TouchCommerce Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bernard Louvat

Pros
  • Good work life balance, except when we have a big client launch (in 9 reviews)

• Completely positive work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No respect is given to any of the full time employees (or most of the agents for that matter) (in 4 reviews)

• Unlimited PTO sounds nice but it's really a fancy way of saying your manager controls 100% of any vacation request you may put in (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Administrative in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They work hard but the company has many events, yoga, and a gym to ensure a positive work environment

Cons

There were no cons at this job! I have only positive things to say about it!

Advice to Management

Stay the same great way you are!

"TouchCommerce is Horribly Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My happiest memory of working at TC was when I packed up my desk on my last day of work after finding a job at another company. Best decision I've ever made.

Cons

Working at TC will make you go insane. You'll be wanting to pull your hair out after having to deal with the clowns that run this place. The rank-and-file employees are great for the most part, but if you have to deal with anyone in management, forget it. Unfortunately, the most important decisions about how the company is run is made by these jokers, so everyone ends up suffering in the end due to their horrible judgments.

Everything about TC is lackluster: their technology, employee pay, benefits, office space...I could go on and on but there isn't enough space here to detail how terrible this place is!

My advice to anyone even remotely thinking about working here: steer clear!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. You might even learn something about how to properly run a business!

"TouchCommerce will take your career into a downward spiral"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I have been working at TouchCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an onsite gym, but it smells nasty and has old equipment that few employees use.

Cons

The recent acquisition by Nuance has only solidified TouchCommerce's reputation for being a horrible company to work for. The pitiful benefits that existed prior to the acquisition have only worsened and many employees continue to question how much more mediocre the company can become. Lack of communication and cooperation between departments continues to be a serious issue.

Anyone who's thinking about joining this awful place should think twice before they resign themselves into taking a huge step back in their professional career.

"TouchCommerce recently bought out by Nuance - In the ensuing months this will be a different company."

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time

Pros

Flexibility schedule wise if you are not a chat agent. Yoga, walk/runs, cross-fit, office parties and such. Working with Fortune 100 companies also looks good on a resume. casual dress, scenic location. I was paid well some; people are not.

Cons

Middle management is rife with office politics. Most middle managers are not qualified for what they are doing and got their jobs suspiciously. Profit margins are TIGHT thus "chat sales agents," who dialog with customers, are managed like the "rowers on a viking ship." (They are paid $13.00 an hour though.) The work is boring from top to bottom and the socially, culturally I found many people there to be woefully boring and as one reviewer put it, "vulgar."

Advice to Management

I like the CEO, I was told he saved the company during the real estate crisis of 2008/2010 by procuring a slew of European clients and $9-million in additional funding from a venture capital group. He is affable and kind. I feel the company has primarily floated upon his back and that of the sales and finance teams since then.

Since that time the company had a window to pivot into something bigger (e.g. SnapChat, WeChat or otherwise) but a lack of vision and a CTO married to an interface framework called MXML held the company back tech wise. (MXML is an interface language created in 2004 by Macromedia and now, IMHO, laughably obsolete.) I bring this up since more advanced communication applications like Viber, Snap Chat and WeChat have become billion-dollar companies with fast and functional products even though TouchCommerce was doing chat years before they were.

Operations: The COO is very good at running "chat sales agent" teams and their offshore counterparts. It's a tight ship and ran very well. The lights are on and the bills get paid, however, I am astonished that both Finance, Operations and the CTO allow the company to pay for numerous Dev teams when only one, or possibly two of these teams are producing any sort of a return on investment.

Finance: Never missed a paycheck and the company was sold to Nuance at around $208-million; $80-million cash, the rest of the payment in Nuance stock I believe. A notable accomplishment considering the weak front end technology they use is not very flexible.

Some middle management teams below the highest levels are demonstrably weak. These teams include Client Service Managers whose members have been known to embarrass themselves often in work meetings and otherwise. The employees these managers "boss around" are generally more effectual than they are and could arguably lead themselves better if they had schedules and benchmarks rather than treated like emergency "short order cooks." (emphasis on some not all.)

Another glaring example, TouchCommerce has managers who work form home most days/weeks/months completely MIA during a crunch. (I think two or more live out of state and some of them I don't even know what they did?)

My advice is to tightened them up by allowing their "underlings" to do performance reviews on them. I advise that weak managers be put back where they were last doing well or get rid of them; client retention is at risk... I kid you not.

Finally, I left when the company apexed as a business. The true equity within the company was from the gigabytes worth of chat transcripts that can be data-mined to potentially create an A.I. "chat bot," (This is an ambitious goal and the jury is out if it can be done). Next is the client list: Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon. These contracts are the the dollar making assets. They have not become a player in any other industry outside of telecom and it was time to move on.

