Cover image for Total Wine & More

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Total Wine & More Employee Reviews about "coworker"

Updated Nov 25, 2022

Found 1,563 of over 2K reviews
3.3
52% Recommend to a Friend
55% Approve of CEO

3.3
Total Wine & More CEO Troy Rice (no image)
Troy Rice
Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Add a review It only takes a second to share your experience. Your information will always be anonymous.

What people are saying about Total Wine & More

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Hire great people and let them grow the business.(in 70 reviews)
  • "My coworkers are great and helpful and work great as a team(in 54 reviews)
  • "Some good benefits related to the job(in 47 reviews)
  • "Great training learn lots about their products(in 43 reviews)
  • "Fun work environment for new graduates(in 22 reviews)
Cons
  • "Total wine and more gave me an eye opener of the realities of poor management.(in 138 reviews)
  • "The pay is low compared to other hourly jobs especially for how much work is expected.(in 108 reviews)
  • "If managers don't like you, they WILL gossip behind your back and spread rumors.(in 96 reviews)
  • "The long hours and not stop last minute tasks.(in 78 reviews)
  • "There is no work/life balance with many long shifts (10 hours plus) with little time in between.(in 62 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Total Wine & More and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "coworker"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great poace to work

Oct 6, 2022 - Front End Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Tough customers sometimes, but nothing to bad

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A good place to be 4.5/5 stars

Nov 9, 2022 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

.Good and flexible hours .Good OT if you want it .Great coworkers .Great products that you get to taste and take home for free (a case of wine a month for full timers) and they also reward you for a good days work with a bottle on occasion. .They take care of their employees. If you’re doing your job right and showing up, they’ll be fair to you and grant the time off you need. .It’s easy to advance. Just express interest and learn your products and you can join the management team within a year. They are expanding fast so it’s easy to find yourself in the management team of a new store if you’re good at this.

Cons

. If you’re full time, the holidays can get demanding with very long days and high store traffic. . There was some drama at other stores with the management team. Not at my current store but there can be some toxic management in some places within the company.

3. Join the Total Wine & More team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

This place is not great

Nov 14, 2022 - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

$200 worth of wine every month if you are a sales associate, supervisors, or a manager Benefits are decent but they were better when I was first hired.

Cons

Where do I start? The company is run by a bunch of out of touch Boomers who refuse to acknowledge the ever changing landscape of the alcohol industry. But I guess you can do that when you are the equivalent of Walmart and you just simply starve the competition out of business. All attempt at DEI are a complete and total joke. Management and sales teams do not reflect the communities they serve. When the company misses sales projections, they blame field management even though all evidence points to the contrary. For example, when news of the pandemic broke, people were buying ungodly amounts of vodka, Everclear, and other neutral grain spirits to make hand sanitizer. When vodka sales finally plateaued and started to revert back to pre-pandemic levels, the field was blamed for the decline in sales as if the pandemic wasn't the initial cause of the spike in the first place. This is just one of the many examples of C-Level Execs having no clue of what they're doing. Either you're too stupid or you're in on it.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Committed to Team Member Development

Nov 22, 2022 - Front End Supervisor in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Total Wine is very committed to developing and training those that want to continue their career with them.

Cons

However, during my two years with the company I noticed very few internal promotions and the few that did move up had to fight hard. They seemed to value outside hires more than internal promotions, which is a big reason I left. Mostly the move from the stores to corporate were lateral moves unless you'd dedicated years to the company.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very woke company

Oct 6, 2022 - Assistant Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great product discounts 30% off WD wine

Cons

Horrible work/life balance very political very woke agenda they force this DEI lifestyle on you and if your not for it your labeled a bad person by the District company has a lot of snowflakes who cry wolf repeatedly!!! So there is zero accountability to ever be held when everyone says they feel threatened and need a conversation with corporate . For low morale in the stores no internal movement all they do is move you from location to the next instead of promoting. Worst plan is all they do is gauge you on WD SD forget policy and procedures but if your not hitting either of the numbers your screwed freight constantly backs up so the nice old-school button downs you wear will be trashed in a week your not in management your just the poor sole in the complaint department who has to deal with all the issues so they don’t go to qualtrics this also one of the most unsafe companies I worked for. There is no clear cut 6 month vision just the flavor of the month

