Tower Research Capital LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tower Research Capital LLC CEO Mark Gorton
Mark Gorton

Pros
Cons
  • Internal chargebacks to trading teams disincentivizes trying new things (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge depending on what you do (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work if you value work life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tower Research Capital LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work life balance.
    Great benefits. Lots of company outings where you can participate with your co- workers, family and friends.
    Company is committed in building infrastructure improve work flow and processes.

Cons

The office set up can be noisy at times therefore it can be hard to focus on your work

Advice to Management

Senior Management visibility and communication to ensure company is on the right track.

"Core Engineering Software Developer"

Current Employee - Core Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Core Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tower Research Capital LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined immediately after college so Tower is my first job.
    * Interchangeability between teams/offices(regions)
    * Relative freedom to choose the stuff you want to work on.

Cons

* Very self contained world where you loose perspective of the rest of the world
    * Relative lack of idols
    * A lot of focus is on increasing the breadth of your knowledge, where as you might be more interested in increasing the depth.

Advice to Management

Work on these cons!
    * Relative lack of idols

"Fun Place To Work"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Administrator in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Administrator in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Tower Research Capital LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed office environment
    Casual dress
    Junk food and drinks everywhere
    free breakfast and lunch daily
    Quarterly office parties
    Numerous company outings
    Everyone is friendly
    Highly technical company

Cons

-Lack of feedback given over a long period (2 months in I was doing wonderful, but 4 months later I'm somehow screwing up everything)

-My manager was scatterbrained and he left task delegation up to the co-workers on my team, which usually created further problems since they didn't delegate tasks effectively

-Parties are on Thursday nights

- Myself and another employee (out of 5 of us) rotated between two offices on a weekly basis so it was hard to keep track of everything, I was expected to know about everything going on in the other office (including the locations of specific things that may have been moved by the 3 employees that were there permanently) even though I wasn't there for a week, as well as the office I was currently in . So effectively, the two of us had to manage twice as much as the 3 other guys. We were also expected to complete tasks in the other office even though we were supposed to be the only one in the smaller office all week.

-Must be a master of multi-tasking, I was expected to be doing about 3 to 5 different things at any point in time. Sometimes I was expected to do things that required me to be at my desk and away from my desk simultaneously! I was actually reprimanded for spending too much time doing one essential project that was given to me by a co-worker and had a short deadline ("what were you doing WHILE you were working on the laptop?")

- 3 people had seniority in my team, two were local but in different physical locations and didn't communicate much, the third was about 1,000 miles away and wanted me to do things differently than my boss did, so there was always a he said/she said scenario arising.

Advice to Management

Stop spreading yourself so thin and keep track of things more efficiently

"Unique environment, fun, pays well, quirky, maybe a little immature"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Smart colleagues, excellent compensation, responsive IT, time-off is great, work-life balance taken seriously, lots of perks, parties & outings. Office is beautiful ( Eastern decor may not appeal to everyone ). Great rooftop space. Cutting edge technology. Lots of freedom to explore your own ideas.

Cons

Workforce is on the young side ( lots of fresh-outs ) and office environment sometimes caters towards the post-college crowd in a negative way. Management very hit-or-miss, some are tough micro-managers and others seem to be "checked out". Lack of visibility into the firm's "numbers" in any meaningful way ( you should expect this at these types of firms . )

Advice to Management

The "post-college" vibe may be off-putting to more senior hires; don't underestimate the value experienced hires can bring. Vision and medium-term strategy needs to be communicated to employees better.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at Tower Research Capital LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Groups are charged based on what they spend. Team bonus is formulaic and based on sharpe. The infrastructure team is top notch. Great parties and fun social life.

Cons

Trading groups are heavily silo'ed. There isn't much interaction across groups. Expectations aren't always made clear with regards to risk and performance.

"Silo culture, nice and extremely qualified people, amazing perks, a lot of freedom , best performance-based pay around."

Former Employee - Quantitative Trader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Quantitative Trader in New York, NY

I worked at Tower Research Capital LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely qualified people, the purest form of meritocracy (pnl-based), a lot of freedom, super casual environment, very relaxed but focused atmosphere, top technology, best (by far) performance-based pay/incentive structure around, insane perks (a free on-site pantry which is almost a full grocery store, free lunch/breakfast, free tickets to NYC shows, very beautiful yet informal offices, etc.).

Cons

Work on your own (or come with your group). Until achieving reasonable p/l (unless arriving with huge reputation), any group will enjoy extremely limited human support (programmers, collaboration, etc)..

Advice to Management

Perhaps some optional collaborative structure for those who have potential but are struggling with so many tasks to implement a winning strategy. Also, a standardized progress measures which would keep closer tabs at groups' along the way (even before going live) and not only when it is time to send them packing for lack of performance (when they act very swiftly).

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Tower Research Capital LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and smart coworkers.
    The office located at the heart of NYC and has awesome roof deck to enjoy sunshine with your lunch. People at Tower are very bright while they are kind of laid-back compared to other financial firms. The culture makes all employers feel they belong to one big family.

Cons

Since this is a hedge fund, you cannot change the world of your friend. If you are more into making ordinary people's life better, this is not the place for you.

9. "Senior Quantitative Trader"

I have been working at Tower Research Capital LLC full-time

Pros

smart colleagues, nice office, decent pay

Cons

lack of opportunity for advancement

"good benefits, pressure cooker at times"

I worked at Tower Research Capital LLC full-time

Pros

great ppl, lots of free food and snacks, some parteis were off the hook

Cons

sometimes deadlines were unrealistic, but we got it done but not much recognition. lack of direction sometimes about what the junior guys shoudl be doing. lacking some good managment maybe.

"Trader"

Pros

Good people. Good food. Many events.

Cons

Infrastructure not so good. needs more info.