For Human Resources: I suggest H.R. adopt a 360-degree feedback where employees can rate their bosses. this will ensure less low morale.

"A Vile Workplace"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Agoura Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Agoura Hills, CA

I have been working at TouchCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has finally been acquired. The CEO has accomplished his goal of selling off the company without having ever grown it into something substantial. His "golden parachute" is being prepped and he's ready to jump out off into the abyss.

Cons

Anyone who works at TC and has been with the company for any length of time knows that it's a vile place to work. People roam the workplace floor with frowns on their faces and morale is consistently low. Upper management couldn't give a rat's behind about how the employees feel - especially now that they're getting ready to cash in on the acquisition. Layoffs are likely and the hardest working employees will likely be adversely affected while the lazy unintelligent ones remain.

Advice to Management

The best thing that Nuance can do is to lose all the upper management clowns that have driven this company into the ground! Hopefully they'll do so once they realize how awful they are.

"Inspiring Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

Pros

TouchCommerce is definitely growing rapidly which translates to opportunities career wise as well as company efficiency opportunities with the growing work force. What worked well for one employee may not suit a group of ten.

The rapid growth has lead to growing pains including finding the amount of additional staff required at the rate it is needed (not a bad problem at all to have). While there is plenty of work to do, you are encouraged to constantly think outside of the box and question if what you are doing is the best way to accomplish something. Innovative thinkers are very much welcomed. A person who has the desire to get into the details, to understand the why, and then propose a new solution will do very well at the company.

As a person who loves to be challenged and learn constantly, I am very happy working at TouchCommerce. There are experts in numerous areas of the company who always welcome a good brainstorming session which leads new innovative new ideas and company improvements.

In general, the staff is pretty happy and positive. As you walk around the office there are plenty of smiling faces to say hello.

Cons

As a very rapidly growing tech company, to do well at the company and truly enjoy the role you must be able to adapt to change and welcome the challenge. If you do not enjoy being challenged and put into new situations then this may not be the best fit for you.

Location could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep brainstorming and making changes as new obstacles arise.

"This place should be shuttered"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I have been working at TouchCommerce full-time

Pros

TouchCommerce is a horrid company and had absolutely no pros to speak of. They should be shuttered for corrupt and deceitful business practices.

Cons

TouchCommerce should be barred from doing business. This company is incredibly shameful and has no respect for its employees. You're lied to from the moment you're onboarded. Promises will be made to you about salary raises, bonuses, time off, etc, but in the end, they all turn out to be lies.

Full-time employees and agents alike are treated like garbage (I'm writing this review as a full-time employee). There is discourse amongst departments and you'll waste the majority of your day sitting in useless meetings watching your peers argue with each other. This leads to products that are rushed out and never meet client expectations. Anyone who works in the online chat space knows full well that TC churns out lousy products and is far behind the curve when it comes to technology and what they offer vs the competition.

Advice to Management

Management is a disgrace. They should do the right thing and all resign (which unfortunately will never happen because they're so corrupt).

"Yesterday's Technology"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and needs people

Cons

They are using Java like it is still the 1990's. They are extremely rigid and closed to new ideas.

"Smoke & Mirrors"

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time

Pros

There are no pros to list for this company. Everything that is promised to you from the date you start working at TouchCommerce turns out to be a lie.

Cons

Just about everything at TouchCommerce is a con. From the office location to the people that work there to the horrible technology that they try to deploy. Most of the employees (not agents) get paid to surf the internet all day long. Nobody actually does any work and it shows in the quality of the products that the company sells. If anyone does make an attempt to do anything good or produce quality work, they get shafted for it.

TouchCommerce tries to tout themselves as being "one of the best places to work in LA". This is the biggest scam - and all the employees know it. It's a well known fact that the management team paid an outside company to be ranked and included in that survey!

Advice to Management

Time to clean up your act.

"It was embarassing to work at TC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at TouchCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best day for me at TouchCommerce was the day I got to walk out of the office after giving my notice to leave the company. Never having to step foot in there again was a blessing.

Cons

Working at TC was the biggest mistake I've ever made in my career. There is no structure at this company and the CEO and his C-level buffoons have turned the place into a circus. The morale of the employees is incredibly low. One look at the reviews on this site and it becomes evident that no one likes working here. I'm so glad that I found a much better job where I'm treated with respect and don't have to deal with all the BS that goes on here every day.

I strongly urge anyone who's considering working here to keep looking for something better. Don't make the same mistake that I did!