modernize and re-evaluate its office culture.

Great people despite the aforementioned culture problem.

Nice employee discount.

Recent C-level hires are intelligent and capable, which is a nice contrast to the entrenched middle and senor management, many of whom have minimal exposure to more modern ways of doing things.

Coming soon/Now-ish depending on department: A retail office that isn't above an old shopping mall.

Total Wine certainly is a 'retail success story', as the job postings are fond of saying. The company is a marvel in terms of growth, which unfortunately makes real change unlikely as long as profits soar.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. If you are considering a career here, be aware that it is likely more of a commitment than you realize. I believe the reasons behind the 45-50 hour work week are entirely arbitrary. If not for problems listed below, the average workload could be completed handily in 32 hours or less.

Policies and culture in the corporate office are archaic. Mandatory overtime for salaried employees, vigorously-enforced 30-minute lunch breaks (who does this anymore?), and stubborn adherence to the long-dispelled belief that hours spent in a cubicle are proportionate to productivity. This along with two mandatory Saturdays in the office (or spent in-store) to express solidarity with the retail employees during the holidays.

Work processes and understanding of technology are likewise vintage (see what I did there?). Vast improvements are being made on the latter, but my department in particular was in dire need of organizational change management.

Efficiency, to say nothing of innovation, is stifled by a bureaucracy which can't make a decision unless by committee. These are the same individuals who look wistfully at the successes of other companies and wonder why the same techniques don't bear fruit under the conditions they've created. If you work under these people, be prepared for lots of rework and course-changing.

Managers claim to be flexible about unplanned life events but will resort to guilt and reprimand if you need to take personal time amidst an urgent deliverable (cheat sheet: everything is urgent, hot, or red hot because accountability is passed around like a hot potato). If you don't know where the buck stops, rest assured that it's with you.

If you find any of the above conditions are disagreeable, you are either a 'millennial', 'not a team player', or 'unaccustomed to retail', because evidently hard work only gets done in a retail corporate office.

Advice to Management

You sell one of the most enjoyable products on the planet, so it seems to follow that the job should be as rewarding as it is migraine-inducing. Many on the outside would automatically assume that the corporate culture here is enviable, but I hate to say this really isn't the case. No outside consultants or cabal of managers will solve this problem for you.

"Total mediocrity"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great wine, good core at the corporate office. Potentially changing upper management.

Cons

Antiquated middle management. Obtrusive ownership. Antiquated thinking. No consistency on following though with plan of attack.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

"Great Company with gobs of potential"

Former Employee - Senior Management in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Run by very smart people, where you can learn a lot, and grow fast.

Cons

Can be a tough culture, you need to be very smart and work very hard each day.

Advice to Management

Be aware, be smart, reward your eagles.