Total Woman Gym and Spa Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Then corporate management got replaced in a snap with an entire staff from Jenny Craig (in 8 reviews)

• Are not willing to make people full-time employees, no benefits, low pay with no chance for raises or mobility (in 5 reviews)

1. "Poor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Total Woman Gym and Spa part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clean environment., ample parking lot.

Cons

Poor management. Unprofessional staff at front desk.

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of the employees and clientele.

Sep 21, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you very much for your feedback. As a current employee, please feel free to reach out to the HR department for assistance if you or our members are experiencing trouble with any employees. We... More

2. "Membership Sales"

I have been working at Total Woman Gym and Spa full-time

Pros

it is like a family

Cons

there is no paid time off

Sep 21, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I will pass along your comments to the executive leaders.

3. "membership associate"

Former Employee - Membership Associate in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Membership Associate in Torrance, CA

I worked at Total Woman Gym and Spa (More than a year)

Pros

At Total Woman Gym & Spa one of the most positive things was the pay. We recieved a base pay and commission.

Cons

I did not enjoy the lack of team work and gossip amoungst employees. There was also a lack of leadership within management.

Advice to Management

You are only as good as your staff so treat them right, prepare them accordingly and listen to their concerns regarding the business.

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you had a negative experience. There have been management changes in the Torrance club during the past year because of people being out. This can lead to... More

4. "Good environment"

Current Employee - Massage Therapist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Total Woman Gym and Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love being able to massage and have a flexible schedule

Cons

The benefits are atrocious.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your benefit provider that includes ppo plans

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you very much for your feedback. I understand the concern about the benefit's offerings. With a mainly part-time workforce, we don't have the buying power that one would think we could have. As... More

5. "Lack of Stability"

Former Employee - Head of Sales in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Head of Sales in Alameda, CA

I worked at Total Woman Gym and Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount on personal training, and spa services. You get used to the regulars, and it's nice when they start to recognize and appreciate your hard work. Other employees at the same store know the struggle and relate to you, they're welcoming, but I wouldn't get used to seeing them around every day.

Cons

Management is not stable, there was a time where we didn't have a manager at all. It's all about numbers, not really the customer service. No room for promotion, unless someone leaves/is fired - after you always have to pick up the pieces with barely any help. Everyone worked overtime.

Advice to Management

Find stability. Encourage growth. Constant check ups on each location.

Sep 25, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. Your information will be shared with the executive team. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

6. "CSA. Be careful"

Current Employee - CSA
    Current Employee - CSA

I have been working at Total Woman Gym and Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will make friends. Not labor intensive. Free gym membership. The housekeepers are some of the kindest, most wonderful people you will ever meet.

Cons

Extremely poor management (GM) and corporate very out of touch because when they come in the management pretends like everything is wonderful. Overwork and take frequent advantage of employees who work hard. Very poor compensation and lack of respect from GM for both customers and employees. Commission is only 5% for CSA's (it is 10% for other employees) and almost not worth it. They push you very hard to sell so that the GM can get their bonus but you see very little benefit. Should be paid much more ( at least in commission) for how hard they push us to sell. You can work here full time and only make 1200 a month. Very poor pay. Very unlikely you will move up and if you do it is a lot more work for only a dollar more per hour. Some clients are wonderful, but get used to being yelled at least once a day by someone blaming you for something that is usually management or corporate fault.

Advice to Management

Our particular GM is very difficult to work with and frequently is unkind to clients and employees. She told one client that "no one likes her or wants her here," confirmed by several girls who were in the room. Gossips, Lies constantly and doesn't take ownership for anything. Long list of stories of mistreatment and caddyness. We had a different GM when I started and the environment was much better between employees. Many employees want to quit or have quit because of her. I know other branches have good GM's but we have a very hard time with the one at this branch and employees are too fearful to tell corporate about a lot of the things that go on. Raise commission for CSA's to 10% so that they are more motivated to sell, reconsider how you monitor your GMS. Ask the lower level employees about how they are feeling instead of the management because the management is frequently putting on a show when you come in.

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you very much for your feedback. We encourage you to reach out to HR for assistance and advice if there is a management issue. We are here to listen, guide and advise all employees. Like you... More

7. "Personal Trainer & Pilates Instructor"

I worked at Total Woman Gym and Spa full-time

Pros

- flexible schedule
    - free gym membership ( gym was kept very clean)
    - coworkers were wonderful
    - discounts on merchandise, spa treatments, training
    - most members where nice to work with

Cons

- corporate was getting to controlling
    - only got 40% take home (normal though for working at a gym)
    - only contributes $150 a month to benefits
    - no 401K offered for full-time trainers
    - if did not make sales goals for quarter would be put on probation
    - turnover high for trainers

Advice to Management

- sales fluctuate since this is a luxury for most people so some months are not going to have as high of sales -this shouldnt be the trainers fault
    - think about independ contractors as a possibility

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the club you worked for and it's unfortunate that the salary and benefit compensation didn't meet your needs. TW does have a 401(k) for... More

8. "1 Star is too many"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Total Woman Gym and Spa part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many years ago, Total Woman was an amazing company. I met some talented co-workers and delightful members.