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Spread Too Thin

Sep 21, 2022 - Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

-TW allows for a lot of positional movement, just be willing to relocate -TW is big on education about wine and spirits, if this field interests you, the sky is the limit -Unique strategy for sales and merchandising, great learning opportunity for new business graduates

Cons

-TW spreads their employees too thin, 10+ hour days required with minimal spots for breaks due to lack of proper employees in the proper places -TW sees stores that are struggling in one form or another and their response is to add more responsibilities rather than provide support to the team in that store -TW uses no platform to have a conversation with your whole team as a supervisor, if I wanted to broadcast a message to my entire team… I had to hope that I worked a shift with each member of my team and I remembered what my announcement was, this also applied to store-wide policy changes that would slide through the cracks because certain pockets of people wouldn’t hear them

8. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great company

Nov 21, 2022 - Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the best company that ever work.

Cons

Holiday season is very busy.

9. 3.0
    Current Employee

Could be so much better

Sep 1, 2022 - Retail Casher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty flexible with my schedule although they have scheduled me out of my availability many times. Easy job. They don't require much from cashiers Discount is nice. They give away free $10 bottles of wine when we are reaching our goals for the day

Cons

Management acts like they care about you, but they don't. They don't pay their long-term employees well. They'll have older employees making almost the same as when they started(30-50 cent raises in yearly performance reviews), then go and pay new employees like $2 more. They lie about this whenever you bring this up. They hate when you talk about pay, because they know what they do is scetchy. If you're a cashier, don't plan on learning much from anyone. They don't care to inform cashiers on anything. Its very much a man's world. The men sit around and chat while all of the women are working their butts off. Management is sexist, and racist, and don't call people by their non-binary pronouns. They once used a trans persons dead name in the schedule, more than once. Never apologized. I haven't seen a POC work longer than 4 months, unless they can be considered "white passing". Customer called black employee a foul word and management did nothing. Didn't stand up for her or anything.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Wine lovers

Nov 8, 2022 - Senior Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Treats employees and contractors the same during holidays sharing special wine and other drinks.

Cons

Nothing crazy that I think of. I would say usual retail IT work place

11. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Not bad, long hours though

Sep 24, 2022 - Assistant Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay Good crew Clear business strategy Room for innovation

Cons

Mandatory OT Poor work/life balance No work time consistency

Viewing 1 - 0 of 0 Reviews
    Join the Total Wine & More team
    </>Embed

Popular Careers with Total Wine & More Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Total Wine & More? Share Your Experiences

Total Wine & More Careers

Cover image for Total Wine & More

Step into a Total Wine & More store, and you will be sure to meet some of the most passionate, motivated and talented teams in the...More

• Corporate
    • New Stores
    • Benefits
    • Philanthropy

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

5 days ago

Company News
    We’re thrilled to announce our 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 Store Support Center office in 𝐁𝐨𝐜𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐧, 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐚 is officially 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧! We are excited to see our Florida team members reunite in their new state-of-the-art building, which will serve as a hub for our digital and technology professionals. We look forward to the 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐭𝐡 to come. #Herewegrowagain
    Shared image

21 days ago

Culture
    Cheers to our 2022 𝐂𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐄𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐋𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬! A key component of our commitment to fostering growth, Emerging Leaders is an immersive development program designed to help new leaders prepare for the next stage of their career—and beyond! This year, 200+ team members were selected to participate in this 3-month experience, spanning 5 workshops focused on building leadership competencies. 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐮𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬! 🥂
    Shared image

Total Wine & More Photos

+ Add Photo
    Total Wine & More photo of: Who doesn't love the Yellow Tag Event?
    Total Wine & More photo of: "Love What you Find" at Total Wine &amp; More
    Total Wine & More photo of: CEO Troy Rice enjoying the Ice Cream Social at the SSC
    Total Wine & More photo of: Napa Wine Trip 2022
    Total Wine & More photo of: Kendall Jenner visit
    Total Wine & More photo of: Eva Longoria visit
    Total Wine & More photo of: Ignite Graduation - Our leadership training program consisting of team members from the Field and SSC.

Expert Career Advice

Southern Wine & Spirits of America Logo
    Southern Wine & Spirits of America

3.1

Compare

Glassdoor has 1,608 Total Wine & More reviews submitted anonymously by Total Wine & More employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Total Wine & More is right for you.