TouchCommerce Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Bernard Louvat

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Completely positive work environment (in 7 reviews)

• There are no pros to list for this company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries are low compared to other tech companies in the LA area (in 6 reviews)

• No respect is given to any of the full time employees (or most of the agents for that matter) (in 4 reviews)

"The Daily Grind"

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time

Pros

• Salary is ok
    • People are great to work with

Cons

1.) Be prepared to work an average of 10+ hours a day
    2.) You may need to work on the Weekends
    3.) Lack of communication
    4.) Has been purchased by Nuance (as of January 2017)
    5.) Little room for growth

"Average and a bit stagnant"

Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at TouchCommerce (More than a year)

Pros

Easy hours
    Many kind and helpful co workers
    If you are interested in chat, this is your place
    Pretty much owns all telecom business
    Good area to live, as far as LA goes

Cons

Remote workers, especially senior, are known to be skaters, except to management.
    Very limited scope in what the company does - chat only. You might restrict your opportunities in the future.
    Backstabbing by old timers is encouraged and supported by upper management.
    Salaries are low

Advice to Management

Innovate something that actually sells. Get rid of the toxic people who limit new ways of thinking and avoid changing their ways to basic best practices.

"TouchCommerce is Horribly Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My happiest memory of working at TC was when I packed up my desk on my last day of work after finding a job at another company. Best decision I've ever made.

Cons

Working at TC will make you go insane. You'll be wanting to pull your hair out after having to deal with the clowns that run this place. The rank-and-file employees are great for the most part, but if you have to deal with anyone in management, forget it. Unfortunately, the most important decisions about how the company is run is made by these jokers, so everyone ends up suffering in the end due to their horrible judgments.

Everything about TC is lackluster: their technology, employee pay, benefits, office space...I could go on and on but there isn't enough space here to detail how terrible this place is!

My advice to anyone even remotely thinking about working here: steer clear!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. You might even learn something about how to properly run a business!

4. "QA Analyst"

I have been working at TouchCommerce full-time

Pros

Good working environment and good vibes.

Cons

Low pay and very little room for evolution.

5. "Whatever problems there were in the past, they aren't there now."

Pros

Plenty of room to grow. All the tools to succeed. Small fish in a big pond since the Nuance acquisition. Cool technologies if you find the right team. Great culture, fun office.

Cons

The Nuance acquisition has not been the smoothest. Benefits and PTO got considerably worse. The onboarding experience could be a lot smoother, to say the least.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the gym - there's pretty much nothing in there! Get a squat rack! Also, the building is rather run-down. It certainly doesn't feel like a high-profile tech company. The orange word-cloud logo on the walls is busy at best, and resembles something much worse.

"TouchCommerce will take your career into a downward spiral"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I have been working at TouchCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an onsite gym, but it smells nasty and has old equipment that few employees use.

Cons

The recent acquisition by Nuance has only solidified TouchCommerce's reputation for being a horrible company to work for. The pitiful benefits that existed prior to the acquisition have only worsened and many employees continue to question how much more mediocre the company can become. Lack of communication and cooperation between departments continues to be a serious issue.

Anyone who's thinking about joining this awful place should think twice before they resign themselves into taking a huge step back in their professional career.

7. "Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Administrative in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They work hard but the company has many events, yoga, and a gym to ensure a positive work environment

Cons

There were no cons at this job! I have only positive things to say about it!

Advice to Management

Stay the same great way you are!

"TouchCommerce recently bought out by Nuance - In the ensuing months this will be a different company."

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time

Pros

Flexibility schedule wise if you are not a chat agent. Yoga, walk/runs, cross-fit, office parties and such. Working with Fortune 100 companies also looks good on a resume. casual dress, scenic location. I was paid well some; people are not.

Cons

Middle management is rife with office politics. Most middle managers are not qualified for what they are doing and got their jobs suspiciously. Profit margins are TIGHT thus "chat sales agents," who dialog with customers, are managed like the "rowers on a viking ship." (They are paid $13.00 an hour though.) The work is boring from top to bottom and the socially, culturally I found many people there to be woefully boring and as one reviewer put it, "vulgar."

