Total Wine & More Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.4
Total Wine & More CFO Tom Haubenstricker  (no image)
Tom Haubenstricker
Pros
  • "Coming from a wine background, I was quite please at the opportunity to learn more about beer and spirits(in 32 reviews)

• "The sampling of alcohol was nice(in 30 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours and issues with staffing(in 91 reviews)

• "Work life balance is the anthem sung but it is not real(in 83 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Total Wine & More and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

I love my job

Apr 7, 2021 - Assistant Store Manager in Mandeville, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work environment. It's a private company so the actions of ownership are not dictated by Wall Street. The owners are both amazing people and they truly care about their people.

Cons

Christmas holidays are our busiest time so vacations are blacked out during that time. Someone has to work Thanksgiving.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

excellent job to get you started in sales

Mar 1, 2021 - Wine Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

good job would recommend to

Cons

immature management,lack communication sometimes, stress

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Apr 15, 2021 - Wine Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

The management at my location was great. I was able to move up from being a cashier to a wine associate. Being a wine associate allows you many perks, and it's a great opportunity, especially if you love wine. The majority of people I worked with were really passionate about their job, or, at the very least, enjoyed coming to work because everyone was in it together.

Cons

All that above being said, the pressure for sales as a wine associate can be a bit much. This is ultimately the reason I left my position. If you aren't in love with the idea of being a salesperson, this may not be the job for you. You have to sell specific brands and sometimes pressure customers more than I personally felt comfortable to. Ultimately, at least at my store, there weren't really any real consequences to being a bad salesperson. It just wasn't the type of position I wanted to be in on a daily basis.

Total Wine & More Response

Thank you for leaving a review about your experience at Total Wine & More. We respect each employee’s unique experiences and perspectives, and we take current and former employee feedback very seriously. We are sorry to hear your experience with us fell short of your expectations and we hope that you were able to provide this feedback to leadership so that they could act on your concerns. Your comments matter to us and we will take them into consideration moving forward.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

Apr 9, 2021 - Merchandiser in Humble, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, and a lot of opportunity to do interesting things you can't do at normal retail jobs.

Cons

At least for my store - not staffed enough. I wore about 5 different hats when I was a merchandiser. Getting certifications resolves this issue, as they'll want you on the floor more often, but be ready to work hard and probably be stressed out.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Company growing too fast - people in charge don't understand the customer needs

Apr 16, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learn about some products Good relationships with teammates Customers are mostly appreciative

Cons

Too many identical overpriced products No imagination regarding customers wanting unusual or different things We build up brand that are spirits or winery partnership then they flip to national brand, and we're now asked to shill for a more expensive product that is markedly worse So many new stores are now open that the amount of WD and SD products are barely available. We sell through it fast and then the company says it needs to be on display. The following week we only get 1 case in We get to taste products to know what they taste like but only if it's cheap. If it's high end we're expected to lie about how much we like it If it werent for one particular colleague we wouldn't know anything about any product that isnt just like a bunch of others

Total Wine & More Response

Thank you for leaving a review about your experience at Total Wine & More. We respect each employee’s unique experiences and perspectives, and we take current and former employee feedback very seriously. We are sorry to hear about the challenges you are having with in-stock product and product education and appreciate the time you spent to provide us with this feedback. We also hope that you were able to provide this feedback to leadership so that they could act on your concerns. Your comments matter to us and we will take them into consideration moving forward.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

It was okay

May 7, 2021 - Merchandiser
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discount is 30 percent off winery direct wines

Cons

Erratic scheduling, low pay, lots of corporate protocol

7. 3.0

decent job for a while

May 7, 2021 - Merchandiser in Knoxville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

pay is right in the middle benefits are decent (after can secure fulltime) no mandatory overtime (exeption being holidays) flexible scheduling

Cons

communication between team members can be bad organization is a bit of a nightmare at times lots of micro management from multiple different managers telling you different things can be stressful dealing with calls and maintaining quotas on freight (which are somewhat unrealistic)

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Fun place to work where they treat everyone like family

Apr 19, 2021 - Merchadiser in Miami, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free case 12 bottles of wine every month. Easy customers to deal with. Room to grow and learn.

Cons

Too many corp visits from owners keep everyone tense during holidays.

Total Wine & More Response

Thank you for your kind review about your time with us. Total Wine & More is committed to providing an environment that provides happiness and support to all of our employees and we are glad you enjoy your team. We also appreciate your feedback and will share it with the team.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good job, bad career

Apr 26, 2021 - Wine Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Loved the team. TWM associates are generally cheerful and engaging. There is a great camaraderie around shared goals. Every store I worked in had a diverse and energetic team atmosphere. Pretty good training available, although you really only have time to use it off the clock. Managers are flexible in terms of scheduling. If you want/need certain hours, or even to transfer to a different store, they are generally willing to make it happen. Free wine and beer 10 months per year. Not bad at all. Discounts on wine, beer, food, gifts. One of the best perks and why I would say this job is great for part time.

Cons

Low pay. Had to work 50 hours/week to come close to my previous job. And even though they guaranteed me 50 hours when I interviewed, I almost never got that many. Limited advancement opportunities. During interview I was told I would be promoted within 6-9 months. What they actually did was make me an "acting manager" at another store for 6 months. No pay increase, additional responsibilities. After 2 years there were open manager positions at every area store and I was asked once again to work as an "acting manager" for a period of 2 months. Managers are not equally yolked. In a non-spirit market you're essentially split into two sides, sales floor (wine) and front end. The sales floor is responsible for selling WD (literally THE only metric total wine cares about), stocking shelves, setting endcaps and merchandising the aisles. Front end is responsible for not selling to minors and keeping registers tidy. When you're busy you can have sales people pulled off the sales floor and onto the registers, but never the opposite. Crazy workload, very physical. During COVID TWM asked their store teams to do a great deal of new work, adding curbside pickup service, an incredible increase in online orders and daily cleaning routines for the entire store. What did TWM give their employees in return? A temporary pay increase (that was not even available to most of the new hires). The company as a whole had their best year ever, blowing every metric out of the water, and they didn't even take a moment to celebrate. It was just "On to 2021, more goals to beat!" TWM does not care about individual employees at the store level. I didn't want to leave, but I knew when I gave my notice that would be it. No counteroffer, no exit interview, just a handshake and out the door. In theory I should have been the type of employee TWM would want to keep -- I had done their leadership training, wine and beer certifications, did not call out for a shift once in 2 years... but it doesn't matter because they just view store employees as cogs that are easily replaced.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience at Total Wine & More. We take perspectives from both our current and former employees very seriously, and we use your feedback to create a better environment for our workers. Our employees are the reason we have been continuously growing and making an impact on our customers and communities. We’re disappointed to hear that we fell short of your expectations and we are committed to improvement in this area.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Long hours, but if you love Wine & Spirits, this is where you would want to be

May 1, 2021 - Store Manager in Shrewsbury, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Industry with the leading company in that sector

Cons

Too many Hours. Typically at least 55-60/week. Days off change all the time, so don't make plans.

Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review about your experience at Total Wine & More. We take perspectives from both our current and former employees very seriously, and we use your feedback to create a better environment for our workers.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,060 Reviews