Touchnet Information Systems, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dan Toughey

1. "Good Company"

I worked at Touchnet Information Systems, Inc. full-time

Pros

Good company, competitive pay and benefits

Cons

Upper management likes to keep employees in the dark too much.

2. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Touchnet Information Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are good to work with

Cons

Mostly work on bug fixes. Not easily willing to try new technologies. Development cycle is a joke.

"Sales"

Pros

Good location, nice people to work with, clean building and adequate work space. Nice meeting spaces and areas for people to get together.

Cons

Parking can be a challenge at times. Working remotely is not necessarily an options. it is sometimes up to the discretion of a supervisor.

Advice to Management

The need for micro-management is not necessary if you believe you have a talented work force. Trust your employees more.

"Train wreck waiting to happen"

Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Touchnet Information Systems, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, competent, well-meaning staff
    Work/life balance ("work hard, play hard")
    Social responsibility
    Wellness program
    Company events

Cons

Disorganized
    Inefficient
    Under-staffed
    Poor training & documentation
    Overworked, non-innovative management
    Buggy software, getting worse
    Unreasonable security restrictions
    Inconsistent policies & products
    Far more reactive than proactive

Advice to Management

Hire more people
    Get better organized
    Cleanup documentation & training
    Think more progressively
    Demonstrate employee value
    Test products more thoroughly before releasing

"Lack of vision and led by fear"

I worked at Touchnet Information Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of smart people to work with, but not your managers/directors/Vice Presidents/President. Ok work life balance. No layoff scares. Built good relationships with co-workers of equal status. If you're in the inner circle there are spot bonuses.

Cons

President operates by fear and has obvious favorites. No promotions outside of the the inner circle. Pay increases were only for cost of living no matter how hard you work. If you are not part of the inner circle you might as well not really try you'll still get the cost of living increase. The leaders are usually not the brightest just know how to say yes.

Advice to Management

Let the worker bees do their thing and listen to their ideas hey are more in touch than the managers. Don't just hire owners friends for managers and directors. Don't be so scared of other opportunities many dropped balls through out the years.

"Changing Culture"

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Due to acquisitions climate is changing.

"Good benefits, lack of respect from upper management"

Pros

The benefits were good and employees were nice.

Cons

Lack of respect from upper management.
    Training was not sufficient when starting out.
    Upper management very disorganized and many disrespect the employees who actually get things done.
    Employees all seem apathetic due to upper management stifling their potential

Advice to Management

Step back and let your employees make the everyday decisions that they are capable of making. Trying to control every tiny thing in the workplace creates an unpleasant work environment where employees can't grow and use their full potential.

9. "Touchnet give me the opportunity to grow in my career. Is a relax environment company with high values."

Pros

Good family work balance
    Opportunity to grow
    Salary incentive in accordance with the market

Cons

Executive management makes all decisions

"The best company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Security Analyst in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Security Analyst in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Touchnet Information Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many pros to what TouchNet has to offer. First, the people I worked with are smart, hard working, and easy to get along with. My direct manager is one of the most intelligent people I have ever known who puts himself in front of his staff to take the brunt of any extra work load or early morning/late night hours. Something he could easily delegate. He doesn't micro-manage, supports new projects, and is an invaluable technical resource. The other department managers are equally as hardworking and dedicated to making TouchNet software the quality product it is today. For almost 8 years I have always been impressed by senior managements ability to effectively communicate to the staff. Dan, the president, would always go out of his way at company events to say hi to me and my family. At the office he was very personal and friendly. He has grown the company every year from 80 employees when I first started to 180 when I left and consistently increased profits year after year while responding to market changes accordingly. I have never once felt that he "...leads by fear..." as others have posted. He and the other executive staff are high quality individuals that are equally committed to making TouchNet a great place to work while continuing to grow and be profitable.

Second, the work/life balance is excellent. I worked 40 hours a week on a regular basis. Working more hours was very rare and usually a decision that I made and not one that was expected by my manager or anyone else at TouchNet. If I had a situation where I needed to keep an eye on a sick kid then I was allowed to work from home.

Third, the compensation was very fair and increased year after year. There were also yearly bonuses that every employee received. One year there was even a bonus in the summer as well as the end of the year because of some unexpected revenue. The bonus is not something that is guaranteed but we always received at least one because TouchNet is the kind of company that likes to give back to its employees. I am saying this because it is the impression that was made on me throughout the 8 years I was working at TouchNet.

Fourth, the environment is well maintained and always being improved upon. If I needed software, hardware, or extra training, it was provided. As TouchNet grew so did the facilities for its employees. There were 2 showers for when morning/afternoon exercise required its use and a large fully equipped kitchen with plenty of room to accommodate the fanciest of lunches.

The people aspect I consider no small thing. My wife, who works for the government, constantly tells me stories how a coworker or manager is treating her or someone else unfairly and without common respect. I would always tell her that behavior like that would never be allowed at TouchNet from an employee or manager. Nobody likes bad apples and they did not last long at TouchNet so perhaps that is where the negative reviews are coming from. I did not experience ANY of the cons that others have listed. I certainly didn't witness any negative interaction with Dan or anyone else on the management team.

Cons

The ONLY con was the drive from my home to work. Otherwise, my manager and upper management always supported working from home if the weather were really bad or if I had a sick family member to keep an eye on. It is things like this that made leaving TouchNet a very hard decision. A closer drive to my new job is one of the main reasons I left and not because of any problem I had with anything TouchNet did wrong or could have done better.

Advice to Management

Formal continuing education reimbursement.

11. "Software Operations Tech"

Current Employee - Software Operations Tech in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Software Operations Tech in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Touchnet Information Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, management is good and they treat everyone very well.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement, no furthering education