Cons

Late in 2014 there was a complete turnover at the corporate office. Everyone who had ever worked inside of an actual gym or spa was released from employment. The entire corporate office was filled with sorority sisters from Jenny Craig. If any of these women would have worked in a club and learned the day-to-day challenges for the employees in the club, then they would probably have been more successful. But they came in with their ideas, none of which worked, and they destroyed the entire company. The only good thing that happened in this time period was that we got an amazing General Manager at my location. Too bad they had her working 12 hour days and blamed her for our club not doing well when no other club in the company was doing well either! The mean girls basically pushed her out the door.

Advice to Management

I want to say: Shut down the company. It's beyond salvaging. The Jenny Craig sorority forced out the majority of good employees and destroyed the morale of those who remained. I tried to hang-in for as long as I could, but even though the Jenny Craig team is gone, the damage was already done. Our replacement General Manager is likable enough, but she barely works a 40 hour week and makes minimum wage employees deal with member issues instead of handling them herself. So my advice would honestly be to call up the top performers from previous years, make an apology, and beg them to bring their talent back to the club.

Sep 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you had a difficult experience during a large company transition a few years back. Because everything discussed in your review is more than two years old, I... More

9. "Not a Massage Job - a Sales Job"

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Glendale, CA

I worked at Total Woman Gym and Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a job in which you come to work, massage for a certain number of hours and push the products they tell you to sell, this is the job for you.

Cons

I understand that this is a chain, and the experience you will have as an employee is completely dependent upon the location manager. I had a dreadful experience and I can't believe I stayed there for two full years.
      We suffered from a lack of basic supplies on a regular basis. Often we didn't have any sheets in the cabinets in the morning (not a great start to the day) which was tough if we had a client right away. We were always taking working clocks out of another room, since clocks would run out of batteries and stay that way for weeks despite asking management for new batteries. We didn't even have a professional heated stone heater - what we did have was a dubious looking piece of equipment that heated the bottom side to scorching levels while the top was barely warmed. I'm surprised that no client (or therapist) has gotten injured from that yet. This "stone heater" would take a half hour or more to heat up which was not great if you had a heated stone client first thing in the morning.
      There was no standards in training - more than once I was booked for a client that got some kind of body scrub or other spa service that I wasn't trained for. The manager took me into the back before the service, threw a paper outline of the treatment procedure at me, handed me the products and gave me 5 minutes to figure it out before doing it on the paying client.
      On paper we had ten minute breaks in between clients. In reality, you were lucky if you had two minutes since you had to wait for the previous client to get up off the table, clean up the room, grab the next client, do some kind of intake as fast as possible and wait for that client to get on the table. There was no extra time for heated stone sessions to wash the rocks in between clients. If you were booked solid, you pretty much had no breaks for the entire day, if you weren't booked solid, you were making minimum wage.
      Which brings me to the low pay. I was under the impression that as a massage therapist, I would be paid a certain amount for the massages I did and a certain amount for the hours I was there at work (since I was an employee). Apparently that was not the case - paychecks were a lot lower than I thought (and hoped) they would be. Many massage therapists there worked two or three other jobs just to make ends meet. You only got benefits if you worked a ridiculous number of hours.
      There was enormous pressure to sell products whether the client needed them or not. I am a massage therapist not a sales person! They really wanted you to be both.
      The turnover rate for massage therapists was extremely high; in a two year period, I became the most senior massage therapist on staff - everyone else who was there at the beginning of two years had quit.
      Now, I do admit this review is a little old (I was employed there several years ago), and maybe things have gotten better since then, but I am sharing this for two reasons - one - prospective massage therapists should know that if they are unhappy with the conditions at the spa, don't wait for it to get better because it probably won't. If the spa manager is not good, the working conditions will not be good. - two- I see that Total Woman HR has been looking and responding to these posts lately. I hope they will listen and do something to improve the conditions for their employees.

Advice to Management

Corporate HQ should ask the massage therapists and location staff about the problems and needs the employees are facing, not the location manager, who likely knows nothing about massage (or facials etc) in the first place. Investigate locations with a high turnover rate - find out why it is so high. We were constantly hamstrung by a chronic lack of supplies we needed to do our job. Give us the basic supplies to do our jobs. It would also be nice to restructure the massage schedule so that therapists get actual breaks in between clients, but I don't know if that's going to happen (that's not going to make Total Woman more money, so I doubt it.)

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for the feedback. We will be sharing your comments with the Executive Team. I'm sorry I will not be able to address any specifics because many practices have changed for the better over the... More

10. "Personal Trainer"

Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer

I worked at Total Woman Gym and Spa (More than a year)

Pros

The business plan if all women can create a close common community for both employees and clients. The facility is built fir and by a woman CEO.

Cons

The approach to employees is a push to sell. The ability to make commission on minimum wage makes a strained financial potential.

Advice to Management

Financially reward for talent and ability to retain clients with quality and integrity, not the hard sell. Attract talent with better compensation(40% as the high commission is pathetic).

Jul 24, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. Your recommendations will be shared with the executive team. Good luck in your future endeavors.