Tower Loan Reviews in Birmingham, AL | Glassdoor

Birmingham, AL Area

2.2
Francis C. Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great pay, great benefits, and great people" (in 10 reviews)

• "Good pay and good benefits after 1 year" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Insurance company it's partnered with, long hours" (in 29 reviews)

• "10-12 months of hard work to get noticed and no vacations day" (in 10 reviews)

"This is a great place for a long and lasting career."

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Tower Loan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training program, promotions from within and great team spirit. The company is growing quickly and responsibly in order to provide even more opportunities.

Cons

Only very committed people will find long term success. Relocation is not for everyone so please be honest with yourself and the company when applying.

Advice to Management

Stay connected to the needs of your customers and employees alike.

"Over worked and Under paid"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bessemer, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bessemer, AL

I worked at Tower Loan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hour lunch, get to decorate the office

Cons

High turnover rate, unappreciative of its employees

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth, you can’t throw a huge work load on somebody and not compensate them effectively.

"Great People - Just Was Not for Me"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Hoover, AL

I worked at Tower Loan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone from peers to upper management was incredibly friendly, genuine, and care about my development within the company

Clear and well explained path for upward-mobility within the company

Feedback and training from managers was above and beyond what I could have wanted or expected from a first job right out of college

Lunch and dinner with my former manager and regional manger

If your branch is well-established and successful, there is additional compensation potential

Cons

Long hours and expectation to work some Saturdays if your branch is underperforming

Vacation time not available until a full year of employment

Tower Loan is over a decade behind in terms of technology

The majority of my duties was working on collections - included calling references and places of employment (knew this was part of the job but was not expecting it to be the vast majority of the work I would be doing) - part of issue going to work at a less-established branch

Difficult to provide loans and later try to collect on loans from people with low income along with other issues (a con in many finance positions, not just TL)

Advice to Management

Keep going what you're doing. I thuroughly enjoyed my experiences with managers at every level of the company.

"Makes no sense"

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Tower Loan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's room for advancement.

Cons

For overtime you don't get paid time and a half, you get paid half your hourly pay. (Ex. 47 hours worked.... 14.12x40 regular pay + 7.06x7 fluctuating pay) basically the more hours you work, the less you get paid. They don't pay for your rent being broken or all relocation fees when being promoted.

Advice to Management

Find a better job with better hours, compensation and don't let them get over on you telling you that they'll pay this but don't actually do it etc.

"I asked for a day off, three weeks notice and was declined. My grandfathers dying of cancer. Greediest company."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Tower Loan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Monday-Friday job for CSRs. other than that there are no pros. job security sucks!

Cons

long hours. management immaturity. strict management. no days off. soliciting nonstop. if you don't wear heels and are female they will say something. constant discouragement. everything is a race here and if you don't preform you will get scolded.

Advice to Management

my advise to management would be to lay off their CSRs and MTs. we are the feet of the company. we bring in majority of the loans. we bust our butts to make the company money. 20 loans a month, not including new customers, is unrealistic in a small branch. tower loan has made me cry over and over because of how they've made me feel. I do NOT recommend working here. pay isn't even that great. I'm considering leaving and taking a pay cut just to be happy again. did I mention interest rates are 30%+?? it must feel good giving people money and charging them crazy amounts. poor people.