Cover image for Tovala

99% Recommend to a Friend
99% Approve of CEO

Found 43 of over 48 reviews

4.7
Tovala CEO David Rabie (no image)
David Rabie

77 Comments

Tech

633.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Tovala~1893341
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Tovala? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Tovala employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Great team!

Feb 3, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

You may hear that a company has an amazing group of people working for them, and that doesn't always turn out to be the case. For Tovala, it is 100% true! The people here are amazing, welcoming and incredibly smart. My onboarding experience has been amazing and the team here really believes in the product and cross collaboration.

Cons

No cons at this point!

2. 5.0

Great place to work/grow

Nov 2, 2022 - Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, caring, driven colleagues. Lots of interesting work and room to grow.

Cons

Transitioning from start-up to established company has some growing pains. Harder to make quick, important decisions than before.

3. Join the Tovala team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, challenged by the pains of a growing organization

Aug 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- As many of the reviews have said, almost everyone at Tovala is exceedingly kind and compassionate. Close partnership and teamwork are the bedrock of the day-to-day and everyone sees each other as human. -An interesting and exciting product/offering.

Cons

- Difficult to track a real career path because of startup environment - not clear how to get promoted or get to "next step" in career. - Because everyone is so kind and positive, it can feel like voicing challenges or raising issues is discouraged, but that's not productive in the long run. - Sometimes, culture can feel exclusive and driven by favoritism. - Progress on projects can be difficult because priorities change constantly and guideposts are moved.

5. 5.0

More than a startup

Mar 9, 2022 - Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is filled with very intelligent, driven, and fantastic individuals. Everyone is incredible supportive and looking to ensure that you succeed at the company. People are looking for ways to advance the company and willing to put egos aside to make that happen. Work life balance is pretty good. Unlimited PTO can often seem like a "trap" but the team is very encouraging of disconnecting from work and living a full life. Pay and benefits comp is pretty in line with industry from what I have seen.

Cons

This company is growing at an incredible rate, but it's in a situation where hiccups or issues with production can really strain the team. While the work life balance overall is great, there are scenarios where overtime, long hours, or even support overnight is required to make sure customer's expectations for that week's meals are met.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Toxic & Discriminating Environment

Mar 4, 2022 - Office Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pro was that God allowed me to get out of that toxic and opened up a door to a better opportunity.

Cons

This was the worst place I've ever worked at! The environment was toxic, leadership was toxic & I've witnessed discrimination and disrespect of staff several times including myself. I've witnessed minority staff members talked down to, cussed and yelled at by upper management to production works and maintenance, I was verbally attacked by the COO & an attempt to make me quit within a few months, I was singled out and picked on because of other staff members insecurities especially HR, the HR team was a joke..they were not personable at all; kept their door closed on many occasions while in office. They were not approachable & many employees did not feel comfortable speaking with them and thus on many occasions came to me in return with all their HR issues. There were days I would walk in & staff were crying and would confide in me about the stress, disrespect and toxicness of the environment and management. There were times you'd be micromanaged. It was a circus. They promote based upon who they like and biased relationships. Has nothing to do with experience and skill level. Save yourself...within 3 months the people who started around the time I started also left in under 6 months. It's one thing to profess certain core values within a company like how they're so inclusive, but when the day to day doesn't reflect such eventually the truth comes out.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture and benefits - strong values

Feb 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Tovala within the past year and have really enjoyed my time here so far. The onboarding experience for new hires has an emphasis on learning about not only the company, but your new teammates as well. There's a focus on team and community amongst the organization. Every teammate that I've encountered here has been so friendly, and on a lot of the cross-team meetings I've been a part of, I've observed the mutual respect that everyone has for one another. Living a full life is one of Tovala's values, and I can say on my team that this is strongly encouraged. PTO, along with the rest of the benefits package, is very generous. The ability to work remotely is also a huge perk!

Cons

Rapid growth happening in operations and hiring just hasn't been able to keep up, so some team's workflows are becoming a bit overwhelmed.

8. 5.0

Great Company with Strong Values

Jan 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great leadership team that lives and breathes the company's core values and also takes a long-term approach to growth. - Hard-working and intelligent teammates that are always willing to help. - Responsibilities can grow as the company grows. Since there are so many areas where the business can improve, one can also shape the direction of their career. - "Fail fast" mindset where you get to work on a lot of interesting projects and see their impact almost immediately. - Great culture - transparent, open, friendly, and AMAZING work/life balance (unlimited PTO where you have to take a minimum of 15 days, you get your birthday off, and long hours are not the norm). - Interesting and unique product offering.

Cons

- Since it's still a startup, things are not very structured, so this is not a place for people who are not comfortable with ambiguity or rapidly changing priorities. - Some knowledge is still esoteric, which can lead to tedious business processes.

9. 5.0

Awesome, growing company

Jan 25, 2022 - Senior Frontend Developer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Co-workers are incredibly talented and friendly - I've met some of the smartest people I've ever worked with and everyone has a growth and learning mindset so I never feel out of place for asking questions or not knowing something. - Work-life balance is great - even though we're a startup, the company takes work/life balance seriously. I'm working normal weeks and feel trusted to get my work done on my own time. - Leadership is extremely transparent - I've learned things about running a business that I never knew before and I never am guessing where we're at as a company. - Culture is fun - there have been great company events, fun Slack channels for getting to know your co-workers and sharing your personality and things like book clubs

Cons

- Compensation is a little below other places but is improving as we grow. Benefits are great though.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing culture and opportunities for growth!

Feb 9, 2022 - Senior Data Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Work-life balance is emphasized AND demonstrated by higher ups - our C-Suite execs always make a point to take vacations and time off and encourage everyone to do the same * Engineers get to have a say in what work gets done and how it gets done. We also have the opportunity to solve lots of different diverse and interesting problems. * Super collaborative environment both on the tech side of things and with other teams * Data-driven culture at an early stage start-up, which is uncommon * Discount on our delicious meals and a free oven! I'm totally hooked on mine!

Cons

This isn't strictly a con, but Tovala is a rapidly growing start up so it wouldn't be a great fit for someone who wants a very consistent and disciplined routine.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee

Incredible and Fun Company with a Delicious Product.

Mar 24, 2022 - HR Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very focused on creating a good atmosphere for employees. Fun and exciting product that you can be proud of when telling your friends where you work. Stock options for all employees to promote growing with the company. Great options for medical insurance that aren't too costly. Dental and Vision offered too. STD and Life insurance at no cost. 401k with employer match. Generous PTO. Paid week off at Christmastime Sick Pay. Paid Maternity/Paternity leave Company SWAG. Employee Discounts.

Cons

Expericing some growing pains. Mostly with staffing and training. Occasionally feels like there is a disconnect between production and HQ, but they try hard to bridge that gap.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 43 Reviews
</>Embed

Tovala Reviews FAQs

Tovala has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5, based on over 48 reviews left anonymously by employees. 99% of employees would recommend working at Tovala to a friend and 93% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Tovala employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Tovala. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

99% of Tovala employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Tovala 4.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.7 for culture and values and 4.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Tovala to be senior leadership, career development, benefits and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, compensation.

Popular Careers with Tovala Job Seekers