Advice to Management

I like the CEO, I was told he saved the company during the real estate crisis of 2008/2010 by procuring a slew of European clients and $9-million in additional funding from a venture capital group. He is affable and kind. I feel the company has primarily floated upon his back and that of the sales and finance teams since then.

Since that time the company had a window to pivot into something bigger (e.g. SnapChat, WeChat or otherwise) but a lack of vision and a CTO married to an interface framework called MXML held the company back tech wise. (MXML is an interface language created in 2004 by Macromedia and now, IMHO, laughably obsolete.) I bring this up since more advanced communication applications like Viber, Snap Chat and WeChat have become billion-dollar companies with fast and functional products even though TouchCommerce was doing chat years before they were.

Operations: The COO is very good at running "chat sales agent" teams and their offshore counterparts. It's a tight ship and ran very well. The lights are on and the bills get paid, however, I am astonished that both Finance, Operations and the CTO allow the company to pay for numerous Dev teams when only one, or possibly two of these teams are producing any sort of a return on investment.

Finance: Never missed a paycheck and the company was sold to Nuance at around $208-million; $80-million cash, the rest of the payment in Nuance stock I believe. A notable accomplishment considering the weak front end technology they use is not very flexible.

Some middle management teams below the highest levels are demonstrably weak. These teams include Client Service Managers whose members have been known to embarrass themselves often in work meetings and otherwise. The employees these managers "boss around" are generally more effectual than they are and could arguably lead themselves better if they had schedules and benchmarks rather than treated like emergency "short order cooks." (emphasis on some not all.)

Another glaring example, TouchCommerce has managers who work form home most days/weeks/months completely MIA during a crunch. (I think two or more live out of state and some of them I don't even know what they did?)

My advice is to tightened them up by allowing their "underlings" to do performance reviews on them. I advise that weak managers be put back where they were last doing well or get rid of them; client retention is at risk... I kid you not.

Finally, I left when the company apexed as a business. The true equity within the company was from the gigabytes worth of chat transcripts that can be data-mined to potentially create an A.I. "chat bot," (This is an ambitious goal and the jury is out if it can be done). Next is the client list: Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon. These contracts are the the dollar making assets. They have not become a player in any other industry outside of telecom and it was time to move on.

For Human Resources: I suggest H.R. adopt a 360-degree feedback where employees can rate their bosses. this will ensure less low morale.

"Just don't"

Pros

free food and beer sometimes, some work from home opportunities

Cons

Management is horrible, they encourage promotion from within but completely pass over the qualified employees who are excited about moving up in the company. They will give vague reasons for not moving those employees up, tell them to keep applying, only to deny them an opportunity every time. Get used to creepy dudes hitting on you. I've seen over 100 people quit or get fired in the small amount of time I was there.

Advice to Management

Don't assume people don't understand Spanish, especially when you say stuff like you'd never hire a woman. Make sure the Quality Specialist team can pass a simple Grammar test. They are the ones making sure the Agents are doing their job correctly. Higher commission rates would keep agents motivated.

"A Vile Workplace"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Agoura Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Agoura Hills, CA

I have been working at TouchCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has finally been acquired. The CEO has accomplished his goal of selling off the company without having ever grown it into something substantial. His "golden parachute" is being prepped and he's ready to jump out off into the abyss.

Cons

Anyone who works at TC and has been with the company for any length of time knows that it's a vile place to work. People roam the workplace floor with frowns on their faces and morale is consistently low. Upper management couldn't give a rat's behind about how the employees feel - especially now that they're getting ready to cash in on the acquisition. Layoffs are likely and the hardest working employees will likely be adversely affected while the lazy unintelligent ones remain.

Advice to Management

The best thing that Nuance can do is to lose all the upper management clowns that have driven this company into the ground! Hopefully they'll do so once they realize how awful they are.